Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Welterweight

Posted On:
    4/28/2014 7:26pm

supporting member
     Style: belt and jacket wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I got armbarred in pretty short order, which I think I could have avoided, but was waiting for the ref to stand us back up.

We started off working for grips, and I felt great... He didn't feel particularly strong, or fast, or crafty. He left his lead leg wide open for a pick/tap or kata guruma, so I shot in for it, and he spun around to avoid falling. With him out-of-place, I bellied out, and was waiting for the ref to stand it up. He then began to dig for an arm, which took him some time, and peeled me over for an armbar. I defended it for quite some time... At least 30 seconds, if not longer, and he was not able to extend the arm. I continued to wait, as I did not feel in trouble, and I figured the newaza clock had to be getting close. He eventually extended the arm and got the tap.

I should have just actively defended the lock, but it is usually the case that it would have been stopped when I bellied out, or after he was not able to extend the arm for so long. Next time I know not to rely on the ref. Lesson learned.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    4/29/2014 11:12am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmonk View Post
    I got armbarred in pretty short order, which I think I could have avoided, but was waiting for the ref to stand us back up.

We started off working for grips, and I felt great... He didn't feel particularly strong, or fast, or crafty. He left his lead leg wide open for a pick/tap or kata guruma, so I shot in for it, and he spun around to avoid falling. With him out-of-place, I bellied out, and was waiting for the ref to stand it up. He then began to dig for an arm, which took him some time, and peeled me over for an armbar. I defended it for quite some time... At least 30 seconds, if not longer, and he was not able to extend the arm. I continued to wait, as I did not feel in trouble, and I figured the newaza clock had to be getting close. He eventually extended the arm and got the tap.

I should have just actively defended the lock, but it is usually the case that it would have been stopped when I bellied out, or after he was not able to extend the arm for so long. Next time I know not to rely on the ref. Lesson learned.
    Yeah, I tell my students that all the time, don't depend on the ref. It works some of the time, but when it doesn't, it sucks. Probably a higher percentage move in Judo than other grappling arts, though I still discourage it.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/01/2014 12:58am

Style: BJJ/Submission Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dude I wish I would have know you where going there I skipped that tournament because I didn't wanna cut weight.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/01/2014 1:02am

Style: BJJ/Submission Wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    by the way nifty take-down

Welterweight

Posted On:
    5/01/2014 9:34am

supporting member
     Style: belt and jacket wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by billythepunk View Post
    Dude I wish I would have know you where going there I skipped that tournament because I didn't wanna cut weight.
    They weigh you in right before you compete, so it wouldn't be smart to cut weight. I don't cut weight at all anymore, ever, unless it's an overseas comp.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12