Our Sponsors:

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 9101112 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/10/2013 8:31am

Style: Kendo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by IronMikeGR View Post
    I've been better at kickboxing in 1 month than some guys that went for 3 or 4 , time means nothing
    90% of success is showing up. We get athletically talented people who excel in the short term but quit all the time. Those still practising after 3 years are better than 99% of the people they started with because those 99% all quit. 30 years of experience means a dedication to practice that most can't fathom. So yeah, time in counts. The fact that you are talking about months tells me how little you know.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    5/10/2013 8:50am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not sure I have an answer as to what direction the site should go as far as content. What used to get people excited just doesn't anymore. Alan Belcher posts original content here and nobody gives a ****. He gets two fucking replies. My guess is that's just because the same type of information can be had all over the internet. Good MMA videos are a dime a dozen.

The choices are to tell the community they're dumbasses for not giving a **** or to figure out what it is they want to see.

Being mean to n00bs isn't the problem it's made out to be, though. People here have always been mean to n00bs. When I started posting here some of the most accomplished martial artists were the biggest dicks. It didn't scare me off. Some of the most popular sites with young people are where you'll also find the biggest assholes. Making people play nice isn't the answer IMO.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/10/2013 8:54am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    I'm not sure I have an answer as to what direction the site should go as far as content. What used to get people excited just doesn't anymore. Alan Belcher posts original content here and nobody gives a ****. He gets two fucking replies. My guess is that's just because the same type of information can be had all over the internet. Good MMA videos are a dime a dozen.

The choices are to tell the community they're dumbasses for not giving a **** or to figure out what it is they want to see.

Being mean to n00bs isn't the problem it's made out to be, though. People here have always been mean to n00bs. When I started posting here some of the most accomplished martial artists were the biggest dicks. It didn't scare me off. Some of the most popular sites with young people are where you'll also find the biggest assholes. Making people play nice isn't the answer IMO.
    Ding. You get a point.

Posted On:
    5/10/2013 9:38am

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Eh, forum sites like this have a lifespan and it feels like this one is slowly winding down. The target audience is probably mostly hanging out at Sherdog or the Underground these days.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    5/10/2013 9:45am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll say one other thing, then I'll try to shut up because I know the few bucks I give only buys me a very limited right to an opinion.

The reason I come back here every day is to talk to you crusty fucks I've been talking to for the last seven years. Bullshido may need to change in order to survive. I don't know the site's financial situation. But it would be a shame if the crusty fucks don't get to keep a little corner of the playground.

Oh, and I miss having a regular Badass of the Month and Douchebag of the Month. And it was Phrost's writing syle that made those work. I'm not sure if anyone else could do it right.

One more thing. You fuckers that have been hanging out here forever really should be supporting members. Cheap bastards.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    5/10/2013 10:23am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Making people play nice isn't the answer IMO.
    I don't think we need to make people play nice, but the leaders need to lead by example. Omega is Omega. That doesn't mean you, me, or anyone else needs to be Omega. We all are Bullies, but we don't all need to be bullies. Some of us need to reel it back in a bit, because I do think we do more than our fair share of encouraging our desired demographic to go elsewhere. I am as much as guilty of this as anyone else. I did not always post with STFU for every n00b question, and unfortunately, many posters without my seniority or tenure have decided to follow my example, even when I am not posting. Wabbit, I'm look at you, and I apologize.

I've been a bouncer for over a decade, a job which often requires not being nice. However, if I ran the door the way the majority of us post on this forum in regards to new posters, my boss would be yanking me back by the nape of my neck. A doorman's job is not to scare away customers. It is however his job to establish the tone for the customer upon entry. If you act like a fucking jackass at the door, then only the jackasses enter, and the decent people leave.

This website is a business. It's our bar. We hang out here. But if it is not profitable, the bar closes, and we no longer have a hangout.

Phrost is the owner and manager. He needs to make money. We can get on board with that concept, wrap our head around that concept, or we can find someplace else to hang out. The door staff of this bar can be a bunch of badasses, yes, but we need to encouraging customers to come in and buy the top shelf stuff, or at least emphasize the specials on half price wings and cheap buckets of Rolling Rock ponies.

Does this mean there won't be occasions where n00bs do not get smacked down immediately and with much gusto?

**** no.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/10/2013 10:52am

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's funny, the noob hate issue has been dialed back, that isn't the real problem. There is less stfu noob and more, here are the links. There is more hand holding than ever on this website. No one wants to discuss the 800th wing chun, JKD, Kung Fu, Krotty, BS for the millionth time. What happens when it occurs? The noob gets derided for the billionth time.

Bullshido has become stale. The real issue is contributions. We need fresh content. Most members do not help in this category. I actively try to start at least 2-3 new threads a month since January. Yes, not great, but it is a start. Some work, like The Bee Jay Jay. Hell technically speaking, bullshido got that response video. Some do not, like my Indestructible Hulk reviews.

We need more content driven threads and DRAMA threads. Go look at the Sirc vs 3moose BS thread. That monster had people we haven't seen posting for months and years resurfacing. Same with The-Bee-Jay-JAY new content and fresh drama.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 5/10/2013 10:58am at .

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    5/10/2013 12:42pm

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander View Post
    Wabbit, I'm look at you, and I apologize.
    Never apologize for being you my friend. I have had my first zen experiences while meditating on some of your "harshest" words. In fact before that, I had no idea what meditation was even though I'd been "shown". Through you I saw the difference between being shown and realization.

I was "STFU noob" before the internet had a web, back when all the noobs were amateur programmers and electronics hobbyists. So I came to Bullshido with a massive chip on my shoulder, and it was righteously blown to smithereens by Bullshido's Thusness.

The thing about the internet is that over time (1980s to now) the signal to noise ratio has simply plummeted to the point where if you want USEFUL, VETTED information about a subject....good luck.

Every website imaginable is under attack by legions of Facebook-equipped drama queens and forum "Top Commentors" who are fat and neglect their kids. Worse, there are even entire organizations devoted to internet sockpuppetry that either perform propaganda work or disinformation campaigns for the highest bidder.

If you think of the chaos Bullshido would become if a mere 10,000 angry young internet "noobs" began posting here about martial arts....that is when the ENTIRETY of the "old guard" would vanish. It's bad enough you get the 50 year old noobs with eight black belts who have never, ever had a wild punch thrown in their face.

In that respect, Bullshido remains one of the highest signal to noise ratio websites on this godforsaken internet, and for that I thank thee and thy gloriously heavy-handed Moderation.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 5/10/2013 1:20pm at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/10/2013 12:43pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander View Post
    I don't think we need to make people play nice, but the leaders need to lead by example. Omega is Omega. That doesn't mean you, me, or anyone else needs to be Omega. We all are Bullies, but we don't all need to be bullies. Some of us need to reel it back in a bit...
    Why is my name always being used in vane and why does everybody say I have a god complex?

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/10/2013 12:48pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    In that respect, Bullshido remains the highest signal to noise ratio website on the goddamn internet and for that I thank thee and thy gloriously heavy-handed moderation.
    That's the thing, the ridicule is heavy handed the modding is not. You go look at the higher traffic MMA websites, they ban at the drop of a hat. People tend to forget that trolls on those websites, that have been banned, last months and years here on bullshido.
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 9101112 ... LastLast