223605 Bullies, 3795 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 1 to 9 of 9
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Rudenoodle is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    United States of Amnesia
    Posts
    160

    Posted On:
    5/03/2013 10:11am


     Style: Jiu Jitsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Ezekiel Choke gi/ no gi

    Hello I've been training BJJ about nine months and one of the chokes that for whatever reason I have become somewhat adept at is the Ezekiel from someones guard and the mount and roll technique. I have a question concerning the nature of this choke, It was taught to the class a couple weeks into my training however i rarely see anyone use it even though it seems like it's wide open in many occasions.

    I have used it many times and have had more success with this submission than any others although I do try to keep an open game but on more than one occasion guys have told me that it is a douchbag choke or "cheap".

    Since it has been applied to be in the past i realize it does have more of a gagging sensation than other chokes but still don't understand why this move seems to be frowned upon more so than a collar choke / whatever, so anyways just looking for some input.
  2. BKR is offline
    BKR's Avatar

    My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    4,297

    Posted On:
    5/03/2013 11:08am

    Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudenoodle View Post
    Hello I've been training BJJ about nine months and one of the chokes that for whatever reason I have become somewhat adept at is the Ezekiel from someones guard and the mount and roll technique. I have a question concerning the nature of this choke, It was taught to the class a couple weeks into my training however i rarely see anyone use it even though it seems like it's wide open in many occasions.

    I have used it many times and have had more success with this submission than any others although I do try to keep an open game but on more than one occasion guys have told me that it is a douchbag choke or "cheap".

    Since it has been applied to be in the past i realize it does have more of a gagging sensation than other chokes but still don't understand why this move seems to be frowned upon more so than a collar choke / whatever, so anyways just looking for some input.
    Do your classmates complain that the "Ezekiel" is "cheap" or "douchebag" technique?

    It's not as common to use it in Judo (it's called Sode Guruma Jime/sleeve wheel strangle), although it does get used. I've never had anyone complain about it. It CAN put pressure on the windpipe (as can a RNC/Hadaka Jime depending on the angle and how it's done).

    I would say if you are just pressing down directly on the windpipe, it can be pretty painful.

    You might ask your instructor as well, and have him/her check on how your are applying the choke. If you are just pressing down on the windpipe then you might need to work on it.
    Last edited by BKR; 5/03/2013 11:11am at . Reason: doubled again
    Falling for Judo since 1980
  3. Ming Loyalist is offline
    Ming Loyalist's Avatar

    solves problems with violence

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    4,303

    Posted On:
    5/03/2013 11:20am

    supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    it's become one of my top submissions, along with the bow & arrow. no one has complained about it being a cheap move, but i do have to show everyone how i caught them with it (i tend to get it from their side as opposed to front or back, so most don't see it coming.)

    i'd be curious as to what you are doing with it to piss people off. maybe a jaw crush?
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj
  4. Rudenoodle is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    United States of Amnesia
    Posts
    160

    Posted On:
    5/03/2013 11:41am


     Style: Jiu Jitsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just go hand to shoulder then slide down to bicep.
  5. franginho is offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    250

    Posted On:
    5/03/2013 11:45am


     Style: JiuJistu

    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    @OP
    If you end up with the gagging thing, this is usually because you have rotated the choke to far into the direction of your choking hand. Lets say you are grabbing your right hand sleeve with your left hand, applying the pressure with your right hand. rotate the entire set up in direction of your left hand, this way the blade of your left arm should be not behind his neck but rather on the side and your right will sit over the artery, making the choke more effective.

    Like Ming, I get it more from side or top half guard. I don't like to use it from mount because you can get swept too easy for my tasting (thought I mostly get the finish even when they reverse).
    The inverted ezekiel from back control catches a lot of folks off guard thus I like it at times...
  6. jnp is offline
    jnp's Avatar

    Titanium laced beauty

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    8,225

    Posted On:
    5/03/2013 2:22pm

    supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

    3
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Turn their head to the side when you slide the top arm across the throat, or use the bottom forearm to assist in turning the head. You can even do it with both arms after you get your grips.

    Once their head is turned to the side, it's no longer a windpipe choke. You should be applying the pressure across the carotids instead of the trachea.
  7. franginho is offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    250

    Posted On:
    5/03/2013 2:40pm


     Style: JiuJistu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    @JNP are you talking to slide your choking hand (with the back of the hand) across their cheek/face and force the chin to turn or are you talking about something else?

    While we are on it. anybody here doing the fist ezekiel? I like that one no gi to "make them react" but I only know one guy who chokes you with it, the rest is more a "pain" thing, any pointers/ideas?
  8. jnp is offline
    jnp's Avatar

    Titanium laced beauty

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    8,225

    Posted On:
    5/03/2013 4:04pm

    supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by franginho View Post
    @JNP are you talking to slide your choking hand (with the back of the hand) across their cheek/face and force the chin to turn or are you talking about something else?
    Yes. You can also turn the neck using either the blade of the radius or the meat of your forearm. You can flare the elbow when it's under the chin to start the turn and then finish the rotation with your own head on the side of their chin.

    There are many paths to the same destination.

    Quote Originally Posted by franginho View Post
    While we are on it. anybody here doing the fist ezekiel? I like that one no gi to "make them react" but I only know one guy who chokes you with it, the rest is more a "pain" thing, any pointers/ideas?
    I had a 3rd dan Judoka training partner who started as a white belt in BJJ at the same time I did. He loved to use that technique against me.

    It's definitely a dick move in my opinion. It's also a low percentage move against higher level opponents as it's typically light on control unless executed from positions of extreme control such as knee on neck/shoulder.
  9. Rudenoodle is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    United States of Amnesia
    Posts
    160

    Posted On:
    5/03/2013 6:31pm


     Style: Jiu Jitsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for your input lots of good reading here.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.