Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/10/2013 10:50pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Started TKD in the mid-1970s because I wanted to be Batman, damn it. Carried that through to back belt level with some dalliances in wrestling, kickboxing and Filipino stick and knife. I opened a reasonably successful after-school TKD club for kids and then had my first serious taste of martial arts politics. Quit TKD cold turkey and concentrated on teaching scenario-based "padded attacker" training for women and non-violent self defense for bullied school kids for several years.

In the late '80s-early '90s I worked as a professional wrestler (long story) and that led to film/TV stuntwork and fight choreography, which led in turn to a strong interest in reviving historical European fencing styles, my main MA activity through the later '90s-early 2000s. Fell in love with reviving Bartitsu and, other than a couple of years exploring Systema, that remains my main MA focus.

Posted On:
    5/11/2013 12:21am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR View Post

In the late '80s-early '90s I worked as a professional wrestler (long story) and that led to film/TV stuntwork and fight choreography,
    How is it you have not posted in the Gene LeBell thread yet?

Posted On:
    5/11/2013 12:32am

Style: Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It was either watching Star Trek where kirk did the Tomo Nage or watching Kung Fu and getting a Kung Fu lunch box and practicing kicks on the way to middle school. Then a one day self-defense seminar. Then imitating videos. Then at the age of 27 joining this krotty place my sister joined. I was immediately not into the fact that these guys wore no pads at all, but since nobody punched me in the face I stayed. I also was naturally good at the wrassling because I swam since I was four. As you can see, it was a well thought-out and executed plan.
    "We often joke -- and we really wish it were a joke -- that you will only encounter two basic problems with your 'self-defense' training.
    1) That it doesn't work
    2) That it does work"
    -Animal MacYoung

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    5/11/2013 12:56am

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    NSFW:

This album made me take up Judo. Now that's some funny ****, all things considered.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 5/11/2013 1:26am at . Reason: NSFW

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/11/2013 9:26am

Style: Kickboxing , BJJ starter

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Started TKD in the mid-1970s because I wanted to be Batman, damn it. Carried that through to back belt level with some dalliances in wrestling, kickboxing and Filipino stick and knife. I opened a reasonably successful after-school TKD club for kids and then had my first serious taste of martial arts politics. Quit TKD cold turkey and concentrated on teaching scenario-based "padded attacker" training for women and non-violent self defense for bullied school kids for several years.

In the late '80s-early '90s I worked as a professional wrestler (long story) and that led to film/TV stuntwork and fight choreography, which led in turn to a strong interest in reviving historical European fencing styles, my main MA activity through the later '90s-early 2000s. Fell in love with reviving Bartitsu and, other than a couple of years exploring Systema, that remains my main MA focus.
    Whats up with systema ? What does it focus ? Is it like some sort of krav maga ?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/11/2013 9:32am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    How is it you have not posted in the Gene LeBell thread yet?
    Never met him. My uncle worked with him on some movies.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/11/2013 9:36am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by IronMikeGR View Post
    Whats up with systema ? What does it focus ? Is it like some sort of krav maga ?
    It's not much like KM. Systema is basically an open-ended set of combat movement drills based on relaxation, breathing and improvisation; IMO it's a great way to practice thinking and moving "outside the box" for people who already have a solid cross-training background, but I don't typically recommend it for beginners.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/11/2013 10:47am

Style: Kickboxing , BJJ starter

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's not much like KM. Systema is basically an open-ended set of combat movement drills based on relaxation, breathing and improvisation; IMO it's a great way to practice thinking and moving "outside the box" for people who already have a solid cross-training background, but I don't typically recommend it for beginners.

I see , i've checked some videos on youtube but cant understand it

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/11/2013 9:29pm

Style: TKD/Kickboxing/BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was a huge nerd in middle school (hell, I'm still a huge nerd) and thought the Kung Fu Theater was the coolest thing ever. So, I looked for something in my town. There were only about 20,000 people in my town so not a lot of choices. I tried Judo at the YMCA first. They held the class in the gym and didn't use any mats. Plus, the teacher used to take smoke breaks during class and the smell was more than my adolescent nose could handle. So, I switched to TKD.

The TKD place was walking distance to my house and was pretty cheap. They held classes in an old auto shop that had the pits underneath for fixing cars. So, they covered them with boards and you had to be careful where you were stepping. Good times.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/12/2013 7:03am

Style: JJJ/BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I read something on the internet about Bruce Lee doing Wing Chun, so I bimbled my way down there when I was about fifteen. Thought it looked pretty cool (still do, ineffectiveness notwithstanding) but I didn't like the idea of trapping and then punching someone ten or so times - I've got the arm, why not break it and win that way?

Left after a few months for a Japanese (not really Japanese) Jujitsu club. Broke my leg rock climbing and moved down south, got a new job working nights so no more MA for a few years.

Changed jobs and went back to Jujitsu, realised I didn't like standing locks, but did like throwing people and groundwork. I don't have any Judo schools close enough to me so I took up BJJ, go to a Judo place occasionally but not regularly.

Started at an MMA school because my BJJ place wasn't open every day, started Muay Thai as well as it's included in the MMA membership.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast