Awards:
    Activity Champion

Posted On:
    6/03/2013 10:54am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Magpie McGee View Post
    Today, I experienced a miracle. I got punched in the nose pretty hard, and it didn't immediately start bleeding everywhere. This might seem trivial, but I'm one of those pussies who starts bleeding everywhere if I sneeze a little bit too vigorously. Is this a sign that there is yet hope for me in this sport?
    A karate man bleeds on the inside.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    6/03/2013 10:57am

supporting member
     Style: The Jits + Hung Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    Grats!
    Thanks it's probably my greatest accomplishment to date. I'm so happy to be done with the student life!

Welterweight

Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsThree Friends

Posted On:
    6/03/2013 12:58pm

supporting member
     Style: Escrima n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Arrived early, so while the current class was finishing up I colonized a tyre stack in one corner, did some quick stretches and then worked on my half strikes in right & left hands.

Was alone for ladies class since Fuzzy got an urgent call from idiot boss panicking that there was a browser hack in progress. Turns out he'd forgotten to pay the phone bill so his browser was being redirected to the broadband provider's legitimate demand for money. So got a 1-on-1 with the instructor and completed learning form 1, also went through twirling sets 4 - 15 in right and left hand, followed by single and double stick sinawali.

Next was regular stick class, quickly went through the twirling sets again with the rest of the group as they warmed up, then went through abecedario with various disarms. Alex showed me some horizontal twirling sets and I only whacked myself in the head twice! 6 rounds of bagging - 2 right hand, 2 left hand, 1 switching hands, 1 double stick. Then on to sparring, 10 rounds single stick WEKAF style, though I only lasted for 6.

Definitely need to keep sparring against the boys, being owned so thoroughly all the time makes me want to work harder!

Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    6/03/2013 1:14pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Katje View Post
    ...I colonized a tyre stack in one corner...
    What species of microbe do you belong to?

Was alone for ladies class since Fuzzy got an urgent call...
    So...if Fuzzy had been there, you wouldn't have been alone for ladies class?

Welterweight

Achievements:

Posted On:
    6/03/2013 1:22pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vieux Normand View Post
    What species of microbe do you belong to?
    Bodacious Felis

So...if Fuzzy had been there, you wouldn't have been alone for ladies class?
    Yes yes, I see what you did there clever clogs! There are only 2 other regular students of the ladies class, two teenage sisters who aren't really interested in partnering with anyone else or sparring of any kind. Since Fuzzy is there anyway he steps in if I need a partner, otherwise he moves off to another part of the gym and does his own thing until regular class starts.

pro nonsense self defense

Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Awards:
    Activity Champion

Posted On:
    6/03/2013 4:19pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Katje View Post
    There are only 2 other regular students of the ladies class, two teenage sisters who aren't really interested in partnering with anyone else or sparring of any kind.
    If I taught FMA I wouldn't do a ladies class. Not for sexist reasons but because FMA is such a sausagefest already and classes already tend to be small. I only know like 3 female practitioners.

I feel that an unspoken part of Southeast Asian martial arts is smuggling the play swordfighting part of childhood into adulthood under the guise of self defense and tradition (and I mean that in the most positive way possible). Along those lines, I feel that guys tend to be more drawn to that kind of stuff because more guys had a childhood where a stick represented a sword.

Welterweight

Achievements:

Posted On:
    6/03/2013 5:09pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    If I taught FMA I wouldn't do a ladies class. Not for sexist reasons but because FMA is such a sausagefest already and classes already tend to be small. I only know like 3 female practitioners.

I feel that an unspoken part of Southeast Asian martial arts is smuggling the play swordfighting part of childhood into adulthood under the guise of self defense and tradition (and I mean that in the most positive way possible). Along those lines, I feel that guys tend to be more drawn to that kind of stuff because more guys had a childhood where a stick represented a sword.
    I'm sure you're right. I've only seen one of the girls spar once, and she would only spar with the female instructor. She goes quite easy on newbies, so I don't know if it was much more use to the student than just for exercise to be honest. Come to think of it I haven't seen any other females apart from her and I at the regular mixed classes, and the women on the UK competition circuit all seem to know each other, so it's clearly a really small crowd.

I actually started out in the ladies class because I've come off a year of being bedridden and the regular classes just seemed too intimidating. Even if the classes are really small and only once a week it's probably a good idea to have them as they draw more women than if they didn't exist at all. The prospect of big strong boys hitting you with sticks can be scary!
    Last edited by Katje; 6/03/2013 5:16pm at .

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    6/03/2013 8:56pm

supporting member
     Style: The Jits + Hung Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Went to kickboxing tonight - we warmed up with 5 mins up jump rope and dove into practicing 2-piece and 3 piece combos w/ round kicks. Then we worked bobbing and weaving until our calves couldn't stand it anymore, and tied it all together!

duck forward, duck laterally, jab, jab (forward), duck laterally w/ head hook, jab jab, front duck body hook.. just learning how to piece the movements together

Edit: PS it's important to note I'm exhausted because I walked the 2.2 miles to class.
    Last edited by XXIV; 6/03/2013 8:59pm at .

Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    6/04/2013 2:38pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    If I taught FMA I wouldn't do a ladies class. Not for sexist reasons but because FMA is such a sausagefest already
    Not if Fuzzy shows up, if what Katje says is correct.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/05/2013 12:45am

Style: HS Cuddling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    After Wrestling practice today, the rest of the Seniors (who won't be Wrestling anymore next year) finally came in and decided to pick on the "new guy who can sprawl" (me). So I got the opportunity to wrestle the 6 seniors for 2 minute rounds each. (These are a different school's Wrestlers, so they've been wrestling for 3-4 years each, while I've been doing it for a week.)

I did pretty well against the first guy, losing in 3-4.

Well, I think that's how they scored it, as I don't know the scorekeeping yet.

I did a lateral, as that's the only Wrestling throw I know other than a double leg shoot (2) and pinned him (1) until they split us up. He chose to start on the bottom, escaped, (1) threw me, (2) and pinned me. (1)

I was then demolished against the next 5. After the 2nd one, I was so tired I couldn't even resist anymore.

It was a good day.
Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3910111213 1415161723 ... LastLast