Posted On:
    5/13/2013 6:55pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vieux Normand View Post
    Preventative upas?
    Actually it was even worse it was pretty much push up and roll over. It was bad, I mean really bad. The class was taught by something like a 6th dan in TDK that had 0 grappling credentials in fact I think the only martial arts experience he had was TDK.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/13/2013 7:48pm

Style: Injured

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I squatted 140kg in the dark because the city has a power shortage so they cut the electricity off randomly to save power, whatever.

But the more important part is that then I watched another guy half squat that weight.

Fourth rep he couldn't get back up (from the half squat position, seriously, what the ****? He barely bent his knees) so he rolled the bar across his neck and bent himself over from an almost standing position to dump it forward, he couldn't dump it back because his spotter was behind him.

His spotter behind him didn't see him fail the squat because it was pitch black.

And I guess the guy couldn't see where the safety was because he dropped the bar on the floor and it took his neck down before he cleared it. I seriously thought this guy's training days were over.

Another guy dropped a 50kg dumbbell on his foot today, too.

And my mate wrecked his back also.

Hard times.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/14/2013 4:54am

Style: JJJ/BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We did work from mount last night, elbow and foot drag escape, then one I've never seen before where you bridge, frame and transition to butterfly guard, which was pretty cool. We also baited a switch to technical mount, got an elbow inside and moved to single leg x, finishing with a toe press.

From the top we started with cross collar chokes (Palm up/Palm up and Palm up/Palm down) and changed that into a few types of armbar when uke defends.

Rolling I managed to pull off the mount escape to butterfly guard which I was pretty chuffed with, and shut down a guy's deep half. I had a bash at de la riva but got passed quite easily by everyone. Got a few people with triangles off a scissor sweep which is becoming my favourite set up.

Posted On:
    5/14/2013 5:57am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister View Post
    I squatted 140kg in the dark because the city has a power shortage so they cut the electricity off randomly to save power, whatever.

But the more important part is that then I watched another guy half squat that weight.

Fourth rep he couldn't get back up (from the half squat position, seriously, what the ****? He barely bent his knees) so he rolled the bar across his neck and bent himself over from an almost standing position to dump it forward, he couldn't dump it back because his spotter was behind him.

His spotter behind him didn't see him fail the squat because it was pitch black.

And I guess the guy couldn't see where the safety was because he dropped the bar on the floor and it took his neck down before he cleared it. I seriously thought this guy's training days were over.

Another guy dropped a 50kg dumbbell on his foot today, too.

And my mate wrecked his back also.

Hard times.

Democracy is a bitch ain't it? can't you light candles or stick-lights?

Posted On:
    5/14/2013 6:05am

Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We went over some of the more technical aspects of the ground and pound game from guard.

And it is a complicated chess game.

I mention this specificly because as I was being shown move and counter. I was thinking of the Bee jay jay thread and that Kempo guy. This is the part he is missing. The game.

Not just standing there wailing on each other.

There are serious elements of hand trapping that can be applied. grip fighting and we also explored the use of chin control.

MMA taking the best elements of RSBD and applying them to real world situations
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Posted On:
    5/14/2013 6:28am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well sunday is what you would call "open mat". So some guys who are preparing for the crossfit games did their thing (we double as a boxing gym and crossfit gym). I gathered a few guys to an improvised boxing class.
    We started with 3 warmup rounds on the heavy bags. Than we paired and drilled something i can only describe:One is the initiator (number 1) and the other is reacting number 2. Number 1 can strike once, with whatever, number two can avoid it, block it, whatever and is allowed to retaliate with one blow himself. You do this 50% power, and not full speed. The point is to get in there, stay close, and basically swap blows while drilling bobbing, blocking etc. in a semi controlled environment. You try and reach some sort of "harmony" with your partner (yes it does sound "awesome"), a rhythm when you hardly stop, you punch, than bob, than punch than block, moving a little for better position etc. When you get comfortable, the intensity and speed goes up to a point where it is best to use a head gear.
    We did this for a few rounds switching positions and partners (:D). If done right it is quite taxing.
    After that we did another drill. Where number 1 throws a three punches combo, and number two can't use his hands to block (bobbing, weaving, shoulder rolls, jumping back, jumping in etc.) and immediately retaliate with two blows. (So not to develop bad habits while defending, poster wise etc. ).
    We were about done at this time, and i was left with a young one that is preparing for his first comp. We sparred for two rounds.
    The end of practice as usual is what we call fitness time, basically kettlebell work, squats, pull ups, bench press. ( using the adjacent cross-fit/weight gym).
    It is quite hot here, so when i was done i was dripping sweat.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/14/2013 7:06am

Style: DocePares/MMA(YawYan)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Did some fairly technical stuff last night, lots of fancy display-type stuff in stick class and some double stick and left handed stuff designed to mess with your head.

Yaw-Yan class was also pretty much just technique, keeping the guard up while doing the 180 degree spins and recovering balance after high kicks.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    5/14/2013 7:17am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yesterday's training:

BJJ: Scissor & push-knee sweeps to knee on belly. How the right cocktail of meth & bath salts will result in your face being eaten off.

JKD: Knee destructions into straight blast & HKE. Tournament prep for fighters. Elbowed my fiance in the face. It was a good session.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/14/2013 10:30am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yesterday's Training:

Beginner's BJJ (1.5 hrs)

Technique: two seeps from HG* bottom.

Tonight's technique was a pair of sweeps from the bottom of HG. To start, you are on your right side with your opponent's right leg in your HG. Things to be aware of are the positioning of your head, your ability to stay on your side, and your ability to get as far underneath your opponent's hips as possible. Do not let your opponent cross-face you with his left arm and flatten you out. If he/she tries this, simply frame with your right hand in your opponent's left bicept and your right forearm against his chest/neck and right hand on his left shoulder--push up and dive back into half guard. While in HG on this right side, you should always have the underhook with your left arm across your opponent's back near the hips/belt. In this drill, your opponent is reacting with a whizzer. (spelling?)

Now for the sweep: reach your right arm underneath your opponent between his legs and grip underneath his/her left leg at the ankle. Lift your opponent's left leg up to his/her butt and reach your underhooked left hand around his/her butt (not over, if you're fighting a fatty you'll never reach) and hand your left hand your opponent's left foot, pinning your opponent's leg in place. Next, move your right hand up your opponent's left shin to grip with your hand on the outside of your opponent's left knee.

Slide your feet down to switch your right and left foot, thus allowing you to reap your opponent's right foot to his right and allowing you to sweep him while controlling his left leg with both hands. End up at the top with a quick transition to side control.

Tonight I rolled with a smaller purple belt female who I typically pair up with, as well as a smaller white belt female and a larger, stronger whitebelt male. My typical position when rolling has been HG bottom as of late, and I was able to attack well from this position, tapping the white belt with a quick kimura and sweeping the larger white belt with the same attack, eventually ending by passing the guard and finishing with a baseball choke from the side.

I was also able to attack the larger white belt with a new technique I saw a few days back, which is somewhat like an americana from the top of HG, except you trap the arm you are attacking with your opponent's lapel.

I had my full guard opened several times tonight while rolling with the larger white belt, and my attempts at playing open guard with the small purple belt led to a lot of passes and disadvantageous positions.

The purple belt continues to catch my arms in arm bars and other attacks when we roll. I'm working harder on transitioning out of these positions, going from under mount to turtle to a roll into half-guard, but she's starting to learn my escape and caught me with a triangle setup from mount as I attempted to roll out tonight. As I was defending the triangle attack, she countered with an omoplata setup, but I was able to roll over her and negate the arm lock. After that, I ended up getting tapped to an arm bar, as my focus was on saving my arm from the omoplata instead of positioning myself well once I escaped.

Posted On:
    5/14/2013 11:16am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Me and my Wife got around to the fundamentals class at the new gym last night.

5 min Yoga/5 min running warm up.
    Covered how to properly Knee on Belly.
    How to cross choke from Knee on Belly.
    How to Defend cross Choke from Knee on Belly.
    How to Escape Knee on belly after defending the cross choke.
    Looks like every white belt had a blue or higher to pair up with.
    So it went like this
    1st do the choke without it being defended
    2nd do the choke again guy on bottom defends and sweeps/escapes.
    reverse roles.
    Did this for a little while.
    Than rolled the rest of class with chokes being the only allowed submission.
Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 23456 7891016 ... LastLast