228305 Bullies, 4169 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 21 to 30 of 38
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Eudemic is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    514

    Posted On:
    5/10/2013 7:22am


     Style: Out of Practice

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ermghoti View Post
    That's exactly the kind of place where Rufus will be working . . . button up and get to work.
    This is pretty much what I've been quietly chanting to myself as I've come to be more familiar with this dojo.

    However, please remember that even though I have no love of the Kempo they teach at this place I'm not suggesting they should be teaching something else or that I have an issue with teaching it myself. My concern has been that this other prospective instructor outright lied to a customer (as well as to me) at least once, and that I have reason to believe he's played fast 'n loose with the truth regarding his MA background/experience.
  2. Eudemic is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    514

    Posted On:
    5/10/2013 7:49am


     Style: Out of Practice

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by erezb View Post
    So, "Rufus" was chatting up a young mom, selling her all kind of BS to impress her, and that pissed you off so much you want to go and snitch on the guy?
    It indicated that he was willing to lie blatantly for no real gain, and taken with other claims/behaviors on his part suggests that he might do it habitually or compulsively.

    Also, about holding your hands at chin level when on the offensive,so to not telegraph so much (and for power,speed etc.) he was right.
    Not at chin-level, down around his throat/clavicle. Like, low enough to leave his head entirely unprotected. As to telegraphing attacks, he didn't say that holding your hands lower telegraphs less; he said holding them higher telegraphs everything. (It doesn't really matter much where he holds his hands if he's just going to drop the one he's attacking with down around his nipple before throwing his large, looping overhand. . .

    Now, if your status is equal at this Mcdojo, and you are not afraid of him. Next time, when he BS clients, either correct him in front of them to teach him his place, or later (depends on the lie i guess). But don't go snitching on a colleague man..not cool.
    Just go and tell him what he said about the registration is total BS, and that he should check his facts so not to sound like a retard. He will probably calm down with the lies when he sees you have zero tolerance for it.
    I guess my point is, unless you are terrified of the guy, confront before snitch. And probably best not to do either.
    We're roughly equal in standing at the dojo. I don't have a reason to be afraid of him, but embarrassing him or confronting him directly about it would make for a lot more social drama (which is something we've both been specifically asked to avoid.)

    What's wrong with telling our superiors that he's lied to a customer and may have misrepresented himself to the staff as well? Assuming that he has actually competed before, his statements about 'the registry' would be a lie on his part rather than the result of some kind of misinformation. If it is actually the result of misinformation then it means he was lying about having competed previously. Either way it supports the implications of his general level of knowledge and skill to suggest he has made false claims.
  3. erezb is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,289

    Posted On:
    5/10/2013 8:25am


     Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Look, no matter how you cut it, it is still snitching. If you have no moral problem with that, ok.
    If you think his actions are so grievous so to make you overlook excepted social behavior and etiquette (i.e no snitching), than confront the guy, AND go to your boss.
    When you enter the dojo, and see Rufus, do you say "hello"? are you guys on friendly speaking terms?
  4. Eudemic is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    514

    Posted On:
    5/10/2013 8:37am


     Style: Out of Practice

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by erezb View Post
    Look, no matter how you cut it, it is still snitching. If you have no moral problem with that, ok.
    If you think his actions are so grievous so to make you overlook excepted social behavior and etiquette (i.e no snitching), than confront the guy, AND go to your boss.
    Acceptable behavior and etiquette aren't uniform. You said that I had done something unreasonable or inappropriate in talking with our boss, but you won't explain how what I did was wrong. Please either give me a better explanation than 'because it is bad' or stop ranting.

    When you enter the dojo, and see Rufus, do you say "hello"? are you guys on friendly speaking terms?
    Yes, we're on talking terms. We train and work together.
  5. It is Fake is offline
    It is Fake's Avatar

    Administrator

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    34,013

    Posted On:
    5/10/2013 10:07am

    staff
     Style: xingyi

    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eudemic View Post
    Honestly guys, I would be anywhere else at this point except that this school is basically giving me six months of free training and offering me a full-time instructor position at the end of it.
    .
    Ah yes, ask a hypothetical and leave out a key part. Oh and LOL@YOU propagating Bullshido erezb. Don't snitch? I love how a criminal SOCIAL element is now considered a regular societal norm and moral. Oh wait, it is not. People cover their asses now especially in this shitty economy. Almost ALL companies, in America, have " better be snitching" rules in place. You see something and don't report it, you get fired just like YOU committed the act.


    Must be different where you come from.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 5/10/2013 10:17am at .
  6. Eudemic is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    514

    Posted On:
    5/10/2013 10:13am


     Style: Out of Practice

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    . . . I left out a key part?

    [Edit - How is my being there because it's free for the moment and possibly a job in the future a key point?]
    Last edited by Eudemic; 5/10/2013 10:19am at .
  7. It is Fake is offline
    It is Fake's Avatar

    Administrator

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    34,013

    Posted On:
    5/10/2013 10:19am

    staff
     Style: xingyi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry, I skipped you were a trainee part, I thought he was the trainee.

    That's what makes erezb's little rant on snitching stupid. If it was two guys just training, you talk to him and then if it doesn't change talk to the guys running the dojo. If a soon to be instructor is screwing up, you need to all sit down and have a discussion. There are ways to do that without causing problems, but it needs to be handled.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 5/10/2013 10:25am at .
  8. Eudemic is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    514

    Posted On:
    5/10/2013 10:31am


     Style: Out of Practice

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We're both trainees. He's just been there slightly longer.

    (I thought erezb's talk about snitching was stupid because it didn't actually say why anything was bad?)
  9. It is Fake is offline
    It is Fake's Avatar

    Administrator

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    34,013

    Posted On:
    5/10/2013 10:35am

    staff
     Style: xingyi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eudemic View Post
    We're both trainees. He's just been there slightly longer.

    (I thought erezb's talk about snitching was stupid because it didn't actually say why anything was bad?)
    It is the entire "snitches get stitches mantra." He is saying it is morally and socially unacceptable to tell on people. Which is funny, because reporting posts you don't like is "snitching." Calling someone out for saying something you don't like, to a mod, is snitching. *cough* erezb *cough*

    EVERYTHING can be reduced to snitching good or bad.

    Yet, you can't discuss lies with your instructors because that is not socially "accepted." You have to remember, erezb doesn't live in AMERICA, but he will tell you what is morally ACCEPTED and how everything works in this country.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 5/10/2013 11:06am at .
  10. jnp is offline
    jnp's Avatar

    Titanium laced beauty

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    8,237

    Posted On:
    5/10/2013 11:18am

    supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eudemic View Post
    Honestly guys, I would be anywhere else at this point except that this school is basically giving me six months of free training and offering me a full-time instructor position at the end of it.
    I don't mean to be harsh, but I think you're sacrificing learning martial arts for an easy paycheck. Maybe you really need this job, I don't know.

    How long is the instructor training period? Do you think it's sufficient to be a competent teacher?

    In my biased opinion, unless you're a prodigy, 5 years of training in *insert your martial art here* is a good rough guideline for how long before an instructor should be allowed to teach that MA.

    Based on what you posted here, it appears to me that you're taking a shortcut because it's convenient, or because the price is right. There is no substitute for hard work when learning effective fighting skills.

    As for Rufus, I'm going to say let him be after reading the rest of this thread. He will either sink his own boat with his lies and ego, or the management will put up with his behavior. Regardless, he will function as a good metric to judge your new bosses.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.