Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/09/2013 10:38am

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by StayGuapa95 View Post
    I'm not, but it certainly seems that way, since a bunch of you seem to want to jump on everything I've posted. It's like mass attack day in class.
    Yes, you spoke in generalities and absolutes, that gets attacked on this website. Your JKD may be like MMA, all JKD is not "just like MMA only for street fighting."

Everyone who does MMA competes? Everybody? In every MMA school in every state in America? Everybody competes? Really?
    JKD its just like MMA only for street fighting? For Everybody? In Every JKD school in every state in America? Really? JKD is comepeting in MMA in every state?

I guess at some arbitrary semantic point to be determined by the knowledgable posters at Bullshido.
    Yep, just like the semantic arguments you are building. Since you like semantic generalities, JKD is not KNOWN for competing like MMA.

I'm supposed to assume all of that about the posters on this site? I'm sorry, but I'd rather take the word of my sifu on headbutting than some anonymous poster named Goodlun on the internet. Are you different than him? Am I supposed to give your semantics more faith?
    Right back at you. You are an anonymous poster, if you don't want discussion don't post.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 5/09/2013 10:41am at .

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    5/09/2013 11:07am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    See those last three words?
    "For street fighting".

I see them; it doesn't make your **** posts any better.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    5/09/2013 11:54am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    See those last three words?
    If the last 3 are important, so are the first four, yeah?

Anyway, yeah, I see em. And?

Cool. Who's your teacher?
    Frankly I'd rather not have him bothered by an Internet person who just started posting.

I'm not, but it certainly seems that way, since a bunch of you seem to want to jump on everything I've posted. It's like mass attack day in class.
    You generalized and several people took exception. Generalizing further doesn't seem like a good strategy for winning them over.

Everyone who does MMA competes? Everybody? In every MMA school in every state in America? Everybody competes? Really?
    I said competing is part of MMA methodology. Its how the technique and training in good gyms got where it is today, whether or not all the individuals there compete.

Straw man.

I guess at some arbitrary semantic point to be determined by the knowledgable posters at Bullshido.
    Or determined by your sifu and you rather than a large community, but your conversation options would be limited.

Mysoginist.
    For what? Saying "bitchy"? Cause that has nothing to do with you being a female. It has to do with bitching. Complaining. Taking unnecessary offense. You get the idea. You shouldn't cry wolf when there's so many real mIsogYnists out there.

I'm supposed to assume all of that about the posters on this site?
    No, nor should you assume the opposite.

Ideally you'd stop assuming that every sentence is meant to be extrapolated into an absolute about everyone.

I'm sorry, but I'd rather take the word of my sifu on headbutting than some anonymous poster named Goodlun on the internet. Are you different than him? Am I supposed to give your semantics more faith?
    I suppose you could hear all the opinions and then weigh them on their own merit, researching the grey areas. Or just listen to the guy with the Chinese title. Or some third thing.

Of course I'm different than goodlun. We're not the same guy, you see.
    I'm a beginner at JKD. I've been doing martial arts for over 10 years.
    Cool, which ones?

Posted On:
    5/09/2013 12:01pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by franginho View Post
    Why the **** would one headbutt with their head facing the attacker straight? As mentioned, you can break your nose, bust up the tissue over your eyes etc. I have been taught to turn your head a bit, tucking your chin in the direction of one shoulder and then use the side of your forehead because there is not much nerve tissue there, neither many blood vessels etc. to get you into trouble. You are also sorta save from upper cuts etc.
    And we trained that stuff on mits. The scenario was you either get control of their arms standing or you go to something like side mount/ mount/ half guard and then utilize it.
    If you hit with the hairline, you're not going to hit with your nose. Its the way karate guys use their heads to break stuff. This is sometimes recommended over the side of the head because you're twisting your cervical vertebrae to hit with the side (assuming you're hitting in front of you). Your cervical vertebrae have your internal carotid arteries running through little holes in the ring (transverse foramen)

Hitting too hard with a twisted neck could pinch the vessels with the bones.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    5/09/2013 12:04pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!

I'm supposed to assume all of that about the posters on this site? I'm sorry, but I'd rather take the word of my sifu on headbutting than some anonymous poster named Goodlun on the internet. Are you different than him? Am I supposed to give your semantics more faith?

I think you might be running into a specific problem here. No one has any idea who you are or how you train or where you train. This is what I brought up in the OTHER thread. We generally know each other, people have filled out their bios, gotten their training verified in order to have tags applied, attended meetups to spar with each other, posted competition videos, etc....

The established poster base has a good idea of who trains what and how.

No one knows anything about you except what you've chosen to tell us. Based on the existing body of knowledge and experience about people who have made the same claims that you are making you pretty quickly get lumped into the 'fucking retard' bucket.

If you don't want to be in that bucket then you need to back up a step and tell us who you are and what you are doing and where and how that makes it better than the same old **** we've seen before.

If you want to go with the whole, "I'm not giving my real name out to a bunch of psycho strangers." then you can PM your info to someone with a STAFF tag and get it verified that way and they can vouch for you to a degree. You'll still be required to back up your statements with real evidence though.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    5/09/2013 12:07pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Frankly I'd rather not have him bothered by an Internet person who just started posting.
    This is no more acceptable for you than it is for him.
    If you want to use your training as justification for your position then you had better be ready to man up and tell people where you train.

If you aren't prepared to offer up that kind of information then don't bring it up in the first place for fucks sake.

Where do you train and why does it make your opinion on the subject more valid than random noob guys opinion?

I feel like I'm moderating a middle school debate team event.

:)

Posted On:
    5/09/2013 12:08pm

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your semantics are dumb. Does anyone here actually know anything other than derp-derp I train for sports?
    Yes some do, but most of them know better than to conflate a sport with a general philosophy, because the acronym can be the same.

Posted On:
    5/09/2013 12:19pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon View Post
    This is no more acceptable for you than it is for him.
    If you want to use your training as justification for your position then you had better be ready to man up and tell people where you train.
    Okay, I train with the Babaos in the garage in Paradise Hills. GM Narrie and his son Narrison. His teachers were Turing Babao, Cacoy Canete and Ben Largusa. He's been teaching in San Diego for a few decades. Formerly I studied under Sifu Ben Stanley of Doc Fai Wong's choy li fut and tai chi lineage.

I should note, though, that I never demanded to know where she trains. "JKD with some sifu" is enough for me unless there are any specific fantastic claims.
    Last edited by Permalost; 5/09/2013 12:28pm at .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/09/2013 12:20pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seriously, why is this so difficult for you people? Take MMA, then add self-defense tactics. Some people don't train for competition, but that doesn't mean they don't use the same training methodology. If they're training for something else, they may change somethings, spar more than one person at a time, do MMA sparring with Kali sticks and knives, start from a different situation than just walking to the middle of the ring and tapping gloves.

Your semantics are dumb. Does anyone here actually know anything other than derp-derp I train for sports?
    You don't want to be generalized, but yet you come on here and generalize all of the members of the site into "derp-derp I train for sports".

Maybe you should step down off your high horse. JKD is not the only people who train combatives. There are a lot of others. And despite what you have seen, there are a lot of JKD school that don't train with aliveness. JKD is not the most standardized system out there.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/09/2013 12:27pm

Style: Escrima n00b

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ummmm...I didn't say JKD is just like MMA.
    Seriously, why is this so difficult for you people?
    You defend yourself like a dolphin. Suddenly your entire argument makes more sense.
    This is just taken from ONE of your posts.

You're very rude for someone who has just joined the community. Are you actually interested in considering other ideas for their merits, or are you here to state things at people and get upset when someone disagrees with you?