Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/04/2013 4:58pm

Style: Western Boxing, Tai Chi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    Another thing - the first I heard of this fight was when I read this thread. But a quick search on the almighty interwebs reveals Wesley Tiffer entered the fight with a stellar professional record of 0-1 and was maybe a blue belt. bwahahahahahaha!
    According to MMAMania, Tiffer was 5-1.

Still, even if Tiffer was 0-1, he has more MMA experience than Mayorga. Simply put, Tiffer has no business losing to an old and faded Mayorga.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Dad
    Coincidentally, here's Mike Tyson on espn acknowledging that he would've needed to learn the ground game if he ever did MMA.
    I'm not saying otherwise. What I am saying is that MMA isn't any more a real fight than any other combat sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Also, one fight serves as proof of nothing. Nobody can be consistently successful in MMA today without some grappling skill, period.
    I'm not talking about what you have to do to succeed at MMA. I'm talking about what you need to do to succeed at a street fight.

Mayorga may have cheated, but in the end he won.

Quote Originally Posted by ermghoti
    Ah, no. MMA was a competition for comparing the effectiveness of different martial arts against each other. It has since become a fairly lucrative sport with a variety of fighting styles tailored to win at it.
    Except UFC pretty much markets itself as being more "real" than other combat sports. Sure, it allows for a much wider variety of techniques, but it's still no more real than anything else.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    5/04/2013 5:11pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ+Sanda

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicpoet View Post
    Except UFC pretty much markets itself as being more "real" than other combat sports. Sure, it allows for a much wider variety of techniques, but it's still no more real than anything else.
    Irrespective of whether MMA does or doesn't market itself as such, it certainly is the closest thing in the mainstream combat sports world to a street fight, which does make it "more real," if we are to use such ludicrous terminology. Which is closer to a street fight, MMA or Muay Thai? MMA or freestyle wrestling? MMA or boxing? MMA has the loosest ruleset in professional fighting sports, by a fairly wide margin. That does not make it street fighting, but it does create a hierarchy of what does or doesn't have a greater applicability to a rules-free fight, even if there weren't previously.

When compared to martial arts that don't compete, but trumpet their superior r34lness, the comparison is even more stark.
    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/04/2013 5:23pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!

I'm not saying otherwise. What I am saying is that MMA isn't any more a real fight than any other combat sport.
    No, what you said was:
    Ricardo Mayorga's MMA debut shows why MMA is not street fighting
    Which is the EXACT same Hyperbole you accuse the UFC of using right here:
    I'm not talking about what you have to do to succeed at MMA. I'm talking about what you need to do to succeed at a street fight.
    So if I, once again, get the articles where MMAers subdue robbers, survive knife attacks and disarm gun wielders are you going to move the goal posts again?

Pick your debate and stick with it.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 5/04/2013 5:26pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/04/2013 5:34pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    So if I, once again, get the articles where MMAers subdue robbers, survive knife attacks and disarm gun wielders are you going to move the goal posts again?

Pick your debate and stick with it.
    Cool, except combat sports athletes in general tend to do this. Amir Khan and his brother Haroon knocked out 6 robbers who were trying to steal his car.

Once again, how is MMA any more "real" than other combat sports?

Middleweight

Posted On:
    5/04/2013 5:37pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ+Sanda

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LOL. You're at the bottom of the hole you've been digging. If you're giving advice to somebody to learn a practical sport fighting vocabulary, what offers the best chance at a favorable outcome, MMA, boxing, BJJ, kickboxing, thumb wrestling?

Are they all equivalent? Because that is your claim so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/04/2013 5:48pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ermghoti View Post
    LOL. You're at the bottom of the hole you've been digging. If you're giving advice to somebody to learn a practical sport fighting vocabulary, what offers the best chance at a favorable outcome, MMA, boxing, BJJ, kickboxing, thumb wrestling?

Are they all equivalent? Because that is your claim so far.
    My claim is that if you're a fit athlete and you have skill, chances are you'll do all right for yourself in a street fight irrespective of what sport you participate in — provided, of course, that the sport itself is non-compliant.

The best chances at a favourable outcome are size, conditioning, stamina, skill, and luck.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/04/2013 5:51pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cool, except combat sports athletes in general tend to do this. Amir Khan and his brother Haroon knocked out 6 robbers who were trying to steal his car.
    Cool except that wasn't your original argument. That's you moving the goal posts. If you want to argue "Hey boxing is just as good in the street as MMA" do that.

I answered this:
    I'm talking about what you need to do to succeed at a street fight.
    Did I say I can get you articles to prove MMA can succeed in a street fight? Yes.

Did I say it is hyporble like you keep using? Yes.

You keep moving the goal posts while everyone has answered your questions.
    My claim is that if you're a fit athlete and you have skill, chances are you'll do all right for yourself in a street fight irrespective of what sport you participate in — provided, of course, that the sport itself is non-compliant.

The best chances at a favourable outcome are size, conditioning, stamina, skill, and luck.
    See, here is the newest one. See you idiots wonder why I jump your silly asses when you debate and cry. You say this in your opening post their is no argument. The worst you'll get is training will make you better and some MMA nutriding comments.

You are an established irrational BOXING nutrider, who is just as bad as MMA nutriders. You then build shitty arguments, that go in circles, until you decide to add a caveat that people might have agreed on in the first place.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 5/04/2013 5:54pm at .

Posted On:
    5/04/2013 5:52pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    WTF did I wake up in 1993 this morning?

On hiatus

Posted On:
    5/04/2013 5:53pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    AP, stop circling around it and just say what you wanna say: Boxing is just as good as MMA for self defense.

Allow me to preemptively reply with a "No, it's not".

EDIT: Damn IiF beat me to it.

(tab) Forum > Forum Actions > General Settings > in Thread Display Options > Number of Posts to Show Per Page: 40

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/04/2013 6:05pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    See you idiots wonder why I jump your silly asses when you debate and cry.
    You haven't said anything except accused me of not really having an argument at all. If that's the case, move on. Nothing to see here.

Quote Originally Posted by Tranquil Suit
    AP, stop circling around it and just say what you wanna say: Boxing is just as good as MMA for self defense.
    Except, this is not what I think.
Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast