Sponsored Links Spacer Image

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    4/23/2013 5:45pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

Hell yeah! Hell no!

gay marriage

so over here in good old NZ we recently became the 13th country in the world to legalise gay marriage. a few thoughts-

Marriage has nothing to do with christianity. im getting married next year and there is zero religion involved. marriage is governed by the state which is supposed to support every citizen regardless of what (if any) religion they follow.

following on from that, what is the logical opposition to gay people being married? if in your country being gay is illegal, or your country is ruled in a religious manner, then it makes more sense. as soon as being gay is legal in your country then being allowed to marry should reasonably become legal straight away, because otherwise whats happening is a straight up discrimination for no apparent reason.

another thought- what does allowing gay people to marry do that is bad for the rest of us? i hear a lot about "moral decay" etc but when the majoirty of marriage ends in divorce anyway im not sure thats a valid (and also pretty damn vague) thing. i also hear the "what about the children!" arguement which is more valid. surrogate kids or adopted kids with gay parents being hassled at school etc? sure. at the same time though, now that having two dads or two mums is accepted in law, does it follow that it will over time become more acceptable to the public?

it wasnt that long ago that black people had to sit at the back of the bus in america, im sure when they first changed it people were sensitive but does it matter now? people adjust to these things. give it a generation and nobody will give a **** if you have two dads. i knew kids who were openly gay at school and people didnt really give a ****. public opinion swings and kids are usually pretty open to societal change.

as for what it gives us- an economic boost for one. gay people are generally better off financially, and now they get to have big fabulous weddings, complete with big fabulous pricetags. they get to be in on marriage jokes finally. and obviously the biggest one is simply recognition of what is a basic human right- any hetero, even the lowliest piece of **** scum sucker can get married, but a gay person who is a paragon cant? hardly seems fair. most gay people i know have no intention of getting married but are quite happy that they have the option if they want, like any other regular joe.

lastly, a nice little speech from one of our ministers. his point about the drought ending is quite hilarious to me because ive heard a bunch of **** from various corners about how our recent drought was due to this bill going through parliament. what happens the day it goes through? pours with rain, rainbows fucking EVERYWHERE. its been rain and rainbows since the bill, right on the verge of some of our biggest cities running out of water. i find that just fucking hilarious.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/23/2013 5:57pm

Style: Shorin Ryu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    With very few exceptions, people who oppose gay marriage are cunts.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/23/2013 6:01pm

Style: lazy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah if the silly cunts want to get married, let them. Won't be long before the gays want gay marriage banned .

Transmaniacon MC

Posted On:
    4/23/2013 6:11pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Foreword: I am an idiot. You have been warned.

There should be no legal limitation on who can "marry." I'll vote to allow it, no matter what it's called. It shouldn't be forbidden in the first place.

The problem in America, I think, is with the word, "marriage." It has religious significance to many, and it will always long be an uphill battle to co-opt or change the definition of that word.

Posted On:
    4/23/2013 6:42pm

Style: BJJ, MMA, JJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It doesn't necessarily take a generational change for societies views to shift. Contrast the reaction to Brenna Harding's two mum's in 2004:

The segment that caused so much consternation and triggered such an angry response from everyone from the Prime Minister and the Opposition Leader down to various vocal guardians of family virtue, was a minor part of a Play School episode and essentially involved an eight-year-old girl called Brenna referring to her adult companions as "my two mummies".
    http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...749769229.html

to 2013:

WHEN Puberty Blues actress Brenna Harding tearfully thanked "two women, my beautiful mothers'' in her Logies acceptance speech the reaction was swift and immediate.
    She got a heartfelt round of applause from those in the room and was inundated with messages of support on social media.
    http://www.news.com.au/entertainment...-1226619869551
    Dum spiro, spero.
    Tada gan iarracht.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    4/23/2013 7:14pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your arguments are based on reason and logic Alex. Most opponents of gay marriage shun both of those things in favor of religious intolerance.

They argue that gay parents will raise gay children. This will compound the "moral decay" already prevalent in 'Murrika and that in turn will lead to humans dying off as a race because everyone will be gay and no longer want to have babies. It's a matter of survival!

Never mind that there is zero research to support their viewpoint and some that directly contradicts it. Remember, reason and logic are the enemies of the righteous.

Posted On:
    4/23/2013 7:41pm

Style: BJJ, MMA, JJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dum spiro, spero.
    Tada gan iarracht.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    4/23/2013 8:30pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Moral righteousness is not on my to-do list. I say thumbs down to gay marriage. Not because I hate teh gheys, but because I have no reason to give a **** about gay people and their rights or lack thereof. I'm not a crusader. It's worth it to me not to have gay marriage just to avoid the extra expenditures if gays became eligible for Social Security survivor benefits.
    Last edited by Devil; 4/23/2013 8:34pm at .

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    4/23/2013 9:13pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    Moral righteousness is not on my to-do list. I say thumbs down to gay marriage. Not because I hate teh gheys, but because I have no reason to give a **** about gay people and their rights or lack thereof. I'm not a crusader. It's worth it to me not to have gay marriage just to avoid the extra expenditures if gays became eligible for Social Security survivor benefits.
    People who say this kind of crap often end up with gay kids.

See? You're not the only one who can troll this thread.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    4/23/2013 9:17pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    People who say this kind of crap often end up with gay kids.

See? You're not the only one who can troll this thread.
    Do you really believe in karma? I don't. Why must I be trolling just because I don't share your values? I gave a completely honest answer to the question being asked.
Page 1 of 29 1 234511 ... LastLast