Sponsored Links Spacer Image

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    5/09/2013 6:54pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Katje View Post
    Perhaps ask them if there's an informational pamphlet on hand-registering? Just in case you qualify and don't realise it.
    Or you could ask to see his license. You'll either get some mumbling or get to see a genuwine Black Dragon Fighting Society card.

Posted On:
    5/09/2013 7:09pm

Style: BJJ+Sanda

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know, I guess if I am trying to get an easy instructor rating from a belt factory, I would think I should more concerned about scooping the loosely coiled steamers from my own litter box before I go shoveling around in somebody else's Jonny Cat.
    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/09/2013 9:10pm

Style: Arnis de Mano

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its fair to judge a school and a teacher by their students. If this place breeds this level of stupidity I would run not walk to a different dojo.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/09/2013 9:17pm

Style: Out of Practice

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Honestly guys, I would be anywhere else at this point except that this school is basically giving me six months of free training and offering me a full-time instructor position at the end of it.

I talked to "Rufus" this afternoon. I told him I was wondering what his last-name was, because I wanted to try to find some of his competition footage online. He said "my name is Rufus" and told me he wouldn't give me more than that, insisted that there probably wasn't any footage of him online, then got up and walked away.

Later, when they had a free moment, I went to talk to the school's head instructor. I told them approximately what I'd said in my first post, and included that I found it disconcerting that I would have a better knowledge of BJJ's origins than Rufus would despite his claiming to have a year of training in it (and my having never actually touched it.) I insisted that I wasn't looking for social drama (rather, that I was only interested in personal accountability and the integrity of the school) but they insisted that I was just trying to project/impose my interpretation of the martial arts on Rufus, who's experiences were different than mine, and that if I accepted those differences I would understand why there wasn't any reason to think he was lying about his background.

They said that I could try to investigate him if I really wanted to, but I probably shouldn't, then thanked me for letting them know about the 'register his hands' thing, and sent me on my way.

Is this matter worth pursuing further? The guy is kind of a tool, and I'm still convinced that he's a habitual or compulsive liar, but it might be more trouble than it's worth.

Posted On:
    5/10/2013 1:56am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Honestly if your end game is to collect a paycheck I say drop it. Although you do have to live with yourself knowing that you will be helping contribute to the bullshido of the world.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    5/10/2013 3:15am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How much experience did this hypothetical kempo place require you and Rufus to have before deciding you should be teaching others?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/10/2013 5:20am

Style: Out of Practice

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    How much experience did this hypothetical kempo place require you and Rufus to have before deciding you should be teaching others?
    I said I'd been studying HEMA since 2001, but hadn't actually started training in anything until 2005. Rufus said he had about 7-8 years of training.

They never said what the required minimum experience actually was; they just told me I had enough history to enter their instructor training, and that once I graduated from that I would be qualified to teach people in this org.

Posted On:
    5/10/2013 6:57am

Style: BJJ+Sanda

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eudemic View Post
    Honestly guys, I would be anywhere else at this point except that this school is basically giving me six months of free training and offering me a full-time instructor position at the end of it.
    Guess what? That's exactly the kind of place where Rufus will be working. If you're worried about the integrity of martial arts instruction, go do something else. If this is your only means to a paycheck, button up and get to work.

You don't go work at Taco Bell and start asking the Internet if an Enchirito Doritos Locos Listeria Festiva is genuine Mexican cuisine, you shovel the brown stuff onto the white thing and cover it with the red stuff and hand it to the fat kid.
    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.

Posted On:
    5/10/2013 7:06am

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eudemic View Post
    I said I'd been studying HEMA since 2001, but hadn't actually started training in anything until 2005. Rufus said he had about 7-8 years of training.

They never said what the required minimum experience actually was; they just told me I had enough history to enter their instructor training, and that once I graduated from that I would be qualified to teach people in this org.
    If you are doing this because you need the money then fair enough. If you are doing this because you have a desire to teach martial arts drop the Dojo like a hot spud.

And unless you are getting some sports training qualification the licence to teach from some sort of kempo organisation is not worth all that much.
    Last edited by gregaquaman; 5/10/2013 7:20am at .
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Posted On:
    5/10/2013 7:21am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So, "Rufus" was chatting up a young mom, selling her all kind of BS to impress her, and that pissed you off so much you want to go and snitch on the guy?
    Also, about holding your hands at chin level when on the offensive,so to not telegraph so much (and for power,speed etc.) he was right.
    Now, if your status is equal at this Mcdojo, and you are not afraid of him. Next time, when he BS clients, either correct him in front of them to teach him his place, or later (depends on the lie i guess). But don't go snitching on a colleague man..not cool.
    Just go and tell him what he said about the registration is total BS, and that he should check his facts so not to sound like a retard. He will probably calm down with the lies when he sees you have zero tolerance for it.
    I guess my point is, unless you are terrified of the guy, confront before snitch. And probably best not to do either.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast