Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 6789 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    5/09/2013 6:48pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I really enjoyed how the first guy said BS was full of TMA haters and then proceeded to hate on TMA himself. Sometimes the irony is so beautiful, it brings tears to my eyes.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/09/2013 6:49pm

Style: Kickboxing , BJJ starter

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    People think they are better all the time then they bash each other
    Organize a throwdown and challenge those 30+ years experienced martial artists and see whos better :P Until then it is all but words

Posted On:
    5/09/2013 7:17pm

Style: Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    what a bunch of pussies.
    "We often joke -- and we really wish it were a joke -- that you will only encounter two basic problems with your 'self-defense' training.
    1) That it doesn't work
    2) That it does work"
    -Animal MacYoung

Posted On:
    5/09/2013 7:36pm

Style: Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yesterday I got out of my car at court and getting out his car directly across from me was the new counsel from SF. they had to call in the reinforcements against me. He's been practicing five years less than I have been alive. Court had already ruled against me but I went in to fight it anyway. Ended up getting the matter taken "under submission" (which means I said something that made the court think twice). The guy was actually pretty good, but I am no longer intimidated by experience the way I used to be. You can be shitty at something for forty years. It reminds me of when people just automatically fold out of fear if I have some black cloth wrapped around my ass. I am often relieved when they do that.
    "We often joke -- and we really wish it were a joke -- that you will only encounter two basic problems with your 'self-defense' training.
    1) That it doesn't work
    2) That it does work"
    -Animal MacYoung

Posted On:
    5/09/2013 7:40pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    As someone, a BJJ Brown Belt now, basically said once, "why attend a TD when I can train in my gym and use the money to attend a seminar."

This is paraphrased, but you get the argument.
    That's great if you're being a selfish asshole (or just have extremely limited funds because the economy sucks), but if you care about the community here that's completely missing the point of Throwdowns.

Throwdowns aren't training, they're meet-up events where we vet our members by providing them an opportunity to pressure test their skills against people from different styles. The vetting comes in by separating those who talk a big game on the forums, and those who can deliver a big game in person.

The decline of Throwdown attendance is directly proportional to the decline in quality posting here as of late.

Members who have rank or status such as brown belts in BJJ, should especially try to make it to a Throwdown now and then, so that the other members can benefit from their experience. It's not a training environment, but it's a cooperative learning one.

Posted On:
    5/09/2013 7:47pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fra Lio View Post
    Again, what's the point of the hostility unless you somehow think you're entitled to be hostile, because you're better than me?
    What makes you imagine that hostility requires a point?

Hostility requires neither a sense of entitlement nor one of superiority.

It merely is. Why not just enjoy it?

Fucking (non-sequi)turd.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    5/09/2013 8:10pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by IromMikeGR
    People think they are better all the time then they bash each other
    No, but to be honest I do get some satisfaction from being right.

Quote Originally Posted by IronMikeGR View Post
    Organize a throwdown and challenge those 30+ years experienced martial artists and see whos better :P Until then it is all but words
    See Osiris vs JFS, or Kat vs Omar (typical of this scenario since it didn't happen), or DDT vs Sirc.

Those 30+ year martial artists, who own their own dojos, are in a better position to do this but they don't.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/09/2013 8:30pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost View Post
    That's great if you're being a selfish asshole (or just have extremely limited funds because the economy sucks), but if you care about the community here that's completely missing the point of Throwdowns.
    Selfish to you pragmatic to others. Many of the people you are labeling as selfish made suggestions and were shouted down. Some of the suggestions were ignored, so we will disagree that it was selfish.

Now, here is the crux of my comment:
    Also, you missed the TD problem of the past, otherwise you wouldn't be holding that up as a form of entitlement to talk trash.
    That quote was said AFTER the TDs quality control went to ****. You know when people started demanding tags for obvious BS, wanting seminars and less testing of styles. They turned into seminars, meet ups and training.

Throwdowns aren't training, they're meet-up events where we vet our members by providing them an opportunity to pressure test their skills against people from different styles. The vetting comes in by separating those who talk a big game on the forums, and those who can deliver a big game in person.
    I agree, but see above response because that is EXACTLY what many became. We won't delve into the private unadvertised ones that exist.

The decline of Throwdown attendance is directly proportional to the decline in quality posting here as of late.
    We have already discussed this and we disagree.

Members who have rank or status such as brown belts in BJJ, should especially try to make it to a Throwdown now and then, so that the other members can benefit from their experience. It's not a training environment, but it's a cooperative learning one.
    We don't disagree on the points we disagree on your application.

Posted On:
    5/09/2013 8:35pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Isn't this in large part because the style vs style debate has more or less been settled between the individuals that are likely to show up to a throwdown these days?

Posted On:
    5/09/2013 8:36pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Selfish to you pragmatic to others. Many of the people you are labeling as selfish made suggestions and were shouted down. Some of the suggestions were ignored, so we will disagree that it was selfish.
    So what were some of the suggestions?

At the end of the day I'd rather have 20 Throwdowns a year, some of which are shitty, than 2 that are perfect, or lately, 0.

The point is, everyone who is in a position to organize, host, or attend a Throwdown, absolutely should, at a minimum of once a year. No, this isn't some kind of formal standard or edict, but it's a good guideline.

Also, every Bullshido member should attend a Throwdown if at all possible.
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 6789 ... LastLast