Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/09/2013 1:51pm

Style: JiuJistu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Calf Cramps due to F*cked Up toes?

So for the last couple of weeks I have been dealing with calf cramps during rolls (mostly the last roll). It is only one calf, my right one. I have two seriously banged up toes, actually the joints between my toes (the two ones next to the Big one) and the foot are just hurting one and off. And the calf cramps seem to go hand in hand with the days I am having the issues.
    Here are the things I know that have changed:
    - my toes are acting up
    - it is getting cold around here
    - I have been lifting heavy (for my standards) with a strong focus on squats/Dead lifts

What I have tried so far:
    - Hydration, I drink lots during the day and I make it a point to hydrate before class and get as much in during as I can/feel fine with
    - I eat at least one banana a day
    - I try to have a balanced and healthy diet (For the last 3-4 Months)

Is it possible to get those cramps due to trying to ease off from my toes? When I cramp only the two toes that have the issue crawl up in a mess and I need minutes to stretch out.
    I have read the other thread around here on cramps and all I have left to try is to add some potassium/coconut water and start stretching very specifically just to help prevent the issue.

Other ideas/thoughts?

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    5/09/2013 2:03pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by franginho View Post
    So for the last couple of weeks I have been dealing with calf cramps during rolls (mostly the last roll). It is only one calf, my right one. I have two seriously banged up toes, actually the joints between my toes (the two ones next to the Big one) and the foot are just hurting one and off. And the calf cramps seem to go hand in hand with the days I am having the issues.
    Here are the things I know that have changed:
    - my toes are acting up
    - it is getting cold around here
    - I have been lifting heavy (for my standards) with a strong focus on squats/Dead lifts

What I have tried so far:
    - Hydration, I drink lots during the day and I make it a point to hydrate before class and get as much in during as I can/feel fine with
    - I eat at least one banana a day
    - I try to have a balanced and healthy diet (For the last 3-4 Months)

Is it possible to get those cramps due to trying to ease off from my toes? When I cramp only the two toes that have the issue crawl up in a mess and I need minutes to stretch out.
    I have read the other thread around here on cramps and all I have left to try is to add some potassium/coconut water and start stretching very specifically just to help prevent the issue.

Other ideas/thoughts?

99% chance that you are rolling your foot away from the injured toes and up onto the uninjured side, which is making your calf tense up and stay tensed instead of relaxing, which leads to your cramps.

Pay more attention to how you are positioning your foot at all times and see if it's putting additional strain on your calf.

Posted On:
    5/09/2013 2:14pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do try to ease off, any ideas what to do about it? Would specific stretching help? I don't want to stop rolling because of some cramps, I already am behind on classes.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    5/09/2013 2:43pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do try to ease off, any ideas what to do about it? Would specific stretching help? I don't want to stop rolling because of some cramps, I already am behind on classes.
    Tape your toes up and wrap your ankle. Reducing the mobility of your ankle and protecting your toes should help cut down on that reflex.

What kind of injury is your toe? How severe?

Posted On:
    5/09/2013 2:53pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, the Injury goes back years, I kicked one to many elbows... It comes up every once in a while, usually when I do drills that make me stay on the toes in a certain way.
    Taping the toes it self won't help much because, as I said, not the toes it self, the joint to the foot. The joints that are labeled "first MP joint" are the ones that give me trouble.

I will try the ankle wrap idea...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/09/2013 4:33pm

Style: JJJ/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, the Injury goes back years, I kicked one to many elbows... It comes up every once in a while, usually when I do drills that make me stay on the toes in a certain way.
    Taping the toes it self won't help much because, as I said, not the toes it self, the joint to the foot. The joints that are labeled "first MP joint" are the ones that give me trouble.

I will try the ankle wrap idea...
    I have the same problem at the same joint with my big toe and consequent cramps. Strapping it helps and like Kintanon says try and use the foot properly, when I ***** out I get cramps more often.