221470 Bullies, 4048 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 567 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    5/20/2013 10:31am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    For the amount of money a tuned 1911 costs you'd expect the thing to cycle without issue.
    As awesome as the 1911 is, it can't hang with the best modern combat pistols. The 1911 will always have a higher malfunction rate. They're still badass though.

I agree with dwkfym about not basing the purchase decision too heavily on hand size / grip size. I would pick the weapon that is best suited to the application you intend to use it for. Some pistols may feel awkward in the hand, especially to inexperienced shooters who don't have much to compare it to. But almost any adult can handle nearly every pistol out there with proper training.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    5/20/2013 12:26pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    AR prices are dropping. I've been watching them since they screamed "BBBBBAAAAAAAAAANNNNNN." They are about $50-$100 more than they were if you order online, back before the December shooting. Local dealers and stores still have the outrageous markups of $300-$500. There was a point when they were going for quadruple the prices.

Ammunition prices suck now.
    LOL, I never had a thing for ARs...glad to hear prices are dropping though.

What is really pissing me off is that I can't buy a brick of .22 LR ammo for my kids to shoot ground squirrells...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Posted On:
    5/20/2013 12:36pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wetware View Post
    I'm certainly with you on not liking the feel of a Glock. They're fine weapons and pretty accurate but that grip angle is a non-starter for me.
    Interesting...I had shot a glock maybe once before I got a job in which I have to carry a pistol all day. They are ugly, made of plastic, and all that.

Then I had to qualify with a Glock 22.

It was the easiest handgun to shoot I've ever shot in my entire life. Yes, the trigger sucks, but that didn't seem to make any difference. The thing just shoots where I point it, recoil is not bad, recovery on target is fast, the sight picture is really good. It it were a 17 I'm sure I would have shot even better than I did (91%) when I qualified (and that was with several rounds weak side).

However, everyone has their preferences, just sharing my experience.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    5/20/2013 1:15pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not a fan of the Glock trigger at all. I'd rather shoot a single action any day. But I always come back to the fact that I know that ************ is going to go bang when I pull the trigger.

It's still a very shootable pistol though if you know how to shoot. Even my little Glock 26 is no problem to shoot. Most pistols are shootable if you know how to shoot. Just like a great guitarist can make a shitty guitar sound like angels singing.

Yours truly

Posted On:
    5/20/2013 10:39pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is my ranking of importance of my preference in a handgun.
    1. Reliability
    2. Proper size and weight for my application
    3. Accuracy
    4. 'Shootability' (to me, specifically, is how quickly can I make follow up shots? note that this doesn't mean 'low recoil.' most people are a lot less recoil sensitive than they think, after some training)
    5. Features (for example, I prefer DA trigger in carry weapons. Light, long pull is what I like. slide release, external safeties, extrenal hammer, etc)
    6. Trigger feel
    7. Overall 'Feel'

Too many people, IMO, place too much importance in 6 and 7. When I bought the SR9C, I made a mistake. I bought it basically placing heavy emphasis on 5, 6, and 7.
    to me, an M&P and Glock is on top of all that. Another thing i think people place too much emphasis is a DA trigger pull. Practice a bit. Benefits of a DA pull exist, and once it isn't such a problem for you, you might re-evaluate a pistol differently and be able to enjoy it much better.
    www.pdsrifles.com Add us on facebook!
    Parts and Accessories
    Law Enforcement Firearms

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/21/2013 12:22am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    LOL, I never had a thing for ARs...glad to hear prices are dropping though.
    Well, I got burned on the last "ban" restriction. The Mossberg streetsweeper or the cobray go for triple not including the federal stamp. So, even though I do not want one, I'm contemplating getting an AK-47 and an AR-15.

What is really pissing me off is that I can't buy a brick of .22 LR ammo for my kids to shoot ground squirrells...
    You and me both. Have you read the conspiracy theorists on this crap? WOW!

Benefits of a DA pull exist, and once it isn't such a problem for you, you might re-evaluate a pistol differently and be able to enjoy it much better.
    I love DA guns.

Posted On:
    5/21/2013 1:27am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dwkfym View Post
    1. Reliability
    3. Accuracy
    4. 'Shootability' (to me, specifically, is how quickly can I make follow up shots? note that this doesn't mean 'low recoil.' most people are a lot less recoil sensitive than they think, after some training)
    5. Features (for example, I prefer DA trigger in carry weapons. Light, long pull is what I like. slide release, external safeties, extrenal hammer, etc)
    6. Trigger feel
    7. Overall 'Feel'
    I know the Walther P99 has 5-7 down how do you feel about its qualities for points 1 & 2?

Posted On:
    5/21/2013 9:25am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dwkfym View Post
    1. Reliability
    3. Accuracy
    6. Trigger feel
    7. Overall 'Feel'

Too many people, IMO, place too much importance in 6 and 7. When I bought the SR9C, I made a mistake. I bought it basically placing heavy emphasis on 5, 6, and 7.
    to me, an M&P and Glock is on top of all that. Another thing i think people place too much emphasis is a DA trigger pull. Practice a bit. Benefits of a DA pull exist, and once it isn't such a problem for you, you might re-evaluate a pistol differently and be able to enjoy it much better.

I agree and I wouldn't disregard a pistol because of the trigger pull. I'm a Glock man. But all things considered, I'd rather have a nicer trigger.

Posted On:
    5/21/2013 11:23am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was dry fire praticing this morning. I agree with comments that it's a matter of practice, and that too much emphasis is put on trigger pull in terms of shooting under stress (self defense/combat). If I'm paying attention to the trigger pull on the 22, it's crappy, when I'm drawing and firing, I don't notice it.

I prefer not to have to operate a separate safety. I find the ones on the 1911 et al are usually difficult for me to operate, even with practice (they always seem just out of reach to me).

I think that the Glock trigger could be better. The S&W M&P was better when I tried it in the store.

However, under stress, I'm not sure I'd notice. I know when I qualified, I didn't notice at all. It goes bang and the slugs when where I was aiming more or less, and I could easily recover...so well in fact the scorer laughed and told me I could slow down, when in fact I was going slower than I could have and still easily qualified.

I'm no expert by any means, but the Glock was a lot easier to handle safely than a 1911, as much as I like 1911 style pistols.

Posted On:
    5/21/2013 11:29am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Well, I got burned on the last "ban" restriction. The Mossberg streetsweeper or the cobray go for triple not including the federal stamp. So, even though I do not want one, I'm contemplating getting an AK-47 and an AR-15.

You and me both. Have you read the conspiracy theorists on this crap? WOW!

I love DA guns.
    I got "burned" on the Clinton ban...I bought a Mini-30 for wayyyy too much money. I had money to burn at the time, so it wasn't a tragedy, but still...Plus the darned Mini-30 has a .308 cal barell, which is a bit tight for the cheap Russian and Chinese ammo. Ruger seemed to think that people would be reloading for a rifle that will hardly group in a paper plate at 75 yards, LOL.

I have not read the conspiracy stuff on the .22 ammo. I have been scrounging spare rounds from all over the house, drawers, coat pockets, under the truck seat, etc. The boys both have Cricket rifles, but we'd be out of ammo if they shot as much as they want too, with no other ammo available.

I can still get 20 gauge game loads though, so all is not lost!

I like simple, and DA pistols are simple. At least the Glocks, M&P et al.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 567 LastLast