Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/07/2013 1:47pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Heavy bag work.

Hey y'all. Just looking for a little bit of feedback on some bag work that I did the other day. Just 3, 2 minute rounds.

Some background, I've done kick-boxing in the past but never straight boxing (aside from my dad showing me the very basics, how to throw punches and things like that). And I"ve just started back up again recently after going a long while focusing on BJJ (getting ready for comps and stuff, hard to fit in kickboxing during that). And wanted to focus on my boxing since I"m fairly confident with where my kicks are at.

Advice is greatly appreciated! and I apologize for the quality of the video ahead of time

Last edited by Gfreak; 5/07/2013 1:50pm at .

Posted On:
    5/07/2013 1:50pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    5th post so I can link the video...

Posted On:
    5/07/2013 10:24pm

Style: Muay Thai

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    -Turn your hooks over more. Some of them were solid, but you were flat-footed on a bunch of them.

-Careful of where your opposite hand goes when you throw body shots. I saw it drop a few times, and most people will think it's a fair trade to eat a body shot if they can smack you with a hook coming in like that. Trust me, I'm shorter than all my sparring partners and it sucks when it happens.

-You tend to float off to the left when you throw the double jab, which will get your lead leg beaten up by competent counter-kickers. Try to keep it moving straight forward instead. This is assuming you're doing some form of kickboxing, anyway.

You're pretty alright otherwise, good use of footwork and actually working with the movement of the bag. You tend to see a lot of people who just stand in front of it and keep stopping it when it starts swinging too much.

Posted On:
    5/07/2013 11:04pm

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Does your right foot come off the ground when you thow the right hand?

Does your right foot come off the ground when you thow the right hand?
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Posted On:
    5/08/2013 8:57am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your jabbing is ok. Though when you double jab, turn your shoulder back again (squaring off again) before throwing the second one (if you want power in the second one you need to coil back up again, it is almost like fainting a cross after the first jab just only with your shoulder).
    The only "big" problem was with your cross. You tend not to turn your heel enough, and as mentioned above you actually sometimes lift your right foot off the ground to try and reach with the cross. This isn't good, it means you don't generate the power correctly, it does not start with the foot as it should. Try some rounds with just the right hand. make sure you step hard on your right foot to start the punch and turn it like you would squash a cigaret butt. If your reach is short, compensate by turning your shoulders more, and not by lifting the right foot and leaning forward.
    Other wise, looks good. (Though if videoing, put something on your body pls...some of us are watching it at work..lol)

Posted On:
    5/08/2013 12:53pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks y'all! Much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by erezb View Post
    Your jabbing is ok. Though when you double jab, turn your shoulder back again (squaring off again) before throwing the second one (if you want power in the second one you need to coil back up again, it is almost like fainting a cross after the first jab just only with your shoulder).
    The only "big" problem was with your cross. You tend not to turn your heel enough, and as mentioned above you actually sometimes lift your right foot off the ground to try and reach with the cross. This isn't good, it means you don't generate the power correctly, it does not start with the foot as it should. Try some rounds with just the right hand. make sure you step hard on your right foot to start the punch and turn it like you would squash a cigaret butt. If your reach is short, compensate by turning your shoulders more, and not by lifting the right foot and leaning forward.
    Other wise, looks good. (Though if videoing, put something on your body pls...some of us are watching it at work..lol)
    Thanks man! Again, much appreciated! :D

Sorry 'bout the shirt thing haha. This is in the morning at my mma gym so there's not too many people there, and that's how I workout. I'll put a shirt on next time I film.

heaven sent and hell bent but weapons clenched and well kept

Posted On:
    5/08/2013 12:55pm

supporting member
     Style: 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your feet are fast but if you are trying to learn boxing those stances look too square when you strike, like this:

Try more for this kind of basic boxing stance.

http://www.expertboxing.com/boxing-b...-boxing-stance

Posted On:
    5/09/2013 7:10am

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In regards to boxing stance most of our guys stand pretty close to square on. But stance is kind of a tricky thing to demand of someone else.

Oh and feel free to punch the bag more often
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Posted On:
    5/09/2013 9:16am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I actually think if he should add anything it's more defensive movements, bobbing & weaving, raising the guard up, jumping or leaning back etc. You need to simulate a fight, and in a fight unless you are the X murderer you spend about as much energy and time, deflecting and avoiding punches. Add more backwards and forward movement, you practice enough side movement, but lets face it, if you are fighting an aggressive guy, you will use the backward movement more than the circling/side movement.
    You need to add a lot of sudden backward jumps with the guard up followed by a quick forward jump with a punch or some offensive maneuver.
    Imagine the bag as a bad ass opponent that you are intent on destroying.

Posted On:
    5/09/2013 2:02pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by erezb View Post
    ...raising the guard up...
    As opposed to raising it down?