218358 Bullies, 7407 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/15/2013 4:19pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

Hell yeah! Hell no!

IF: Intermittent Fasting - Body Hack or BS

If you've seen the above picture you probably already know about Intermittent Fasting via LeanGains, a blog run by, strangely enough, the guy in the picture: Martin Berkham. Berkham's a proponent of IF and has created an entire diet protocol based on it.

But for those of you who've never heard of this crap before, here's what I've learned in the past few days since stumbling upon it:

• In the simplest version of IF, you eat only for a set "window" and fast the rest. For example, 8 hour window in which you have your meals.
    • You still count your calories if you're trying to lose weight and it's not an excuse to eat garbage
    • There's a lot of both hype and science behind why IF is a good thing

Basically the benefits/concept behind this is that your entire system, from your GI tract to your insulin levels/etc. all function better if they're not being pinged every few hours. This is contrary to the "small meals through the day" protocol which has been going around for the past decade or so.

The list of suggested benefits (via TheIFLife.com):

• Reduced blood glucose and insulin levels (markers of improved health)
    • Increased fatty acid oxidation
    • Maintenance of lean mass (muscle)
    • Reduced inflammation
    • Reduced oxidative damage
    • Increased cellular stress resistance (esp of heart and brain)
    • Decreased risks associated with degenerative diseases of aging (cancers, heart diseases, diabetes, Alzheimers)

Which sets my Skeptic Sense ringing, but from what I've read (so far) there is some credible science behind it.

So has anyone had any experience with IF? I've been trying it for two days so far, and should probably keep a log about my experiences. But the only thing I've noticed is a weird feeling in my midsection, combined with a furious and righteous hunger up until 12 PM when my "feeding window" opens.

Transmaniacon MC

Posted On:
    5/15/2013 4:42pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not sure if the same thing, but I rarely eat breakfast. So, my daily meals are lunch and dinner, which average at 1pm and 7pm. Been this way for at least 10 years, probably longer if I put my head down to think about it. I do frequently eat crap, though, especially at lunch.

I don't look anything like Steve Reeves. When I started (back) into MA, I was already on this "diet," and tipped the scales at 180. Now, I need a pocket full of change to get me over 145. Incidentally, 145 was my weight pretty consistently from high school until I got my first desk job post-military.

To sum up: I can't speak to other measures of health, but I would have to say that regular exercise is the best way to lose weight. This smells like just another diet fad.

You know me...the snakebite hiss, the Devil's Grip, the Iron Fist

Posted On:
    5/15/2013 5:11pm

supporting member
     Style: Hung Fist, BJJ, Qi Gong

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wondered if there was any other animal on earth that fasts or is it a thing peculiar to humans?

It was interesting to see how the fasting routines of other animals affects their metabolism.

Here is some proof that fasting creates extremely resilient animals and extremely resilient animals fast...some of the toughest things on Earth.

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    5/15/2013 5:19pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The fasting thing is mainly bullshit, but the people on this IF thing end up eating a more managed diet, so it does get them results.

It's kind of funny though how people have to be wowed with some psudo science before they will make a change. Tell them to make a sensible eating plan and stick to it, they won't even give it a proper go - they probably think their diet is already good, and the change isn't big enough to make a difference. Give them a bunch of arbitrary and pointless, but very noticeable rules they have to follow, and all of a sudden they really try.

Posted On:
    5/15/2013 5:56pm

Style: BJJ, MMA, JJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dr. Michael Mosley's 'Eat, Fast, Live Longer' documentary aired here a few weeks back (not sure if it was a repeat).

Although the importance of the measures of health/longevity relied upon are never fully explained or quantified, nevertheless it made for some interesting viewing. Geared more towards the 'I want to live longer and be healthier without changing my lifestyle' crowd though.

http://www.sbs.com.au/documentary/program/1196
    Dum spiro, spero.
    Tada gan iarracht.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/15/2013 7:44pm

Style: muay thai

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fasting is what I do when I sleep. I don't see the point in going hungry during the day.

Posted On:
    5/15/2013 9:04pm

Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some of our guys do it. and swear by it. 12 hour ones. But they also quite often have to cut weight too. So much the same thing

https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.ph...type=3&theater

Young danny here with his washboard abbs and ability to beat people up. Did explain it to me. But I got lost somwhere after the reason fasting is good is.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Welterweight

Posted On:
    5/15/2013 10:14pm

supporting member
     Style: belt and jacket wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think the only benefit is a psychological one. Some people prefer to eat larger meals, and some prefer to eat smaller ones throughout the day. Recent research has shown that the total macronutrient load is ultimately important, regardless of meal frequency. For me, fasting just tempts me to cheat.

I say that, but then have recently given Eat Stop Eat a shot, for curiosity's sake, and it's been pretty cool. It's two 24-hour fasts a week, without compensating for the fasting with overeating.

Posted On:
    5/16/2013 5:47am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    IF is a great way to control calorie intake and manage hunger. Myself and most others do not even get hungry during the fast.

Any other suggested benefits are pseudo science at best and the man who popularized it is IMO a paranoid egomaniac who cherry picks studies.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Posted On:
    5/16/2013 6:02am

Style: MMA, Yoga

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cualltaigh View Post
    Dr. Michael Mosley's 'Eat, Fast, Live Longer' documentary aired here a few weeks back (not sure if it was a repeat).

Although the importance of the measures of health/longevity relied upon are never fully explained or quantified, nevertheless it made for some interesting viewing. Geared more towards the 'I want to live longer and be healthier without changing my lifestyle' crowd though.

http://www.sbs.com.au/documentary/program/1196
    Argh my parents saw that show and went that route with their diet. I hear constant bullshit about the evils of high protein diets and fad diets for years then they jump right on the next pop culture diet.

From what i understand, the theory is that you can improve longevity by fasting because calorie restriction switches your body from growth to repair mode or some such. They had some success testing on lab mice but recently a 30 year study of monkeys finished with no improved lifespan due to calorie restriction.

End of the day if you are carrying belly fat and can find a diet strategy that helps you lose it, it'll probably help you live longer.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast