Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/30/2004 4:08pm

Style: strength, judo, kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Judo : training once a week is enough?

Found this great Judo place in my area (pretty much around the corner of where I live) and I'm thinking about joining them. Watched a few classes : typically the one hour class consists of half an hour of throwing and half an hour of groundwork so I think this would cover the holes in my training (meaning NO GRAPPLE whatsoever).
    Problem is I will only be able to make it to class once a week, because I also do Kyokushin twice a week and my kids want to see their daddy sometimes too.
    So, does it make sense to go their once a week, or shouldn't I bother?
    Any Judo guys?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/30/2004 4:09pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ****... wrong forum, could someone please move this to general discussion?
    Last edited by johnbo; 4/30/2004 4:14pm at .

Posted On:
    4/30/2004 4:26pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is probably as good a place as any.

Doing anything once a week is probably not enough, but if you've got a family to worry about then that's a secondary concern. I find that two classes a week (two hours each) is enough to make me proficient, but I also get a chance to do freestyle grappling on weekends.

If you've got Kyokushin going twice a week I wouldn't worry about it. If you have any past MA experience you will pick up grappling much faster than the untrained. If you want to go more but want to see your kids, sign them up too :D

(Don't force them into it though. That's the fastest way to make any kid hate a sport.)

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/30/2004 4:37pm

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do Judo. I let my instructor know I studied BJJ before, he automatically put me in the competition class. School classes are broken down to thost who compete (1.5 hours a day) to those who don't (1 hour class) Since both classes only have 2 training days a week, I do them all and an open mat on Fridays.

I don't think you can properly learn with just one class a week, unless you practiced drills at home. The best thing I heard from one of the BB's I train with, was I was coming along nicely in just my 3rd week back.

I read a saying on http://www.judoinfo.com It went, "I train Judo on every day that ends with a Y".

With your limited time, youhave to make the decision which you want to train in. There's nothing saying you could do one style one month, then next month change, and so on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Motorboatin SOB

Posted On:
    4/30/2004 6:18pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo and BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OTOH, Depending on how you train, it tends to be pretty tough on the body to train more than 3 times a week if you do lots of randori. Last night we did Shihai Randori full out last night for about 1.5 hours with maybe 30 second breaks. If I went and trained hard tonight, the odds of me getting injured are pretty good. Of course, I am resonible sure I broke my toe last night, but that is besides the point...But it is really difficult to go hard 5 times a week or so on your body. I had always assumed that but there was a thread on mma.tv in the Judo forum that had a bunch of national guys saying pretty close to the same thing.
    Judo is probably the hardest sport you can do on your body if you go hard and you have to recupe. However, I would have no problem with someone doing Judo and alternate BJJ. Good work out and BJJ tends to be a lot easier on the body.
    And that's when I figured out that tears couldn't make somebody who was dead alive again. There's another thing to learn about tears, they can't make somebody who doesn't love you any more love you again. It's the same with prayers. I wonder how much of their lives people waste crying and praying to God. If you ask me, the devil makes more sense than God does. I can at least see why people would want him around. It's good to have somebody to blame for the bad stuff they do. Maybe God's there because people get scared of all the bad stuff they do. They figure that God and the Devil are always playing this game of tug-of-war game with them. And they never know which side they're gonna wind up on. I guess that tug-of-war idea explains how sometimes, even when people try to do something good, it still turns out bad.

Posted On:
    4/30/2004 6:43pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with greese. I spent the entire second term of school getting up early to work wednesday and friday mornings after tuesday and thursday night Judo classes, and 90% of the time I felt like **** for a few hours after I got up.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/30/2004 6:49pm

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No doubt, I feel like **** every morning.

I'm gonna miss open mat tonight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Motorboatin SOB

Posted On:
    4/30/2004 7:12pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo and BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Everyone I know who did straight up Judo several consecutive nights ended up fucking themselves up or burning out...fast. Assuming you are going all out randori. If you are doing light randori or drilling or ground randori I don't see people having the same problems.
    And that's when I figured out that tears couldn't make somebody who was dead alive again. There's another thing to learn about tears, they can't make somebody who doesn't love you any more love you again. It's the same with prayers. I wonder how much of their lives people waste crying and praying to God. If you ask me, the devil makes more sense than God does. I can at least see why people would want him around. It's good to have somebody to blame for the bad stuff they do. Maybe God's there because people get scared of all the bad stuff they do. They figure that God and the Devil are always playing this game of tug-of-war game with them. And they never know which side they're gonna wind up on. I guess that tug-of-war idea explains how sometimes, even when people try to do something good, it still turns out bad.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/01/2004 1:44am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    is one night a week going to get you good at judo? i doubt it. at least it will take a very long time. but will one night a week give you a good idea of how to avoid throws/ submissions and enough knowledge to help you in a grappling situation untill you can use your striking? most likely. personally i don't think any training time is ever wasted if you are trying hard and learning i say practice while you can, do drills at home and don't get discouraged if you see others getting better faster. it may not make you a good judo player but it will make you a better fighter.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/01/2004 2:32pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks all.

Originally posted by willy
    but will one night a week give you a good idea of how to avoid throws/ submissions and enough knowledge to help you in a grappling situation untill you can use your striking? most likely.
    That's exactly what I'm looking for.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast