Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/18/2013 9:05pm

Style: Western Boxing, Tai Chi

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Boxing's Best Fights (potentially EPIC)

Inspired by the feedback on the Bradley-Provodnikov thread, I've decided to create this epic megathread. Rather than cluttering up the forum every time I see good fights, I will post them here.

While boxing has over 100 years committed to video, I'm only going to focus on the most recent fights. As well, I'm also going to be as eclectic as possible, posting videos from different international scenes, different weight divisions, and different styles.

Each video will be accompanied by one paragraph explaining what I liked about it. Feel free to discuss, and have fun!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/18/2013 9:14pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First up is Kohei Oba vs Zerofit Jerope.

This match-up was shot on a camcorder, so don't expect HBO-level quality. This Japanese bantamweight title was on the line between two domestics who are working their way back to world title contention.

The fight itself was a highly technical match-up with some exciting exchanges. The action was back and forth, with many shifts in momentum. Both guys came to win, and neither would let up!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/19/2013 1:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Jessie Vargas vs. Wale Omotoso

I don't think this video will embed here, so I'm just going to post the link.

http://www.boxtube.net/video/880/201...s-Wale-Omotoso

Jessie Vargas 21(9)-0 vs. Wale Omotoso 23(19)-0 occurred on the undercard of Bradley-Provodnikov. Both fighters were undefeated and hyped though Vargas more heavily than Omotoso.

The match-up itself was a classic pairing of boxer vs. puncher with Vargas being the well-rounded technician and Omotoso being the KO artist. The fight itself was a back and forth battle with each fighter playing to his strengths.

It was thought by a lot of people that this fight would end up upstaging the main event, but this was not the case. As we all know, Bradley-Provodnikov may very well be the Fight Of The Year. Vargas-Omotoso is definitely worth a watch, though.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/20/2013 6:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm putting this up because the re-match is happening on Saturday.

Abraham-Stieglitz I was one of the best fights of 2012. It featured a back and forth fight between two stylists who are pretty good at what they do. Not quite an all out war, and not quite a chess match, this fight nevertheless had a tremendous back and fort action. Both fighters had something to prove, and prove it they did.

If you would like information on the rematch, check out the Boxing Fight Previews thread.

Posted On:
    3/21/2013 6:41pm

Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes it was on BoxNation (UK cable) I had half an eye on it but was absorbed in a BBC docu on Boxing - "The Heavyweight Kings of the Ring". Great stuff.

Abraham v Stieglitz will be repeated and I'll pay more attention. I really noticed when the Ref stepped in to rescue Stieglitz.
    Last edited by Eddie Hardon; 3/21/2013 6:41pm at . Reason: typos

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/24/2013 12:44am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Arthur Abraham vs. Robert Stieglitz II

This was a great fight, but sure as hell wasn't the outcome I imagined. Who would have ever thought there was going to be an early stoppage? They're already talking about a 3rd rematch. I'd sure as hell watch that one.

I tell you, though, if a rematch doesn't happen, I sure would love to see Stieglitz in the ring with Froch, Kessler, or Stevenson. He has a chance with anyone except Ward.

Posted On:
    3/24/2013 7:20am

Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yeah, I watched it 'Live' on BoxNation (UK cable). Wow. Stieglitz just walked across the Ring and bashed up Abraham. That WAS a surprise.

It could be Stieglitz v George Groves next, as he was on the Bill very early and is the No. 1 Contender. Still, money talks so it might await the outcome of the Rubber.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/28/2013 12:29pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The much-anticipated rematch is happening this Saturday, so if you haven't seen Rios-Alvarado I, watch it now. IMO, it was 2012's Fight Of The Year. These were two men who wanted nothing more than to cave each other's skulls in, and will look to do so again.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/30/2013 1:29am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Brian Vera vs. Donatas Bondas

Wasn't expecting much from this fight. In fact, in this week's fight previews, I rated this fight one star.

Well, I'm happy I was wrong. This was a bloody toe-to-toe battle with both fighters working their right hands, and alternately getting stunned. Bondas showed that he's a force to be reckoned with, while Vera's weaknesses remained apparent. Ultimately, the ending was anti-climactic but hardly as controversial as some may think.

Still, the fight itself had lots of action. Skip to 1:02:50 to see the fight. (For some reason, the video doesn't embed when I try to start at the exact time.)

Last edited by atomicpoet; 3/30/2013 1:33am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/31/2013 12:57am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Brandon Rios vs. Mike Alvarado II

Okay, I'm having a hard time finding a direct link, but Rio-Alvarado II is a must watch. There was no stoppage, no knockdowns or any of that, but there was wall-to-wall action. Don't get me wrong, both fighters got rocked several times, but it was will-power that kept them up.

Both fighters made adjustments. Rios exhibited a tighter guard, while Alvarado used lateral movement to his advantage.

This was another Fight Of The Year candidate in the space of one month.

http://www.boxtube.net/video/885/201...ke-Alvarado-II

EDIT: Because the video isn't embedding, I'm sharing these gifs with you. You should definitely watch the full video by clicking the link above, though.

Last edited by atomicpoet; 3/31/2013 1:07am at . Reason: Added GIFs
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast