Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/14/2013 12:43pm

Style: Brazillian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    Sensei Linzi certainly warned people not to chew gum or wear jewelry, and keep nails short.
    Interestingly, my wife always chews gum when doing judo/jits. She says it helps her stay calm and avoid panic/claustrophobia. I guess it helps with nervous energy. I personally just chew on my mouth guard, lol

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/14/2013 12:57pm

Style: Brazillian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Last night @ BJJ: We were working a drill where you start in guard, the bottom person hits a sweep (first was a timing/hip bump sweep, then scissor, then scissor with push assist), and the person on top would upa/shrimp and reguard as soon (or before if possible) their back hit the mat. The emphasis was on not allowing the opponent to firmly establish a dominant position, and reacting/escaping as soon as possible (because it's easier to reguard BEFORE they've got the position firmly established).

Lastly we added a gi choke to the end, so sweep to mount, and go for the lapel choke and the other person would have to defend and replace or defend and upa. Worked with my wife as usual :) Good times!

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    5/14/2013 1:37pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    I took a college PE class taught by a judo coach, and saw how difficult it can be to teach a huge class of raw beginners. This guy was a great coach, but if you wandered into class you'd see terrible shrimping, girls avoiding any effort that might muddle their appearance, 110% compliant partners, people who forgot to take off watches and jewelry, larpers practicing t3h d34dly while they were supposed to be working on something else, frat guys trying to chat up hot girls, people studying hidden flash cards for their test next hour, people incapable of ukemi and also incapable of trying. All kinds of bullshit. With over 100 people, what do you do? Take time out of the lesson to scold adults like a bunch of five year olds?
    That many people in a Judo beginners class is not a responsible thing to do unless they can be broken up into smaller groups with individual instructors (100!), in a LARGE training area.

When I was teaching at Uni, class size was limited to 25 or less (these were for credit PE course), and we had mutiple sections.

I had women quit because I told them they had to cut their nails, and people quit because the had to take out facial piercings (ears can be covered with tape usually).

We had from time to time the larpers who had the d34dly and were all worried about "street applications", commented on how "that wouldn't work if I did this or that". They were sad in their delusion, and couldn't seem to differentiate the Judo classes were PE classes, not self defense classes. We would send then to the martial arts club where their delusions were pampered and amplified for the sake of building up class size.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Posted On:
    5/14/2013 1:40pm

Join us... or die

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AKRhino View Post
    Interestingly, my wife always chews gum when doing judo/jits. She says it helps her stay calm and avoid panic/claustrophobia. I guess it helps with nervous energy. I personally just chew on my mouth guard, lol
    Chewing gum is dangerous because you can choke on it. Plus accidently spitting it out onto the mat. These things usually happen upon impact with the tatami or getting heavy body contact suddenly for some other reason.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    5/14/2013 3:07pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    That many people in a Judo beginners class is not a responsible thing to do unless they can be broken up into smaller groups with individual instructors (100!), in a LARGE training area.
    I should note that this was a self defense class taught by a judo coach, not a judo class per se. It was assumed everyone was a raw beginner, so there was a good amount of teaching that wasn't really more dangerous in big groups (we weren't really doing randori or uchikomi for example).

Posted On:
    5/14/2013 3:11pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    I should note that this was a self defense class taught by a judo coach, not a judo class per se. It was assumed everyone was a raw beginner, so there was a good amount of teaching that wasn't really more dangerous in big groups (we weren't really doing randori or uchikomi for example).
    OK, that's a bit different. Thanks for the clarification. I was also addressing W. Rabbit's post.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/14/2013 9:08pm

Style: Itinerant Wanderer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nothing, yet. However, Sunday, the last class I went to was far more akin to working than fun. It started off so easy with ukemi, then just going through the shinen no maki board from the end first. So, working on stuff like sandan gaeshi, which is really hard on my poor training partner who is not nearly as flexible as me. Mind you, I'm not really especially flexible. So the leg techniques we do about halfway- till he seizes up.

Then I had to re-shower and spend the rest of that class and most of the next with my partner on seifukujutsu for the arm and shoulder of one of the students. Well over an hour on anma on all the general bits that weren't arm and shoulder, as my partner is more well-versed and worked on the injured parts. Job well done, though. He could move his shoulder a lot better when we finished.

I ended with a little bit of teaching, mostly sankaku, to some kiddos.

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    5/14/2013 9:51pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK, that's a bit different. Thanks for the clarification. I was also addressing W. Rabbit's post.
    That is essentially what ended up happening. There were at least a few black and brown belts per class to work with groups. There was also at least a handful of people per class who'd show up, sign in, excuse themselves to the bathroom, and never return. Anything for a 1 credit PE course...their loss.

Our instructor was VERY good about identifying serious students and making sure at least the brown belts were spending extra time with them. Students who stayed beyond Judo II (to basically take Judo I and II over again like I did) were the ones who really got face time with the black belts (there were usually at least one or two with him per class).

It wasn't really the instructors fault for the massive class size, because the University chose the size of the class to fit the wrestling hall we had, which was huge and could easily have fit 200. I'm not sure how many people they actually let register but what was still funny is if you counted heads for the first 5 classes it was like 100->75->50->25->25...without fail. So much roadkill...
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 5/14/2013 9:58pm at .

Posted On:
    5/14/2013 10:28pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    I'm not sure how many people they actually let register but what was still funny is if you counted heads for the first 5 classes it was like 100->75->50->25->25...without fail. So much roadkill...
    Wow that is pretty bad. I took a manufacturing engineering class where by the time the final project was submited me and my partner where the only ones left.

Posted On:
    5/15/2013 4:21am

Style: FMA/MMA/HEMA noob

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I sparred with a chunner last night. Pretty funny stuff, he kept trying to do that stompy knee kick thing and I don't think he knew how to jab.

Also no-one ever expects the spinning backfist.
Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 34567 89101117 ... LastLast