• Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 56 LastLast

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/15/2013 6:28am

Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay, not to derail this conversation....but I have to know: Do you wear a powder wig?

Posted On:
    5/15/2013 6:57am

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw View Post
    What's curious is, even though I was operating largely on instinct, a lot of those classic factors did not come to play.
    My heartrate did not increase, and I only felt the adrenaline dump *after* the altercation. Like I said, I didn't realize I was in a knife fight until after I had already won it. My brain registered it as a social situation rather than a combative one, with a just a little bit of jiujitsu thrown in. Kind of like playfully putting your roommate in a rear naked choke while telling him to do the dishes.
    It's interesting what you say about people reacting better when someone else is threatened, because that was totally the case. It was another friend who answered the door, and who was the target of the homeless fellow's intimidations. I was just standing nearby, and when he pulled out the knife, there was this sort of "well, he shouldn't have that" and suddenly I had taken the fellow's back.
    Unless you're accustomed to somehow fighting by yourself, every combative situation is social. Can't have the "anti-social" without the "social".

Any club or bar security staffer will likely concur that it's not a dichotomy, but rather a continuum between the social and the combative, and that one extreme can lead--in all sorts of weird and unexpected ways--to the other.

Being accustomed to such matters, either from regular realistic training or from having dealt with belligerence on a regular basis (or both), may make it less likely that heart rate (or other aspects of fight-or-flight response) kick in. Whether this is a good thing (I think it is, but that's just me)...that's a matter of ongoing debate.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/15/2013 12:21pm

Style: Krav Maga, Running Away

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lukerawks View Post
    Okay, not to derail this conversation....but I have to know: Do you wear a powder wig?
    Well, it's not powdered but, yes, I do have to wear a wig (and a gown).

After all, nothing says 'dignity' more than wearing a horse's arse (they're made out of horse hair) and a Batman cape.

I'm trying to do some pod-casts on this subject and my original plan was to have a 'Bob' doll in the background wearing all the gear but I think the Bar Council might take offence.

When I do the courts martial stuff the military guys wear their No 1's for the actual trial but just tend to wear BDUs and jumpers for preliminary hearings and the like. That's a weird scene. I look like an 18th Century cleric and they look like they're going paint-balling. That's probably why you can't take pictures in court!

Posted On:
    5/15/2013 12:25pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a traffic ticket I have to fight I am a tad bit tempted now to go into court wearing a wig and gown.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/15/2013 12:43pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    I have a traffic ticket I have to fight I am a tad bit tempted now to go into court wearing a wig and gown.
    Check out this (from 32:00):

Or you could just wear groin guard and gum shield.

[In this instance 'just' is not to be read as 'only'!!]

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/15/2013 12:56pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vieux Normand View Post
    Unless you're accustomed to somehow fighting by yourself, every combative situation is social. Can't have the "anti-social" without the "social".

Any club or bar security staffer will likely concur that it's not a dichotomy, but rather a continuum between the social and the combative, and that one extreme can lead--in all sorts of weird and unexpected ways--to the other.

Being accustomed to such matters, either from regular realistic training or from having dealt with belligerence on a regular basis (or both), may make it less likely that heart rate (or other aspects of fight-or-flight response) kick in. Whether this is a good thing (I think it is, but that's just me)...that's a matter of ongoing debate.

Well that's certainly true from a 'civilian' perspective; and that's why it's a good idea to at least have some 'social' techniques in your armoury (de-escalation, posturing etc.).

But as you rightly say, you need to be prepared for when the 'social' becomes 'asocial'.

From my own experience and research people used to asocial situations, either through work or proper training, do seem to cope better. Rather like Mr McClaw's experience related above they tend to be able to operate on auto-pilot rather than freezing.

I think it may just be being used to conflict. Most people manage their daily lives without encountering properly hostile conflict (i.e. the danger of violence rather than just a bit of bad temper display in the office). However, when they are in a situation where there's real violence in the offing they show all the stress signs (shaking, panic etc.) even if they are not themselves the target.

Now remember, these are the sorts of people who make up juries. So it's important for people who are stress inoculated to kill off proceedings before the court stage as there's a danger that a 'normal' person may see a seemingly calm calculated response to violence as indicative of a violent personality.

it's the old 'sheep, wolves and sheepdogs' theory.

Posted On:
    5/15/2013 2:33pm

Join us... or die

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cool now I just need to find some founding father's opinions on Red Light cameras.

Posted On:
    5/17/2013 9:16am

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had a good lawyer last year, he followed those recommendations for a self defence defence pretty much as you laid them out, wiccaman. There were times where I was thinking, "what the **** are you asking me about that for?" but when he tied it all up in the courtroom, I saw he was making grounds for me to "reasonably assume" that I was in danger. It's interesting, considering I lived this for real on the wrong side, to see a it written as cold data that is processed by the law, rather than being tainted with the emotion, confusion and ultimate vindication of the process as a defendant.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/17/2013 11:48am

Style: sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wiccaman View Post
    So to give an example: If you approach me in a fur coat and I honestly believe youíre a bear so I shoot you, I cannot be prosecuted but you (or rather your dependants) might be able to sue me.
    Can PETA still come after you for animal cruelty?

Posted On:
    5/17/2013 3:49pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by theAsthmatic View Post
    Can PETA still come after you for animal cruelty?
    Humans are a species of animal.

If PETA go after any humans, then they're being cruel to animals.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 56 LastLast