Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst 1234 567814 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/05/2013 6:51am

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    David Levicki would've won UFC 2 if it was life-or-death. He could've just used the neck breaking technique he learned in the Special Forces and kill everyone in the tournament, Royce Gracie included. Let's see how Gracie jiu-jitsu teaches you to handle attacks to the neck.

I'm tired of how the Gracie mafia isn't willing to fight any of the good PKers*. Emin Bozetepe offered to fight the Gracies, but they've chosen to run away and evade the confrontation. All they did in response to Bozetepe's challenge was offer him a chance to fight Royce in UFC 5. BOZETEPE HAS SPECIFICALLY STATED IN THE PAST THAT HE IS NOT WILLING TO FIGHT IN THAT VENUE. IF THE GRACIES REALLY WANTED TO ACCEPT THE CHALLENGE, THEN WHY DID THEY ONLY OFFER TO FIGHT HIM IN AN ARENA IN WHICH HE DOES NOT WANT TO STEP INTO. Bozetepe has nothing to prove by fighting on TV. Fighting on television is something only people with egos need to do.

* Punch-Kickers
    Last edited by Holy Moment; 5/05/2013 6:55am at .

Middleweight

Posted On:
    5/05/2013 7:01am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ+Sanda

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vieux Normand View Post
    Will likely be determined by superior use of weaponry.
    Of course, but with the weather warming up, it's getting more difficult to dress inconspicuously, and still conceal my aircraft carrier.
    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    5/05/2013 7:35am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicpoet View Post
    My claim is that if you're a fit athlete and you have skill, chances are you'll do all right for yourself in a street fight irrespective of what sport you participate in — provided, of course, that the sport itself is non-compliant.
    So, yes, you claim all (combat?) sports prepare a fighter identically for a confrontation on the street.

The best chances at a favourable outcome are size,
    Yes, I advise my friends intersted in self-defense to become 325lb defensive ends all the time.

conditioning,
    I wonder if conditioning by punching, kicking, taking down and countering takedowns, and grappling might apply to a fight more than other kinds of conditioning? Oh, wait, no, you've already stated that it won't.

stamina,
    Um... OK?

skill,
    You means like the skills of throwing, stopping and absorbing strikes, executing and defending takedowns, improving or escaping control positions on the ground, executing joint locks, those sort of skills? I wonder if one of the combat sports trains specif... oh, wait, no, we've already covered this.

luck.
    Yes, I always advise my friends interested in self defense to be lucky. In fact, if one is sufficiently lucky, one never has a need for self defense. You have to be careful to ensure your luck drills embrace aliveness though.
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.

Posted On:
    5/05/2013 9:40am

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ermghoti View Post
    ...with the weather warming up, it's getting more difficult to dress inconspicuously, and still conceal my aircraft carrier.
    More lube = your problem solved.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    5/05/2013 11:46am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vieux Normand View Post
    More lube = your problem solved.
    Curse you, you saw through my cunning code!

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    5/05/2013 12:22pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The irony of this thread is that nobody is discounting the boxer's skillset the way Atomic Poet is with his "derr herr, this blue belt had no business losing to this world class boxer" nonsense.

We're supposed to be the MMA nutriders, right? But I would never make such a silly assumption.

Posted On:
    5/05/2013 12:30pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    The irony of this thread is that nobody is discounting the boxer's skillset the way Atomic Poet is with his "derr herr, this blue belt had no business losing to this world class boxer" nonsense.

We're supposed to be the MMA nutriders, right? But I would never make such a silly assumption.
    Could it be that boxing is well respected here and often touted as an answer to what someone should train for self defense? No no that couldn't be it at all.

Cause you know Boxing gets treated like a mixture of Aikido and Wing Chun around here.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/05/2013 2:18pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    Could it be that boxing is well respected here and often touted as an answer to what someone should train for self defense? No no that couldn't be it at all.

Cause you know Boxing gets treated like a mixture of Aikido and Wing Chun around here.
    He's been going downhill since a thread, where people were arguing that MMA was taking over the popularity of boxing. Since then, he has posted and argued irrationally about boxing vs. MMA.

heaven sent and hell bent but weapons clenched and well kept

Posted On:
    5/05/2013 2:47pm

supporting member
     Style: 

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But what I believe this also shows is that MMA should not be considered the equivalent to street fighting. If it was, Mayorga's win wouldn't be considered so outrageous.
    Only an idiot would equate a martial arts ruleset with the generic situation of "street fight" which runs a spectrum from drunken shenanigans to first degree murder.

Yes, there are indeed safety parameters in "the street": "the law".

The law is what (usually) prevents two grown men from murdering each other in "da street", much like the MMA ruleset prevents two grown men from murdering each other in the ring.

But, "the law" is not a tangible thing. It's not "real". Neither is the MMA ruleset. So there are of course law/rule breakers in both MMA and "da street".

When they decide to break that rule, yep anything goes. In the ring, it can get you disqualified. In "the street" in New Jersey, it can be 30 days to 10 years in a state prison. So you tell me just how much better learning to "street fight" without rules versus MMA and other arts which teach both aggression as well as self control.

A skilled judoka could easily kill a man in "the street" by throwing his head into the curb with no other training whatsoever. So, randori is a fine "recreation" of "da street" as well, where one good throw can mean victory.

And what makes you think an MMA fighter or judoka or boxer or even Chunner (lord have mercy) couldn't put their knee through your spine in a street fight when the ref and physical ring are not there? Is that something that requires special training or something?
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 5/05/2013 3:07pm at .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/05/2013 3:55pm

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why the Hell don't the Gracies invite Holyfield to the UFC? They're obviously making millions from pay-per-views buys, instructional video cassettes, and t-shirt sales. If they wanted, they could bring in someone much better than that bum Jimmerson. I guess after Gerard Gordeau gave him all that trouble in the finals of the first UFC (It took Gracie almost a minute to take him down), the Gracie mafia became leery of bringing in someone who can really hit. Let's see Royce try to fight Bert Cooper, Razor Ruddock, or Michael Bentt. Good luck trying to Gracie Tackle someone who can stop you with one punch. Maybe Bentt can enter the next tournament and throw the UFC belt in the pile with his WBO belt and complete his collection of worthless titles.
Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst 1234 567814 ... LastLast