Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/12/2013 9:22am

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    I don't even wear contacts for judo, way too easy to lose one. I've considered LASIK but some sources say that the flap they cut can still be lifted a couple of years later which seems like potentisl for disaster in contact sports to me.
    I had a consult to get Lasik and they advised me not to get it since I would be engaging in combat sports. He said he wouldn't do it, period. If I stop doing combat sports, he said to come back. Obviously, I have not.

Quote Originally Posted by SmH View Post
    I'm left with about 10% vision, so I guess in grappling, this might be an option, but as soon as there's striking involved I really need them. Otherwise I could barely see something coming.
    What does 10% mean? Are you talking about vision fields. Because visual acuity doesn't go by percent. My vision without my glasses is worse than 20/300 which is legally blind. They didn't know my actual acuity when I asked because they only cared what got me back to 20/20 and they would have had to get a different testing instrument to test higher acuity.

I stick fight and kickbox without my glasses on. I haven't worn contacts for years. I have no problem seeing strikes come in. It actually helps me, because when I used to fight with contacts in, I was always looking at irrelevant stuff like eyes, face expressions, and stuff happening in the background.

Also, it's good to train for a worst case scenario. For example, if your contacts come out and you have to fight someone, will you be used to it? Every time I've fought on the street, I've taken my glasses off or tossed them to the side in the grass. Since I fight without them, I train without them.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/12/2013 10:17am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I only know this pretty exactly because I had to take a vision test when I aplied for law enforcement. Appearently, my vision field is fine but I got about ~5 diopters on each eye, so I barely can see anything more than fast moving color blurs when I'm in striking range with somebody.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/12/2013 11:40am

Style: Kickboxing , BJJ starter

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We spanked each other

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/12/2013 9:28pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I only know this pretty exactly because I had to take a vision test when I aplied for law enforcement. Appearently, my vision field is fine but I got about ~5 diopters on each eye, so I barely can see anything more than fast moving color blurs when I'm in striking range with somebody.
    I don't know where you are from, but I'm not familiar with Diopters. In Florida, and most everywhere I've lived, they go by snellen charts. In the U.S. 20/200 is legally blind. So I looked up diopters and this site:

http://bwelcometothevisionandeyeforu...board.com/t211

Basically says that 5 diopters equates to around 20/400 some say 20/600. So you were legally blind and didn't know it until you went to a Law Enforcement physical? Ha! That sucks!

But sounds like it sucks for you. So basically if your contacts fall out or glasses fall off, you are going to get your ass kicked by someone. Glad, my vision isn't that bad!
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Posted On:
    5/12/2013 9:52pm

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    I don't know where you are from, but I'm not familiar with Diopters. In Florida, and most everywhere I've lived, they go by snellen charts. In the U.S. 20/200 is legally blind. So I looked up diopters and this site:

http://bwelcometothevisionandeyeforu...board.com/t211

Basically says that 5 diopters equates to around 20/400 some say 20/600. So you were legally blind and didn't know it until you went to a Law Enforcement physical? Ha! That sucks!

But sounds like it sucks for you. So basically if your contacts fall out or glasses fall off, you are going to get your ass kicked by someone. Glad, my vision isn't that bad!
    Diopters is the standard way of indicating your prescription. If you look at your last prescription you would see two measurements in diopters, spherical and cylindrical. Spherical is the refractive power (near-sighted or far-sighted), cylindrical is the astigmatism. The combination of the two would result in your snellen chart rating which is really just comparing your vision to what the guy with the best vision Snellen tested in 1862.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/12/2013 11:08pm

Style: 1 technique 1000 times

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My last class was MMA so after warm-up, some shrimping and shadowboxing we worked on some open guard passes, then did takedowns into groundwork with striking. Someone punched a contact lense out of my eye, this was a whole new experience.
    A few months ago I was doing a reaction time drill where you poke at your partners forehead and the partner swats your hand away. The classmate I was working with is a 17 year old high schooler that wears contacts (blah blah blah, glasses, ugly, blah blah, teenagers). IDK how on earth this happened, but I poked her left eye and her right contact lens came out. It's a mystery that still somewhat haunts us cuz I remember feeling my finger slightly touch her eye and hit her contact, but that one didn't move at all.

Posted On:
    5/12/2013 11:28pm

Style: BJJ, MMA, JJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmmm, Warmed up with some leg kicks into kick shields (which mildly sucked as my leg was dead from sparring the night before - I was eating leg kicks in my lead like the fat kid on willie wonker eats chocolate). Then drilled some no-gi side control escapes/chains and an escape from back control. Finished with about 5 or 6 no-gi rounds. After class drilled kesa gatame with one of the one stripe white belts who I caught with it in our roll and he wanted to know more about it.
    Dum spiro, spero.
    Tada gan iarracht.

You know me...the snakebite hiss, the Devil's Grip, the Iron Fist

Posted On:
    5/12/2013 11:35pm

supporting member
     Style: Hung Fist, BJJ, Qi Gong

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by csharp.negative View Post
    A few months ago I was doing a reaction time drill where you poke at your partners forehead and the partner swats your hand away. The classmate I was working with is a 17 year old high schooler that wears contacts (blah blah blah, glasses, ugly, blah blah, teenagers). IDK how on earth this happened, but I poked her left eye and her right contact lens came out. It's a mystery that still somewhat haunts us cuz I remember feeling my finger slightly touch her eye and hit her contact, but that one didn't move at all.
    One time I was rolling with this cute girl in Judo, at UMASS.

She had long, brown fingernails, that I remember...because by the time we were done rolling one of them had broken clean off.

She was not happy. She never came back to Judo.

Oh well.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/13/2013 2:58am

Style: Jujitsu, Karate

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some focus pad drills, followed by rounds of BJJ ground fighting before transitioning to MMA-style stand up up rounds. I was pretty tired after two hours of that...

Welterweight

Posted On:
    5/13/2013 5:05am

supporting member
     Style: Escrima n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    One time I was rolling with this cute girl in Judo, at UMASS.

She had long, brown fingernails, that I remember...because by the time we were done rolling one of them had broken clean off.
    Yuck!!! This is why I keep my fingernails very short, not only to badly cared for talons look awful but you can give your partners a really nasty scratch!
Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 1234 567814 ... LastLast