Page 15 of 36 FirstFirst ... 51112131415 1617181925 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/08/2013 4:37pm

Style: Jeet Kune Do

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicpoet View Post
    For years, I've been hearing from MMA fans that if an elite boxer ever entered the octagon, it wouldn't even be a fight. The MMA fighter would take the fight to the ground, and submit the boxer instantaneously. Supposedly, it wouldn't even be a fight.

The example that's always trotted out again and again is Toney vs. Couture.

Well, another old and washed up boxer made his MMA debut. This time it was Ricardo Mayorga. A submission was tried, but this is what happened.

Now in case you couldn't get the gif to load, I'll just tell you what happened.

Wesley Tiffer tried a submission hold on Mayorga, but Mayorga kneed him in the spine, then bludgeoned him with punches.

Now, this "win" of Mayorga's has caused an outrage in the MMA community. For good reason. Knees to the spine should be illegal.

But what I believe this also shows is that MMA should not be considered the equivalent to street fighting. If it was, Mayorga's win wouldn't be considered so outrageous.

You can't have it both ways. Either MMA is a sport in which it's acknowledged that there's limitations on styles or techniques. Or it's a simulation of street fighting.

Either Mayorga is a scumbag for not following the rules, or he's just doing whatever he can to win.
    I don't think it has to be an either or situation. Just look at Jeet Kune Do. I started training last year and its just like MMA only for street fighting.

Posted On:
    5/08/2013 4:51pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by StayGuapa95 View Post
    I don't think it has to be an either or situation. Just look at Jeet Kune Do. I started training last year and its just like MMA only for street fighting.
    Care to elaborate on the difference between the street and the cage and how this should affect the way you train?

Welterweight

Posted On:
    5/08/2013 4:55pm

supporting member
     Style: Escrima n00b

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    *grabs popcorn*

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/08/2013 5:00pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    Care to elaborate on the difference between the street and the cage and how this should affect the way you train?
    Well, I mean you can train punching and everything, but you don't train headbutting in MMA right? Cuz its against the rules. So you would have to add that in. And knives.

On hiatus

Posted On:
    5/08/2013 5:00pm

supporting member
     Style: Getting fat.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckWepner View Post
    Hey, streetfighting isn't just self-defense! According to former light heavyweight Champ and Cus D'Amato protege' Jose' Torres, when he was working Tyson's camp in Catskill, Tyson used to make recreational trips back into NYC to mug elderly people.
    Source first, please.

(tab) Forum > Forum Actions > General Settings > in Thread Display Options > Number of Posts to Show Per Page: 40

Posted On:
    5/08/2013 5:10pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I mean you can train punching and everything, but you don't train headbutting in MMA right? Cuz its against the rules. So you would have to add that in. And knives.
    Why would I have to add in Headbutting its not particularly useful in a Self Defense situation or a street fight.
    Given that we all have a certain amount of time we can train for. That time is best used working on high percentage things. So during the time you are wasting on working on things that are "against the rules" I am working on things that make me an overall better fighter such as being able to maintain a dominant position.

On hiatus

Posted On:
    5/08/2013 5:16pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why would I have to add in Headbutting its not particularly useful in a Self Defense situation or a street fight.
    Gotta disagree with you there.

(tab) Forum > Forum Actions > General Settings > in Thread Display Options > Number of Posts to Show Per Page: 40

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/08/2013 5:16pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Given that we all have a certain amount of time we can train for. That time is best used working on high percentage things. So during the time you are wasting on working on things that are "against the rules" I am working on things that make me an overall better fighter such as being able to maintain a dominant position.

Yeah, that wasn't effective at all...

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    5/08/2013 5:17pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think you're mixing the concept of MMA with the concept of mixing martial arts. MMA is a sport with a particular ruleset. Mixing martial arts is just mixing martial arts. JKD doesn't have a competitive ruleset where its fighters compete so its not "just like MMA".

On hiatus

Posted On:
    5/08/2013 5:19pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Yeah, that wasn't effective at all...
    The victim faked it.