Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 289101112 13 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/10/2013 11:18pm

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This site is a wealth of information. Given the size of the membership, Google rankings are high for those individuals who warrant a little more light shone on their claims.

It may be that some are turned off from the site for responses to their ignorant early posts. You need a thick skin here if your exposure to a MA website is limited to MAP. I wish this site, and to add, computers with the net, were available in my early years of practicing TKD, HKD, etc.

Target audience? This place has the reputation among some as catering to the MMA and to a lesser extent, bjj crowd. This, more often than not, comes from the TMA crowd as pointed out by others in this thread.

Hell, my last infraction was for insulting Rabbit. That's been awhile and the man would probably still be the negative if rep was tallied. Since then, the guy has turned into a solid poster. ....raises hand as also guilty upon first signing up....

Piss on the crybabies if a good pissing is in order. Civility to the ignorant? Yes. Pandering to the stupid? Not so much.

Would still like to see the 'circle jerk' search function/forum bear fruit. Perhaps some day someone can write the code for the information already researched.

Also

I like this place. Crusty is good. More TDs, yes. More GSs, who really gives a ****. Wait.... it brings in more traffic? From where?

and lastly

While this place needs to grow with the changes, let's not throw the proverbial cry baby out with the sorely needed bathwater.

:)

Posted On:
    5/11/2013 12:58am

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Any time I see posts about how Bullshido has fallen off, and isn't what it once was, I involuntarily scour my memory for them ever having been to a TD (or I look it up on occasion).

If they haven't, and didn't just join, or live in the middle of ****, I think "**** you too".

I understand posters who like to stay ghosts. Not everyone is willing to build an e-trail like that. This martial arts website, though is a little different. We've done meetups, all over the globe, and posters who attend are simply better members IMO EVEN IF THEY POST LIKE **** OR TRAIN IN BOLLOCKS. Worse posters perhaps, but better members (investigations/articles/moderation also count a bunch, so don't pick me apart plz, I just mean showing up, and doing the damn thing counts HEAVILY).

I've sucked it up on video, as an unintentional cautionary tale, because I believe in the mission of aliveness in training. I set them up here in Boston, and took the shitty-now-shut-down-bus to NYC for a couple too. I'm so poor I'm next to homeless, and yet I can do this. It isn't just because Redline has bully posters (and a bully co-owner), they were hosted at WaiKru prior to that.

Throwdown experience saved my life, and the injuries like a bubble on the temple (Strikistanian accidentally shin kicked me grappling), 2+ rib injury (Via Judo throw from Sirc, and re-injured at the DanHorgan debacle TD for another month or three), and all the other stuff were well worth it. Not just for my sake, but for that of anyone who wants to see me suck it up, and draw useful conclusions from my mistakes, or occasional successes.
    Spoiler:
    And it hurt like **** to sing after that rib thing. I was transposing songs down in key to cope.

Here's how badly some of you (us?) suck at IRL participation. BostonBully (my gf) hasn't posted on her account here, and yet she's sparred and rolled at TD's. She's payed like 10 mat fees or something (though not always participating) to gyms that host us (WaiKru, Redline, and the Fighthouse in NYC).

She has met more posters in person than a bunch of you numbnuts combined. Hell, she's sparred/grappled with more that a whole **** ton of all BS members. That in spite of her not reading/posting here, and possibly not enjoying how much time I spend on this site.

I've made many e-friends on Bullshido, but meeting in person cements it as heavy-duty. You think posting is gratifying? Set up a TD, sign the waiver, pay your mat fee, grapple/spar/exchange ideas for 2-4 hours, and nurse your pride/soreness, and get to really know each other over a beer afterwards. THAT'S gratifying.

Bullshido HAS helped win the battle over the question of aliveness (though the full effect hasn't filtered out to the suburbs and small towns quite yet). The real problem is posters don't celebrate the victory.

A hearty **** you to any who don't go on this link, and congratulate Strikistanian on his continued pro mma success.

He was a minor when he first came to a throwdown in '06. It's criminal that his appreciation thread isn't teaming with posters...because HE DID IT RIGHT!!! He fucking trained 5 or 6 days a week for YEARS, and went from student, to successful ammy fighter, to undefeated PRO FIGHTER. He also kickboxed and competed at grappling along the way, and teaches too.

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=120518

Mocking or/and educating the ignorant/foolish is hella fun, but if Bullshido has a failing, it's that posters aren't celebrating those, even in our own community, that do it right, and aspire to great things. Not like we should.

Don't go on the thread because I said so, but go because this **** does count, and if it's not worth 4 minutes of your life to celebrate one of our own who's killing it, that's a sad story.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/11/2013 5:16am

Style: Hokutoryu Ju-jutsu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am now officially considering changing my location to "In the middle of ****".
    xD

Middleweight

Posted On:
    5/11/2013 5:36am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ+Sanda

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by submessenger View Post
    I've met a couple of his "reasons," not all that great.
    The more terrible, the better.
    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    5/11/2013 4:43pm

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Posted On:
    5/11/2013 6:21pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kick boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmmmmmmmh

Posted On:
    5/12/2013 9:57am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NikoChan View Post
    Hmmmmmmmh
    This is a Low Content Post.

It might been worth something insightful if anyone here knew who you were and valued whenever you exhaled or grunted, but since they don't, it's a complete waste of bytes.

Do you disagree? If so, go back to Yahoo Answers and keep trucking for Level 8 wizard powers.

If not, go post an introduction in Newbietown.

Posted On:
    5/12/2013 10:42am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was in the shower this morning after a sweaty bit of kung fu when I tried a new body wash my wife had bought me.

It is very manly, and now my entire body smells like Edge shaving gel with aloe.

My point is, I realize now that many of the YA haters piling on Bullshido could easily be connected to martial artists that have shown up on Bullshido radar in the past. OR, they could be decent martial artists that have simply been trolled for years on Yahoo and are highly defensive when posting online and can't handle Bullshido's tier of open discussion.

I think threads should be made on every Bullshido detractor at Yahoo Answers, starting with the one in the OP. You will find, as I did, that there is quite a little network of people claiming to be skilled MAists on YA. Why not examine that network? Bullshido sure as hell examines its own.

If they are martial artists with decent credibility, video, lineage, and all the usual stuff, Bullshido continues to show its value as a consumer advocacy site for all martial arts styles (yes, including esoteric branches of traditional arts). The site gains good content, in fact, and Bullshido wins.

However, if those detractors:

- have connections to known Bullshidoka
    - claim 30 years of training that is found to be fabricated or embellished
    - Come here to defend themselves and look like asses

Bullshido wins again.

It's all out there for the sifting. Start with "pugpaws2" from Cumming, GA, who can be reached at pugpaws2@yahoo.com.

Last edited by W. Rabbit; 5/12/2013 10:49am at .

Posted On:
    5/13/2013 4:24am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think we all agree getting people to show up to throwdowns is a good thing for this site. So just throwing this out there but maybe some sort of recognition via say a tag for participation. I know we have the fist tag. That is great and all but perhaps we could have something for participation? I know its silly but it might be the added little push to get some people to show up.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    5/13/2013 7:28am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    Never apologize for being you my friend. I have had my first zen experiences while meditating on some of your "harshest" words. In fact before that, I had no idea what meditation was even though I'd been "shown". Through you I saw the difference between being shown and realization.
    Here's the difference, Rabbit.

I told you to shut the **** up when you were blathering about what Zen "is". This STFU was jarring because it is "un-Zen", not what is expected. Further, I then talked you through the basic koan process, telling you to introspect and ask yourself why someone like me might tell you to shut the **** up. It was a basic introduction to Rinzai, just done with profanity. I didn't just tell you to shut the **** up and stop posting.

What you, what other posters, and what I have even found myself doing, is not that process. You are abusing n00bs and discouraging them from ever posting again. You are being a bully. While I have seen others engage n00bs, I have also seen several posters, yourself included, basically just tell them , "You're an idiot, your posts aren't wanted, shut the **** up and post elsewhere." And yes, I will admit I am guilty of this and have led by a very poor example. That is changing...and if you don't want to change, that's your choice, just understand that I will not be supporting you, I will actively be working against you and any other poster acting this way.

If you want to take it back to Zen, engage in the koan process, and ask yourself, "Why is this n00b posting this?"

And then help them.

If we are to be THE #1 best and only stop for consumer protection and advocacy in the martial arts, then it is more often WE who need to shut the **** up and listen to what is being said and asked, than be telling our CUSTOMERS to shut the **** up.
    Last edited by Jiggle Butt; 5/13/2013 7:51am at .
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 289101112 13 LastLast