Posted On:
    5/10/2013 6:13pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    Rokudan but who's counting?
    OMG, I though you were a sandan for some reason in Kendo. My utter apogies and please don't beat me with your shinai if we ever meet.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/10/2013 7:36pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We created a new armbar entry.

Posted On:
    5/10/2013 7:44pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    We created a new armbar entry.
    Details?

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/10/2013 8:13pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Come to the throwdown I'll show you This One.

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    5/10/2013 8:14pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wrist-locks, by pass starts and heavy-bag for twenty minutes.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/10/2013 8:15pm

Style: 1 technique 1000 times

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yesterday was class, no class on Friday, so no meaningful post from me in this thread. ;)

I kid, I kid. But for realzies no class on Friday unless you're a senior.

...FINE, FINE... I just got home from senior class, but I don't expect you guys wanting to hear that I did 10 minutes of horse stance on bricks, went through 1 hand form 3 times, another hand form 3 times with a 20lb weight vest on, then that second hand form again without the vest, then I went over form and application of material for my next test.

Thursday class was qi gong specifically for bridge development, stance/core development, then touch sensitivity drills.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/10/2013 8:45pm

Style: Out of Practice

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I cleaned the public areas of the dojo, ran through the form my sensei has been trying to teach me a few times on my own, and later learned the counter-attack portion of Kempo's Eight-point Blocking System.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/10/2013 9:09pm

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Somebody tried to pull my pants down while going live so I dry humped him. He was a stranger.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/10/2013 10:27pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post

I'd also like to take a moment to say how proud I am of my wife, Katje, who has just started training again after more than a year of severe illness and inactivity and who managed to spar for several rounds WEKAF style with a class full of unfamiliar men, several of whom she hadn't met before.
    That's pretty awesome. I wish I could get me wife to train. She is content to just go running and call me a psycho. Whatever! I do get my kids to swing sticks and do footwork drills with me!

Last night we started out with some stick sparring to warm up then did knife on knife sparring starting with hammer grip, then icepick grip, then alternating. Right and left handed. Then we did empty hand sparring for a while. Finished off with knife against empty hand, which I royally suck at!

Love it!
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/11/2013 5:21am

Style: Escrima n00b

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    That's pretty awesome. I wish I could get me wife to train. She is content to just go running and call me a psycho. Whatever! I do get my kids to swing sticks and do footwork drills with me!
    So far it's been brilliant. The classes offer a good mix of high and low intensity activity, which mean I can work out for longer than in a style like BJJ or similar (one of the main results of this illness is chronic fatigue), where it seems to be pretty much all go for the whole class. The instructors are fantastic, and with Fuzzy there it's much less of an intimidating place to train for an out of condition noob like me. There's also a great vibe among the regular students, who are really constructive and take pains to foster mutual respect in the gym.

Except for the guy who kept punching me in the head. He's a douche.

Last night we started out with some stick sparring to warm up then did knife on knife sparring starting with hammer grip, then icepick grip, then alternating. Right and left handed. Then we did empty hand sparring for a while. Finished off with knife against empty hand, which I royally suck at!

Love it!
    Awesome :) I've actually been meaning to PM you to ask you about how your style compares to Doce Pares & ask if you had any material I could look at. It's a pity you & Fuzzy can't meet up at a throwdown, you could have a beard-off!

I learned the first 3/4 of form 1
    Twirling sets
    Striking/blocking drills
    Siniwali
    Bagwork
    Sparring

The sparring was a real eye-opener. It's so easy to look at a situation, play it out in your head and go "yeah, I think I'd handle myself pretty well" or even "I would be marginally competent and might land a hit or two on my opponent". It was only my second time, and my first time against boys, and there were no "gimmes" or easy rides on offer. Even when trying my very best I was nowhere near a match for any of them in terms of speed or power, and it hit home with a CLANG how far I really had to go.

That's why I really like Fuzzy's little mantra: Spar more, it keeps you honest.
Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast