Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/12/2013 1:06pm

Style: Goju Ryu Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

what to do about rrunners knee

Im worried this will give me knee arthritis or something. I cant squat or run cause im afraid it will make my knee worse
    As it is it only hurts when i walk upstairs but its come and gone 3 times now
    How should i work outto getric of the problem

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    5/12/2013 2:43pm

staff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Go.See.Doctor.
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    5/13/2013 1:37pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    By runners knee you probably mean Patella Femoral Syndrome? A good physio therapist will help you with this problem.

I suffer from it too, its a hereditary condition that you'll always have to deal with. Most of my research on the subject leads to two issues. One being that the Vastus Medialis is weak compared to the Vastus Medialis, causing the Patella to track poorly. The other possibility is that the glutes are not firing properly, causing your hip to rotate incorrectly.

This thread goes into the subject into a greater depth. http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=120441

My PFS got really bad over the winter, due mostly to inactivity from being at work and not being able to work out much. Since I got back in the gym I started a rehabd program that has seen huge results. I a) started working my glutes more extensively than I was, and b) I started doing single leg exercises to stregnthen the weak muscles. There is some debate as to the best way to work the Vastus Medialis, which you can research for yourself, but I've found doing single leg exercises help the most. Try getting on the leg press and, using one leg at a time for sets of 12, bring the machine down as far as you can, like until your knees touch your chest. This is really difficult with knee pain, even with an empty machine (!).

Other exercises to look up are Paterson set-ups, lunges, and I use the knee extension machine even though some say its bad for your knee. It doesn't bother me (again doing each leg by itself) but it may bother you. Eventually you want to work up to doing squats again, although I'm skipping squats atm and just doing deadlifts.

For immediate relief try taking a foam roller or even just a tennis ball and roll it over the outside of the leg above the knee. You should feel it be quite tender, and thats where you need to push hard.

Before all the bitches jump on me for not being a Doctor, obviously I'm not a fucking Doctor.

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    5/13/2013 3:52pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wierd it wont let me edit my post.

In the second para, it should read "One being that the Vastus Medialis is weak compared to the Vastus Lateralis...."

Posted On:
    5/14/2013 5:52am

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I found that some good knee bandages help some. And strengthening the leg muscles slowly.
    If you can avoid some exercises that make it worst (like running) do it, and maybe start biking or swimming instead.
    Also, if you are packing some overweight, it will help a great deal to loos it (knee pain wise).
    Don't do stuff that hurt, like if you try and squat, and it hurts bad, than stop. Do something else for your legs instead.

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    5/14/2013 11:46am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lately Ive found biking difficult with PFS.

Posted On:
    6/14/2013 3:04pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shotokan, Muay Thai, Kemp

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can't agree with Rock Ape enough. I thought I had runner's knee and after about 6 months of trying ice, ibuprofen, and lighter exercises, I saw my doctor. He initially thought it was tendinitis, and we set a regimen for that. 6 weeks and an MRI later, we learned I had a partially detached patella tendon.

Go See Your Doctor!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2013 1:01pm

Style: Grappling/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I found the 'Front Foot Elevated Spilt Squat' exercise from this article helped my knees and my right knee in particular quite a bit.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...ing_water_fowl