232673 Bullies, 3703 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. 5
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Help Team American Sambo head to England in June!

Hi all, I am glad to say that the ASA will be bringing a team to the 2013 British Open Sambo Championships on the weekend of June 30th (in Bedford). Maybe we will see some Euro bullies there!?

As you know Sambo receives very little financial support in the US. We need your help! Please take a moment to visit our team page and consider making a donation to help us get to England in June. So far we have raised just under $1k, but we still need your help! This is a huge trip and the ASA wants to support our guys as best we can. Our team has done very well in the event in the past (as you will see on our team page) and we want to represent the US again in 2013 with your support!

If you love Sambo and want to see our team grow, please consider supporting us with as little or much as you can donate! $5, $10, $20, $100...whatever you feel like kicking in would be extremely helpful.

DONATE HERE: http://ussambo.com/tas.html

How was our ASA team for the 2013 British Open Sambo Championships was selected? In the US, teams have generally been hand picked preferentially by those organizing the teams. This method, while sufficient in the past, can no longer be the model by which we choose our teams.

For our sport to grow and solidify, team selection needs to be handled more fairly & democratically. Especially in cases where there is no formal team trial (as in this case). The ASA, during the past ten years, has established a national ranking system based on domestic Sambo tournament results (not just ASA Sambo tournaments). This is the primary basis for our team selection, though other factors have also been considered. To learn more about how the ASA national rankings are compiled, visit this link: http://ussambo.com/rankings.html

The basis for how our team was selected this year comprised of three factors (in order of importance):

1) Placing in our national rankings. If you are not ranked, you can't be on the team. Highest ranked US citizens were considered first, if they were not available we moved down the rankings (all team members are ranked #6 or higher). If athletes were tied for a ranking, we looked at criteria 2 & 3.

2) Frequency of Sambo competition. Who has competed Sambo most recently?

3) International & related competition experience. Has the athlete competed internationally prior? What other experience do you have? For example Judo experience relates more to sport Sambo competition than BJJ experience.

The team current roster includes:

62kg Sport - Richard Crenwelge (Bully! Monolith Grappling Arts, Texas). Richard took home Gold at the 2011 Texas Open, Silver at the 2013 NOLA Sambo Open, and Bronze at the 2012 Texas Open. He competed internationally on the US Team at the 2011 Kharlampiev Cup in Moscow and 2012 Belt Wrestling World Championships in Ufa, Russia. He is Ranked #5 in the ASA National Rankings.

68kg Sport and Combat - Ben Syers (Team Renegade, New York).
    Ben won the 2013 NOLA Sambo Open and 2008 North American Freestyle Sambo Championships. He took home Silver at 2009 Renegade Invitational Sambo tournament. Ranked #3 in the ASA National Rankings. Ben is an active MMA fighter with a 5-2 record.

74kg Sport and Combat - Wade Allison (Monolith Grappling Arts, Texas). Wade took home gold from the 2013 NOLA Sambo Open and Gold in the 2013 San Antonio Judo Open. Wade is currently ranked #6 in the ASA National Rankings.

82kg Sport and Combat - Jeremy Piaser (Team Renegade, New York). Ranked #1 in the ASA National Rankings. Jeremy won the North American Freestyle Sambo Championships 2007-2009 & 2012. He won the 2007 Canadian Combat Sambo Challenge and a Bronze at the 2011 USA Open and has a 1-1 MMA record.

90kg Sport - Anthony Sansonetti (Team Renegade, New York).
    Veteran Team American Sambo member. 2011 Dutch Open Silver Medalist and 2010 British Open Gold Medalist. Anthony also won Gold at the 2013 Arnold's Martial Arts Festival Sambo Tournament and Silver at the 2013 NOLA Sambo Open and is ranked #5 in the ASA national rankings.

100kg Sport - Marshall Leavoy (LA Boxing, Louisiana). Ranked #1 in the ASA national rankings. Marshall has won the 2011, 2012 Texas Open Freestyle Sambo Championships, the 2013 NOLA Sambo Open, and was a 2012 Pan American team member.

100+kg Sport/Masters - Alexius Phoenix (NY Combat Sambo, New York). Alexius is a 2011 World Police and Fireman Games Bronze Medalist (Judo), 2008 North American Freestyle Sambo Championships Silver Medalist, and 2008 Canadian Freestyle Sambo Open Silver Medalist. Ranked #5 in ASA national rankings.

Thanks in advance for considering supporting Team American Sambo!

--{Edit: Picture added by IIF]--
    Last edited by It is Fake; 5/08/2013 12:30pm at .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/04/2013 9:46pm

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We don't have Sambo here in Oklahoma. Sad really as this is an area of the US with a huge wrestling population as well as bjj and judo. Closest we have here that I know of is my old dojo's combat judo (judo with boxing).

$50 donated to your people Steve. Good luck on your fund raising effort and give them hell when you get there.

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    5/04/2013 10:10pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     NY Combat Sambo Style: combat sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hungryjoe View Post
    We don't have Sambo here in Oklahoma. Sad really as this is an area of the US with a huge wrestling population as well as bjj and judo. Closest we have here that I know of is my old dojo's combat judo (judo with boxing).

$50 donated to your people Steve. Good luck on your fund raising effort and give them hell when you get there.
    Thank you kind Sir! Your help is greatly appreciated!
    One of the best Bullshido investigations ever written: http://www.bullshido.org/David_Kujawski_Investigation

"disgruntled ex student who couldn't hack training with Dave and his material and opted out (could be called pussied out) of training to go to Sambo" - Mor Sao

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/05/2013 12:33am

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Donated.

Good luck.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/05/2013 4:43am

Style: Holiday Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anything that promotes the grappling arts is a great thing in my book. Especially when it promotes the international element.

50 on its way to you sir!

Anything that promotes the grappling arts is a great thing in my book. Especially when it promotes the international element.

50 on its way to you sir!

Posted On:
    5/05/2013 4:52am

Style: FMA/MMA/HEMA noob

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Argh. I downvoted your post by accident.

Good luck to your team, I'd definitely be interested in coming along to watch you guys fight.

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    5/05/2013 8:43am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks so much guys! I do hope to meet some of the Euro bullies who can make it!

The event is at:
    Biddenham International School, Biddenham Turn, Bedford, MK40 4AZ
    For more information about the event contact Russell Dodds at Bedford.grappling.academy@gmail.com
    One of the best Bullshido investigations ever written: http://www.bullshido.org/David_Kujawski_Investigation

"disgruntled ex student who couldn't hack training with Dave and his material and opted out (could be called pussied out) of training to go to Sambo" - Mor Sao

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/05/2013 8:56am

Style: Escrima n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Too poor to donate in time Steve, but I wish you guys the best of luck. We'll do our best to come see you in June!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/05/2013 9:00am

Style: Holiday Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Katje View Post
    Too poor to donate in time Steve, but I wish you guys the best of luck. We'll do our best to come see you in June!
    If you make it, give him a big kiss from me. That goes for Fuzzy too. I'm taking Woman of Doom to Ascot in June so I doubt I'll make the event.

EDIT: Do you mind if I cross-post this to Sociocide Steve? A few people there that may want to help but don't post here anymore or infrequently so they may miss the thread.

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    5/05/2013 1:41pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Awww...a kiss. Thanks ;) LOL
    Definitely, please feel free to repost. Thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast