Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/12/2013 9:42am

Style: Kickboxing , BJJ starter

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by _V_ View Post
    I was a huge nerd in middle school (hell, I'm still a huge nerd) and thought the Kung Fu Theater was the coolest thing ever. So, I looked for something in my town. There were only about 20,000 people in my town so not a lot of choices. I tried Judo at the YMCA first. They held the class in the gym and didn't use any mats. Plus, the teacher used to take smoke breaks during class and the smell was more than my adolescent nose could handle. So, I switched to TKD.

The TKD place was walking distance to my house and was pretty cheap. They held classes in an old auto shop that had the pits underneath for fixing cars. So, they covered them with boards and you had to be careful where you were stepping. Good times.
    Wow , training in an auto shop? Thats new

Posted On:
    5/12/2013 11:59am

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I was a little kid, my uncle would kempo and showed me some basics.

Wrestled a bit in school—not even the team, which we didn't have, but intramurally in gym class—while most of the kids played basketball. The teacher did have some wrestling experience, so he led us through duck walks, drills, etc. I'm sure any of us would have been DQed in five seconds if we actually tried to form a team and play other schools with a formal team. Hulkamania was definitely running wild.

A few years ago I decided to get in shape. At the time I was living in Boston, so limited my search to places that were walking distance from my house, since if it were cold and snowy I knew I wouldn't bother to get on the T to go. I wrote to a variety of schools with questions, and only one—a Chen taiji teacher—got back to me. I watched a class, and then the teacher invited me to push hands with him when I had questions about "aliveness" and student compliance with pseudo-mystical nonsense. (I'd read the Bullshido FAQ.) He could really go, so I signed up and studied with him for about a year. Then when I moved to California, he sent me a letter of introduction for my new teacher. By this time I was committed enough to take a ninety-minute one-way trip to do taiji.

In November of last year, I was walking around town after a taiji lesson and passed by Bay Area Combat Sambo, which had just opened. I saw a certificate with Chinese characters on display in the window, and noticed that they going to start offering shuai jiao on Sunday afternoons. So when classes started up there, I signed up for those too.

Posted On:
    5/12/2013 1:13pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It was the 70s, and i was around 8.
    A friend and i sneaked into a theater and saw this:

It was all over after that.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/12/2013 1:19pm

Style: Kickboxing , BJJ starter

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    It was the 70s, and i was around 8.
    A friend and i sneaked into a theater and saw this:

It was all over after that.
    Thats how i got motivated too ! Saw some Bruce Lee movies and a bit of never back down and ta-da got so pumped up!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/16/2013 12:57pm

Style: MMA

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I started lifting weights after turning 15. About a year later, when I started high school, some of my friends wanted to take up Judo and asked me to join. I didn't really know anything about martial arts (except thinking it was for pussies who couldn't fight, and that Mike Tyson would beat them all senseless), but decided that I might as well give it a go.

Turned out the Judo club had struggled with membership for a long time, and shut down/been assimilated by the local JJJ club, so we ended up going there instead. I remember mostly learning breakfalls, ogoshi and the mae geri front kick during my first class, and I enjoyed it so I decided to keep doing it. I have some fun memories of being ragdolled by a big Russian Judo black belt, beat up by smaller guys and so on.

After having done JJJ for a couple of weeks, a friend of mine (who was a kickboxer) showed me a Bas Rutten highlight reel on youtube. I fell in love with MMA and that crazy dutchman pretty much instantly, and I became a big MMA fan just in time to watch Anderson Silva turn Rich Franklin into soup at UFC 77. I mostly enjoyed the older events though, because the martial art vs martial art matches intrigued me.

The JJJ club initially just ran classes two times a week (for two hours at a time), but knowing the code to the door let me and my friends come in several times a week to beat each other up, test new techniques and so on, but some retard leaving the door open more than once lead to this policy being removed.

Suddenly I couldn't train as much as I wanted anymore to, so I started looking into my other training options. I lived in a shithole, so it was kinda limited, but I did manage to pick up some kickboxing and karate experience over the years. In 2009 a German Muay Thai instructor opened up shop in the area, and I started training with him as well. I loved it (even though the guy was batshit insane), but he had to move back to Germany after a couple of months for work.

Now, my JJJ club was generally pretty decent (for a TMA club) with sparring and learning actual techniques, but every now and then we'd have this **** session where we did nothing but "grading" **** like wristlocks and terrible knife defenses. You hardly even got a sweat out of it, and you had to deal with the insecure retards and spazzes who trained like three times a month cranking the **** out of your wrists in compliant training. I left every single of these sessions feeling a little less enthusiastic about martial arts in general and Jujutsu in particular.

Throughout 09 my wrists had been getting progressively worse, and I ended up seeing a doctor about it in december. Turned out all the strain on my wrists from lifting and the wankers going at them like they had murdered their families had left me with pretty severe tendonitis in both arms. I got my anti-inflammatories and a stern talking-to about not exposing them to any strain for at least six months, so naturally I had to quit training. Part of me honestly wanted to at that point.

After finishing high school and going a summer without doing much else than some running, I moved away for university. I had already scouted out a gym in my new city, and started taking Muay Thai and boxing classes 4 times a week. In january 2011 I decided to check out my gym's MMA classes because we were churning out some decent fighters, and I fell in love with playing grab-ass all over again. I started training more and more, and was eventually invited to join the fighters' team. I had my first (and to date only due to scheduling problems..) amateur fight in June 2012, and I really enjoyed it (even though I dived into a choke at the end of the fight and it was a close fight up until then). I've just kept at it ever since.

I'm still incredibly happy about my decision to check out this ***** ass "Judo" **** five and a half years ago. Martial arts are the greatest passion I have to this day, and it's all thanks to breakfalls and Bas Rutten. The mantra "shut the **** up and train" has been in the back of my head as well, and it's paying off tremendously.

Man, that was longer than I expected.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/16/2013 2:18pm

Style: grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can't remember a time when I didn't want to take martial arts. My parents put me in an awful TKD school when I was 7, and quit a few months later. It was years before I could convince my parents that I actually wanted to do martial arts and that what I had experienced before wasn't actually martial arts. There were no MMA, BJJ or even Judo schools in my hometown, so it took a lot of searching for a worthwhile school. And, with much irony, I found a TKD school that sparred really hard, where I learned all my bad striking habits, but great grappling fundamentals.

Posted On:
    5/19/2013 3:02pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    !967.

I was five.

Family, teachers and such didn't want me to keep disappearing into the local woods after (or--increasingly--instead of) going to school.

They didn't want me going straight home either.

All the after-school programs were full at the time.

Sole exception: one last spot left in Judo.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/19/2013 7:09pm

Style: MMA/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had just gotten out of a really toxic relationship and I needed something to fill the time. two of my friends at the time were blue belts in Seikido (TKD/Aikido) and I asked them where they trained. I had always wanted to get fit so I decided that martial arts was a good way to do that, as well as getting a fun new hobby. I was also going to college in a new town a year after so I thought it would be a good idea to be able to defend myself if needed.
    After a while I realized it was a tonne of fun and kept on with it even after my friends bailed on MA. This was 3 years ago, and I still train in it during summers. Though during the school year I do MMA

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/20/2013 1:04am

Style: aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    About four years ago I started working at a school where all the students took TKD in place of traditional PE. Having TKD around me all the time got me interested in martial arts in general and I started doing a lot of my own research. I rapidly became a big nerd about martial arts.

After looking at all the clubs in my area, I ended up at a non-profit aikido club because I could afford it and no one was setting off my shady business practices alarm, and also taking classes from the TKD instructor at work as well.

A lot of people ask me why, out of everything that I could have chosen, I picked aikido. The answer is that I didn't, really; I picked an affordable club where the people were helpful and I was pretty sure no one was trying to swindle me. It's surprising how hard that is to find.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/20/2013 2:24am

Style: Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Grew up in a fight town- Las Vegas. Started wrestling in HS the mid-90's. Sophomore year there were some crazy looking dudes that showed up and asked my Oly-style coach if they could work out and learn some wrestling. They were local MMA fighters and decided they needed to pick up wrestling after Kenny Monday's XFC fights. So I got paired up with them. Was invited to check out the judo program after that...

Wrestled all throughout HS and college. During that time frame, I continued with judo when I was back home during breaks until graduation. Not much in the way of wrestling after college unless you are on the road to the Olympics...

MMA for several years, LEO DT training for work, then I found another judo school.

Moved to my current town about 2 years ago and there was no judo around for hours in any direction so I started a program at the local Y.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast