Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/09/2013 4:07am

Style: Krav Maga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Kali in Cape Town?

So, in a thread I started which ended up the way many threads do in the virtual world I received some advice I believe is pretty solid advice; that it would be a good idea to supplement all the unarmed knife defense drills of Krav Maga with training more focused on knife attacks e.g. Kali

I'm having a hell of a time locating anything suitable in my area (Cape Town) though, is anyone aware of a legitimate Kali / FMA school near Cape Town?

Or another school with decent knife wielding credentials and focus? I should add from experience I'd specifically be looking to avoid Karate or Kung Fu, however awesome they may be elsewhere, the local variety leaves me cold and wanting for more, besides I'd just like to focus on knives a bit, not looking for another jack-of-all-trades program.

(yes I realize there is more to Kali than just knives, using some poetic license here)

Any thoughts?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/09/2013 4:21am

Style: DocePares/MMA(YawYan)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know anywhere from personal experience, I wasn't into FMA yet when I left SA, but a quick bit of Google-Fu reveals:

http://www.capetownselfdefenceinstitute.com/index.html

These guys seem to teach Doce Pares (Not the most alive FMA out there, but depends how its taught, maybe you'll be lucky and they're amazing), they also seem to teach Piper knife, which is a pretty damn impressive system IMO.

Edit: I can't actually WATCH the videos because their site is made of lag and fail, but the thumbnails indicate that they do at least armour up and spar, which is a good sign.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/09/2013 4:50am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks Fuzzy, although the site raises some McDojo alarm bells:

Both instructors aren't exactly ancient, but hold multiple black belts in multiple systems?
    and under "class times and location" there is nothing except "Classes are fluid and can take place in different environments. We are committed to ensuring flexibility for students" so it appears they literally don't have a dojo

Call me skeptical, but think I'll pass

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/09/2013 4:58am

Style: DocePares/MMA(YawYan)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KravNoob View Post
    Thanks Fuzzy, although the site raises some McDojo alarm bells:

Both instructors aren't exactly ancient, but hold multiple black belts in multiple systems?
    and under "class times and location" there is nothing except "Classes are fluid and can take place in different environments. We are committed to ensuring flexibility for students" so it appears they literally don't have a dojo

Call me skeptical, but think I'll pass
    Yeah it seems kind of fishy on closer inspection, the instructors for the "flexible classes" aren't the same guys listed under the FMA style descriptions. It could just be your average South African web design, but I would probably avoid it myself as well.

It looks like the Doce Pares guys in SA are: "Japie Cilliers" and "Henry Pieters", but while I can find a number of people who claim to have trained under them (like the guy from the site above), I can't find their club.

If you're looking for knife though I'd strongly recommend having a look at the Piper system, maybe email the founder through his site. Piper started in Cape Town, so there MUST still be a training group there somewhere.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/09/2013 5:08am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah thanks, I may just try that approach, never knew any sort of fighting style originated here until I trawled through those links

Would still be very interested to hear of anyone with legit FMA classes in the area

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/09/2013 9:09am

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey, I woulnd't worry too much about training in a park somewhere with those guys. Try it out and see how it is. Stick and knife is a relatively small community especially when you get into who actually trains with aliveness. That is a smaller community than even FMA is. It is hard to keep students when they know that they are going to be sparring hard with stick and knife trainers. So that makes it hard to keep a school open. A lot of people just resort to training in parks and back yards.

Try them out, they could be the best guys in the area and you are missing out. Or they could be duche bag larpers. If that's the case, no loss.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.