Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/21/2013 7:32pm

Style: JiuJistu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Help me create my workout

Long intro part here.... We all no you won't read it anyways.

What I need:
    - an easy routine for me (easy as in I can remember it and don't have to write it down)
    - A work out that is max. 45-50 min.
    - Must include: Squads, dead lifts, pull ups, dips
    - no more than 6-8 different exercises a day (time and memory!)

What I want to get out of it:
    - more strength
    - gain 10 lbs
    - reduce my body fat by 4%
    - Strong legs and Back

Additional info:
    - I will train 3 times a week plus 2 times JiuJitus (I am thinking of training Mon-Wed-Fry Mornings before work with Mon and Wed for Jiu at nights)
    - I don't like bench press(yeah I know), I will do push ups though.

Side Question:
    - At what point should I think about supplements such as Fish oil and maybe a bit of protein?

Thank you guys in advance.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/21/2013 10:16pm

Style: BJJ/Iron Palm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Add bench and reverse grip pulldown and do 1 -2 sets for 6-12 reps. Work to muscle failure. Just my 2 cents I'm not a trainer. Also eat whole foods. Plenty of protein.

Posted On:
    2/21/2013 10:26pm

Style: being less stupid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Re: Help me create my workout

Quote Originally Posted by lordbd View Post
    Add bench and reverse grip pulldown and do 1 -2 sets for 6-12 reps. Work to muscle failure. Just my 2 cents I'm not a trainer. Also eat whole foods. Plenty of protein.
    Just curious, why do you want OP to add pulldowns when they are already wanting to do pullups?
    Start a training log!

Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/21/2013 10:34pm

Style: BJJ/Iron Palm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I didn't read their post carefully and pulldowns are a good way to hi the back and biceps together if you're pressed for time

Posted On:
    2/21/2013 10:54pm

Style: being less stupid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Re: Help me create my workout

Good point. Alternately, mix pullups and chinups, since there seems to be certain exercises you don't like.

As a side, OP sounds kinda dickish and demanding, in my opinion. I would suggest strolling on down to Newbietown and introducing yourself, franginho.

I recently started a thread inquiring about squats and it evolved into something I think may fit your goals. The thread is titled "Squat Machine".
    Start a training log!

Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/21/2013 10:56pm

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Go get starting strength, do the workout. Done. You are welcome.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    2/22/2013 2:25am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by franginho View Post
    - an easy routine for me (easy as in I can remember it and don't have to write it down)
    No. Get a training log.

- gain 10 lbs
    - reduce my body fat by 4%
    That's mostly a matter of diet.

- I don't like bench press(yeah I know), I will do push ups though.
    Don't like it or are medically unable to do it? Because it doesn't matter if you don't like it. Also, push-ups aren't a particularly good substitute for bench press; weighted dips or strict press are a bit closer.

- At what point should I think about supplements such as Fish oil and maybe a bit of protein?
    When three of these a day (with a meal) and 50g of this after each workout don't cut into your food budget or gym fees.

---

You could do Starting Strength, but I'm not sure you'll be able to get it done within 45-50 minutes (I'm assuming this time limit is for a good reason, rather than you being stupid and arbitrary). You can get done with base 5/3/1 fairly quickly, but it's designed for 4x/week. Basically any linear progression should get you stronger if you follow it.

Whatever you do, though, don't try to be clever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Posted On:
    2/22/2013 8:17am

Style: JiuJistu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Guess a bit of an intro will help...
    I used to train quit a lot. 5 times a week, mainly Jits, more often then not I would do several sessions. Then a few years back I had to stop since I needed to put my wife and me (again) through University, working crazy hours where I got lucky when I could have a nice 4h of sleep.
    About 6 months ago when she graduated she went back to the gym. And when her contract was up for renewal they offered her to add a family member for the equivalent of $15. Since they offer Jits (though only 3 classes, one being on a Saturday) and she knew I wanted to go back to training she signed me up.
    The gym is okay equipment wise, they have the commercial stuff and some real equipment (squat rack, free weights) but not much space and their instructors don't come across as that knowledgeable (the guy who is there in the morning doesn't like dead lifts because they are bad for your back o_O ).
    The trainer at the Jits seems like an okay black belt - nothing compared to my old Prof. but I can live with that.

The reason I need a simple quick work out is the following, i am still hard pressed for time. I work some 12h, with a 2h commute, some time to spend with my wife, actually train, do stuff at home and sleep... my day is over.

To your input:
    Russ
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRuss View Post
    "No. Get a training log."
    -- "Ain't nobody got time for dat" I will try though... I had a training log for jits at some point but I gave up on it due to time constrains. And I still don't have much of it.
    "That's mostly a matter of diet."
    I am at the same weight, 150lbs, for the last 10 years. No matter if I trained like a beast or ate junk food for a year. The only way I could move my weight is down to 145lbs for competitions by dehydration and not eating the day before. But I am right back. No move up, no down. I used to have a lower body fat count when I did lots of jits back then. Right now I am around 14% according to my physical evaluation (caliper method)

My diet right now:
    Morning:
    2 yogurts 160g (one before and one after my morning work out), with a toast and cheese and turkey (if I have time to actually sit down), juice.

Lunch: about 600g - meat (chicken or beef) with potatos/mandioca and veg. or pasta.

Dinner: What ever my wife made or toast and cheese, turkey, salami

Lots of water.

In between at times I eat chocolate or candy, I'm a big sucker for candy :D

"Don't like it or are medically unable to do it? Because it doesn't matter if you don't like it. Also, push-ups aren't a particularly good substitute for bench press; weighted dips or strict press are a bit closer."
    I have a shoulder imbalance, my right shoulder is about 1.5 inch lower than the left one (or the left one is higher, depends on how you look at it). My left side looks way stronger though I am right handed and can lift more with right.
    During most of exercises I can compensate this imbalance but I am worried about bad form and doing more damage then good. As I told you, the instructor doesn't install much confidence as a spotter.
    I already put dips in my plan and I will look into strict press.
    "When three of a day (with a meal) and 50g of after each workout don't cut into your food budget or gym fees."
    Will look into it, supplements are expensive as can be around here, fish oil going for R$ 60-80 for 100 units, that is about $30-40... Protein never looked into it but from what folks say it costs.
    I will have a look and check with my wife if we can spare that cash or not.

itwasntme
    I am brief, to the point, direct - most of times. Some people take that the wrong way. I said 'help me' and 'thank you in advance' those are indicators of kindness and/or humility.
    Guess we are both just seeing it different.
    Last edited by franginho; 2/22/2013 8:31am at .

Posted On:
    2/22/2013 12:46pm

Style: Does exercise count?

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1. Everyone is asymmetrical and it's far more common to have your dominant side shoulder lower. Posture and asymmetry have been assumed to be indicators of both pain and injury, but all research on the topic has only demonstrated a modest relationship at best. If you want to "fix" posture to meet some idea, don't make the mistake of confusing aesthetics with risk factors.

2. I usually agree with Russ, but here's where we part ways. I think push ups with sufficient challenge via leverages and/or external loading can be a great replacement for bench pressing. The key is not to stop at bodyweight and increasing reps indefinitely. Instead try feet elevated, band resisted, weight vest, and one arm progressions, I personally prefer push ups over both benching and dips on the risk-reward spectrum, but this is a matter of preference and opinion.
    Last edited by Gypsy Jazz; 2/22/2013 12:59pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/22/2013 1:26pm

Style: Injured

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So...You're 150lb with 14% bf.

May I suggest eating a ton and lifting heavy then getting down to the looking pretty part later?

You don't need low bf to be strong or to perform in the Jits. I would postpone getting down to 10% bf if I were you.

FIRST YOU NEED TO GET BEEG!

AND at your weight your maximum growth naturally is probably not that big.

**** dude you're tiny. Don't worry about bodyfat.

Dare I say it even at 14% bf if you gain some muscle you will have a rather good looking physique.

If I were you I'd eat more and run Starting Strength or Stronglifts until it stops working then worry about my beach body. 3 exercises each day, easy to remember and probably the fastest thing you can do.
Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast