Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/12/2013 2:52pm

Style: Out of Practice

Hell yeah! Hell no!

A Devil of an Idea

Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    Maybe we need something new to talk about. Maybe the site needs a new (or additional) mission. A new challenge. I think goodlun made a good point about the strip mall dojos. I was thinking the same thing last night. Maybe that's the final frontier in martial arts bullshit.

IIF is right. The general thought process here has always been to let martial artists be as silly as they want as long as they aren't defrauding people, making outrageous claims for personal gain, etc. But maybe it's time to use a new approach to target a new demographic - PARENTS WHO PAY MONEY FOR THEIR KIDS TO LEARN **** THAT WON'T KEEP THEM FROM GETTING BEATEN UP.

That demographic is untapped and those parents are clueless. I'm not suggesting we attack individual McDojos as if they were all run by Ashida Kim. But maybe a forum centered on promoting quality training for kids. Something that would be highly visible and immediately pop up on people's radars when they ask Google about martial arts for Little Johnny.

And yes, such a forum would have to be moderated with an iron fist like Newbietown. But the bullies would be motivated to be on their best behavior by understanding the secret evil plan to rid the world of strip mall McDojos.

This is an area in which Bullshido could still do good things and be relevant to the progress of martial arts. The MMA revolution has emptied the McDojos of able bodied men in their prime who want to know how to fight. I think Bullshido helped with that revolution. It helped me and I helped others after I learned better. Why don't we finish emptying these dojos?

This is not completely on-topic for this thread so I'm making a new thread, but I feel compelled to express the great agreement I feel for the above post and make a suggestion for an initial subject of interest.

Z-Ultimate Self-Defense Studios

I guarantee that it is a McDojo of the purest sort, that its influence is widespread, and that its schools are packed to the gills with young children.

(Most of the advertising is done face-to-face, on the street, by way of dispensing brochures and collecting phone numbers for use in occasional solicitation. Most parents I've spoken to, however, want to look for more information online before actually making a commitment.)
    Last edited by Eudemic; 5/12/2013 3:13pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/12/2013 6:26pm

Style: Kickboxing , BJJ starter

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Number 1 tip on how to spot McDojo
    There are payment marks all over the site

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/12/2013 7:45pm

Style: being a fatty

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well hey, this is where I trained Kempo. It's a McDojo (chain establishment, insane prices, omgwtfbbq!?!?! belt test fees) and most of them are Bullshidos too.

They work by a contract system of 1 month, 6 month, 1 year, and 2 year programs, with descending [unit] prices on each one. They also have a recurring subscription system as well.

I was lucky enough to go to one where they vouched for sparring heavily and regularly went full contact. It was to the point where forms and material were unnecessary for the belt test. If you could beat up your sparring partners, you would advance in rank, regardless of how poorly you did in forms, combinations, etc. (Unless, in a blue moon, a master overseeing the test says no.)

Like my old Shaolin, they were far too expensive for me to justify continuing training there. It just wasn't worth it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/12/2013 9:28pm

Style: Out of Practice

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And none of that includes the money they want for uniforms and gear. . .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/12/2013 10:58pm

Style: being a fatty

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eudemic View Post
    And none of that includes the money they want for uniforms and gear. . .
    That's true, though I was allowed to use my own gloves and mouthpiece.