Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    4/30/2013 12:55pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ke?poFist View Post
    Meh, the ones who actually come on to post and defend themselves are like religious fanatics ranting and raving about how they hate Hitchens and Dawkins.
    Exactly. You're not going to reach them here with an article like this. They aren't long term posters interested in rational discussions. They're flame out trolls. Hence, your commentary is preaching to the choir.

Meh, the ones who actually come on to post and defend themselves are like religious fanatics ranting and raving about how they hate Hitchens and Dawkins.
    Exactly. You're not going to reach them here with an article like this. They aren't long term posters interested in rational discussions. They're flame out trolls. Hence, your commentary is preaching to the choir.

Posted On:
    4/30/2013 1:10pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander View Post
    I don't think he is worried about the crazy extreme though. I think its more focused at the guy who may have heard the street vs sport arguments and though yeah that sounds reasonable. The guy who hasn't doesn't understand aliveness and hasn't been able to connect the dots about why sport is good himself may be able to read this and go well those are some damn good points to consider. Mostly that mass of people whom have never trained at all.

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    4/30/2013 4:53pm

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander View Post

I posted it on MAP in the self defense section. Actually got a pretty decent discussion out of it.
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Posted On:
    4/30/2013 6:08pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ...like religious fanatics...
    That would be this:

1) My MA is the most formidable.

2) If I win with it, that's because of 1).

3) If I don't win, it's because it's an awesome art that I'm just not yet sufficiently competent at.

4) When I become sufficiently amazing that I could beat anyone, I'll be a master who needs prove nothing with such lowly things as "challenges".

5) After decades of such mastery, I'll become too old to prove anything, but will have much verbal MA wisdom to impart (perhaps for a fee).

The religious-fanatic part?

Easy: disproving such claims is like disproving the existence of a deity or deities.

It's an unassailable view/delusion/whatever.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/30/2013 11:23pm

supporting member
     Style: Tang Soo Don't Retired

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Christopher Hitchens was an atheist. However, he was one of the most intelligent men that I have ever been aware of judging by his books. I am actually an agnostic by nature.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    5/01/2013 6:55am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I posted it on MAP in the self defense section. Actually got a pretty decent discussion out of it.
    I wonder if I can still log in there.

I wonder if I can still log in there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/01/2013 2:30pm

Style: Weight Lifting,Combatives

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I used to do goofy sword fighting **** with some of my buddies for laughs on the weekends. We all bought a mess of shinai and some protective gear and would full contact spar. I usually wore a fencing mask, some leather gauntlets and a cup to these shindigs. My leather gauntlets were not really up to full cotnact though and I took a really solid shot to the hand one day, almost enough to make me drop my stick. It left a huge welt through the gloves and there was some immediate swelling and it stung really bad but it wasn't enough to make me stop that 'round' or even quit for the day. After we were finished cracking each other with bamboo sticks we did some grilling and I realized I couldn't move two fingers. Turns out the shot had broken the pinky and ring finger on my right hand. After that I've never been able to take the small joint manipulation **** too seriously - my roommate is a kung fu dude and insists that his styles chi na grappling is superior to BJJ because of small joint breaks and every time he talks about it I'm sorely tempted to tell him to grab one of my fingers and attempt to break it while I punch him in the face.

Posted On:
    5/01/2013 2:37pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seriously though can anyone tell me how effective the small joint **** is even at breaking fingers/wrist and the what not? Cause I never see them set up in a manner where they have any sort of real leverage while standing. To get leverage on the ground you often typically need to be in the dominate position.

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    5/01/2013 2:40pm

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    Seriously though can anyone tell me how effective the small joint **** is even at breaking fingers/wrist and the what not? Cause I never see them set up in a manner where they have any sort of real leverage while standing. To get leverage on the ground you often typically need to be in the dominate position.
    It's highly effective if you know what you are doing and yes it can cause serious, possibly irreparable damage.

Whether or not you can take the damage in a real fight is up to you. But you would never try using it to spar, it'd rude to try to unnecessarily hurt your sparring partner.

Nobody goes to martial arts class to get a hyperextended limb or finger. That is counterproductive to anyone's training.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 5/01/2013 2:45pm at .

Posted On:
    5/01/2013 3:36pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    If your throwing your weight and momentum into it you absolutely can ranck a joint all to hell.

But getting the lock and applying it with enough speed to pre-empt a counter by a resisting oponent is an entirely different story.

Also, wether or not your oponent is dissabled by the pain is a different story as well.

Having busted bones during "adrenalin rush" situations (and not notice untill the dump subsides) I have a feeling you are more likely to piss some one off and escalate the violence than put them out of the fight with a mere busted finger.

In fact, I've found all that "pressure point / small joint lock" stuff to be woefully inefectual when traped in a solid triangle or armbar. Whatever the proponents may say, in such a possition the advantage still lies with the dude than can break your limb in exchange for all you "pinching and poking". JMHO...
    Last edited by Mr. Machette; 5/01/2013 3:39pm at .
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1234 5678 ... LastLast