Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 123 456713 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

C.E. B.S.net Ambassador

Posted On:
    5/11/2013 6:10am

supporting member
     Style: (Beautiful) Spring Roll

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fuzzy and Katje must have a really peaceful home: whenever one of them would think of picking up a stick to hit the other one, they'd remember the last training and just put it down and chose discussion... :)

On the last training we worked on details of the lapel choke from the back, optional armbar included.

Then we sparred in groups - members of one group were being attacked from the back for 3 minutes, then were attacking from the back of the opponent (new partner after every position improvement or submission), then some free sparring.

CLICK & WATCH
    :
    I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

"Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid **** back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
    " - by Vorpal

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/11/2013 6:52am

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Katje View Post
    So far it's been brilliant. The classes offer a good mix of high and low intensity activity, which mean I can work out for longer than in a style like BJJ or similar (one of the main results of this illness is chronic fatigue), where it seems to be pretty much all go for the whole class. The instructors are fantastic, and with Fuzzy there it's much less of an intimidating place to train for an out of condition noob like me. There's also a great vibe among the regular students, who are really constructive and take pains to foster mutual respect in the gym.
    That's cool. When you find the right match for training partners, it's worth it's weight in gold!

Awesome :) I've actually been meaning to PM you to ask you about how your style compares to Doce Pares & ask if you had any material I could look at. It's a pity you & Fuzzy can't meet up at a throwdown, you could have a beard-off!
    The easiest thing to do would be to go look at my training log. Jump a few pages to get past the gracie combatives and kung fu stuff, and you will get into my stick training. I've been keeping it pretty detailed, it almost reads like a training manual. Feel free to comment or ask questions about stuff in there, it would make for good discussions.

The sparring was a real eye-opener. It's so easy to look at a situation, play it out in your head and go "yeah, I think I'd handle myself pretty well" or even "I would be marginally competent and might land a hit or two on my opponent". It was only my second time, and my first time against boys, and there were no "gimmes" or easy rides on offer. Even when trying my very best I was nowhere near a match for any of them in terms of speed or power, and it hit home with a CLANG how far I really had to go.

That's why I really like Fuzzy's little mantra: Spar more, it keeps you honest.
    That's my mantra too. We say all the time, "spar it out and see what works". A lot of stick and knife stuff looks really cool until you spar it out. Then a lot of **** goes out the window. It keeps everything honest.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/11/2013 7:37am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My last class was MMA so after warm-up, some shrimping and shadowboxing we worked on some open guard passes, then did takedowns into groundwork with striking. Someone punched a contact lense out of my eye, this was a whole new experience.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/11/2013 7:39am

Style: DocePares/MMA(YawYan)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SmH View Post
    Someone punched a contact lense out of my eye, this was a whole new experience.
    I've considered getting contacts so I can fight with 100% vision, but this is the kind of thing that makes me continue to just suck it up and practice mole-fighting.

Posted On:
    5/11/2013 10:30am

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SmH View Post
    My last class was MMA so after warm-up, some shrimping and shadowboxing we worked on some open guard passes, then did takedowns into groundwork with striking. Someone punched a contact lense out of my eye, this was a whole new experience.
    I don't even wear contacts for judo, way too easy to lose one. I've considered LASIK but some sources say that the flap they cut can still be lifted a couple of years later which seems like potentisl for disaster in contact sports to me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/11/2013 11:12am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    I don't even wear contacts for judo, way too easy to lose one. I've considered LASIK but some sources say that the flap they cut can still be lifted a couple of years later which seems like potentisl for disaster in contact sports to me.
    I'm left with about 10% vision, so I guess in grappling, this might be an option, but as soon as there's striking involved I really need them. Otherwise I could barely see something coming.

Posted On:
    5/11/2013 12:59pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Except for the guy who kept punching me in the head. He's a douche.
    Then why did you marry him?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/11/2013 2:51pm

Style: Escrima n00b

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Girls love a guy who can make them laugh?

Posted On:
    5/11/2013 6:29pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Girls love a guy who can make them laugh?
    My wife bursts into laughter every time she looks up at me.

This is a good thing, is it?

Okay, duly noted.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/11/2013 9:12pm

Style: TKD/Kickboxing/BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    After warm-ups, we worked on breaking grips. Then we drilled maintaining control after having taken someone's back. Then we spent about 30 minutes training finishes from the back (collar choke, bow and arrow, and arm bar).

We moved on to positional sparring. Twenty minutes each on open guard and closed guard (up/down/out). The last twenty minutes was randori. Five minute rounds with a new partner each round.
Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 123 456713 ... LastLast