Administrator

Posted On:
    5/01/2004 4:04pm

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by greese1
    Everyone I know who did straight up Judo several consecutive nights ended up fucking themselves up or burning out...fast. Assuming you are going all out randori. If you are doing light randori or drilling or ground randori I don't see people having the same problems.
    Advanced class - Mon and weds are the long classes, *alot* of Randori. Tuesday and thurs are the newbie/non competing classes. Tuesday seems to be the day we spend on Newaza. (This coming tues I'm breaking my vow of not going after brown and higher on the ground). This past thursday, I really felt it when we did newaza, generally the last 10 minutes of class. My left bicep felt like it was pulled bad,so couldn't use my left arm at all. One of the younger guys, a green, still wanted to roll. So I did with one hand in my belt. Tapped him with a triangle choke. For a split second, I felt like Rickson. :)

With this schedule, it is tough, but I can hang with it. It's the only way I can get to my goal in 3 months. I'm seeing great improvements, but I do worry about burn out. So under your advice,I'm gonna toggle down to 4 days on 3 days off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/01/2004 6:02pm

Style: Taijiquan - Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One class per week is a whole lot better than no classes per week - it will just take much, much longer to improve. My goal is to have a fun workout, so I'd do an hour a week (I usually practice Judo for three) even if I never improved. The drills at home and anything else you can do would definitely help.
    Overtraining - you just have to find out how much your body can take. I recently spent a 1.5 week break from Judo/BJJ due to injury after doing (in a 3-day period) two Judo classes - one was an all-out competitive workout - one BJJ class, slo-mo bodyweight exercises and running. Probably not much for some but for me - Ouch! That definitely slows down the learning process. I'll be 36 in less than two months and I just can't do some of the things I used to be able to do.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/01/2004 6:05pm

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hear ya Greg! 35 here, and I feel it every night. :(

I actually trained more strictly BJJ, 5-7 times a week, with one day, wednesday, twice (Privates).

Judo is way more demanding than BJJ.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Grandmaster Sensei of Village Idiocy

Posted On:
    5/06/2004 2:00am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kyokushin and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Burn out ?

WHats that like ? Is it where you feel you have no energy and cannot get out of bed ?
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!

Posted On:
    5/06/2004 2:03am

hall of fame
     Style: jits with hits

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by GregW
    One class per week is a whole lot better than no classes per week
    We have a winner!
    "I'm offering straight punch, kick while downed to the ribs or head, and of course- the german suplex...which is one suplex quickly followed by another." - Guerilla Fists

Matt Thornton explains "aliveness": http://www.bullshido.com/videos/sbg2.wmv

West Wind Karate / West Wind Bok Fu / West Wind Kung Fu thread
    West Wind Karate / West Wind Bok Fu / West Wind Kung Fu archive thread
    (experiment to see if I can boost the thread's Google rank)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/07/2004 6:29am

Style: strength, judo, kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    These judo throws hurt like a bitch!

Posted On:
    5/07/2004 6:51am

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As you get older and hopefuly wiser, you will understand that the quality of your workouts matter more than the quantity.
    1 judo workout a week is indeed, better than nothing, and if you learn and absorbe what you are being taught, that is the whole point.
    Training 5-6 days a week is soemthing that pro's do, because they have the life for that.
    For the average guy/gal, you train as much as you can, when you can.

Rule of thumb, when you are missing classes or you are sore on a regular basis, its time to cut down, the MA will ALWAYS be there, you won't.

Moderation is the key to longevity in ANYTHING.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12