Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/10/2013 8:19am

Style: Kickboxing , BJJ starter

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hashiramas View Post
    It was my freshman year of high school, decided to get back at some bullies so during the halloween party I tossed water at one of them in the urinal. Then I ran out and thats when at least 7 of them in skeleton suits starting beating me near a fence... then a strange old man appeared and gave them a beat down.

As I was waking up in mere seconds the old man said "shh stay out!" and karate chopped my neck

Just becareful when you guys get knocked out because when you wake up your butt will be really sore.

edit: Then I started learning Kata
    hahahahahaha The **** hahahahaha Shhhh stay out

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/10/2013 10:29am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My parents made me do judo as a kid, but I didn't really like it, because I was an ungrateful little asshole (and my instructor was a dick).

Fast forward a few years, in college : I spend way too much time studying and the only physical exercise I get is walking to the coffee machine. As I don't want to become a fat manatee and die because of a heart attack by the time I'm 30, I suddenly decide to do some MA.

At first I was really interested in CMA and thought that monks dancing around in funny dresses were awesome. I found Bullshido as I was looking for a good school on the internet (lol) and, after lurking for some time, decided that maybe I should give judo a second chance.

I haven't regretted it yet, and I don't think I will :)

Posted On:
    5/10/2013 3:52pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I started Judo as a kid maybe 8-10 year old range did it for a few years, was unhappy about the fact that it didn't have all that ass kicking that you saw in the movies of the day so switched to Strip Mall Martial arts. Worst mistake ever.

Anyways I have flirted with grappling and combat sports on and off usually get really into it than I end up moving or some big injury that takes me out for a while and its always hard to get back into them.

Posted On:
    5/10/2013 3:59pm

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Watched Shaw Brothers/Golden Harvest movies on the weekends, and loved what they could do. A family friend did TKD, so I did it too.

Many years later, with the birth of the internet, I was amazed at all the training opportunities I'd missed in the city, because when I started (1982) you either knew someone who knew someone, or you used the yellow pages.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/10/2013 4:04pm

Style: Weight Lifting,Combatives

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I started with Aikido and I started with that because the dude who was my Aikido instructor was the instructor of a Yoga class I went to while on a date with a really hot girl. I wound up not getting far with the girl but did Aikido and Yoga there on and off for a year. Needless to say, after taking Aikido with a Yoga instructor I was scared off of Martial Arts for a few years.

Posted On:
    5/10/2013 5:05pm

Join us... or die

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili Pepper View Post
    Watched Shaw Brothers/Golden Harvest movies on the weekends, and loved what they could do. A family friend did TKD, so I did it too.

Many years later, with the birth of the internet, I was amazed at all the training opportunities I'd missed in the city, because when I started (1982) you either knew someone who knew someone, or you used the yellow pages.
    Aww yes I remember cracking open the Yellow pages to find ninjutsu lucky for me the search had failed.

Posted On:
    5/10/2013 9:02pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Learning

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When i was about 13, I did Kenpo Karate for about 6 months. My father got laid off from work and I had to stop. Just last Fall, i was walking around my university and found a flyer for martial arts. It looked pretty cool. I even took a picture of it with my phone. 9 months later (Now), I ve watched one too many kung fu movies and digged up the photo of the flyer. It turns out that the instructor still teaches. Just started and hope it works out.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/10/2013 9:15pm

Style: 1 technique 1000 times

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was born in the early 90's, so Power Rangers had me convinced that karate = super strength and a cool uniform with a dinosaur design/theme. However, my dad was and is still not a fan of MA of any kind because he's convinced it turns people into jerks and bullies and murderers... I guess... point is, me and my brother who was equally convinced by Power Rangers never got to learn good ol' fashioned krotties as kids.

Fast forward to 2006, a friend of mine says he's begun studying kung fu. Dude. Kung fu? I was 15, scrawny, short, and couldn't lift much more than 20lbs (also had a semi-healthy appreciation for anime and fighting video games). Learning kung fu MUST = super strength and awesome looking... um... super strength (however in MMPR there was an episode where one of the Rangers trained in kung fu)? Idk, it's kung fu, so I signed up, even though dad said no.

After about 3 months I realized that I was getting stronger, had better posture and just all around felt healthier. I must have gained a level or something. Training roughly once a week in class, and when it's nice out I'll do my forms once or twice.

After about 2 years I realized that dad would have also said no to me joining a baseball/soccer/basketball team, or anything that risked my piano hands, really, so I was essentially taking my high risk for diabetes (runs in my family like whoa) into my own hands. Whether I could fight or not, I was keeping myself healthy with the amount of cardio/calisthenics I was doing. Training in class 2-3 times a week and at home for about a half hour once a week.

4-5 years in and my Sifu talks about me "not looking intimidating" but I'll "surprise a lot of people" due to my internal strength. I'll admit even today I still kind of want to be a Power Ranger or a Beetleborg, but at that particular point I began to realize that I have assets, such as a naiive little sister whom I love to death and friends that simply aren't interested in learning how to protect themselves even to a basic degree. Training in class 2-3 times a week plus coming in early for children's class 3 days a week, training for 45 minutes before each children's class.

Today after 7 years with the same Sifu I train for everything I've already mentioned. I've decided that collectively people (mostly men) who attend martial arts classes have one or two primary goals (weight loss, self esteem, strength building, a new hobby, etc) and one of two secret goals. One is to "compensate" for something *subtle gesture to upper inner thigh area* and the other is to finally live the fantasy of being a (insert fighting idol here) of your own design. I still assist in children's class 3 days a week and attend regular classes 2-3 days a week, along with supplemented boxing training by my Sifu's friend on Tuesday afternoons. Getting punched in the head/face can only be described by me as "delicious."

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/10/2013 9:27pm

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll admit even today I still kind of want to be a Power Ranger or a Beetleborg,
    Although you can't become either, it is in fact possible to gain the powers of the Mystic Knights of Tir Na Nog.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/10/2013 10:03pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I started on a whim actually. I was bored at work and lethargic from no exercise and thought "hey why not learn a martial art and maybe actually get in shape. I wanted to learn a bit of everything so I found a hapkido dojang. It was fun and I made friends even though it was more TKD than anything.....never really lost any weight either.

Fast forward to last year, I was coming off a three year hiatus due to a move and not wanting to pay all this gas money for touch sparring. I missed the fun of martial arts but after a taste (really all I got) and being a member here I wanted this "live training" everybody talks about and taking JNP's advice I found a bjj place close to home and never looked back. It's funny, bjj has caused me to take a harder look at my diet and forced me to do stuff like jogging or sprints just for the reason I wanted to be better on the mats.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast