Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/15/2013 1:25am

supporting member
     Style: Tang Soo Don't Retired

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Early 70s free form fighting using modern padding to spar with hard contact outside traditional styles?

You have just described jeet kune do.
    We used boxing gloves. You said modern padding. Make no mistake, we still did all the traditional stuff, e.g. Straight punches from the waist in a horse stance. All the basic blocking techniques, two-step self defense scenarios, and of course hyungs or kata if you will. And finally every kick in TSD was drilled into us. I'm 56 and was studying MA when Bruce Lee was still alive. I've read his book several times and adopted his philosophy into my martial arts when I was young. Now I'm older, MMA has evolved as well as some martial arts and I realized something, Bruce Lee was a showman and an OK martial artist. Nothing more. Too bad he never competed to see if JKD really worked for him. To me JKD is a label too. I never really cared for labels.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    5/15/2013 7:35am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by atheistmantis View Post
    We used boxing gloves. You said modern padding. Make no mistake, we still did all the traditional stuff, e.g. Straight punches from the waist in a horse stance. All the basic blocking techniques, two-step self defense scenarios, and of course hyungs or kata if you will. And finally every kick in TSD was drilled into us. I'm 56 and was studying MA when Bruce Lee was still alive. I've read his book several times and adopted his philosophy into my martial arts when I was young. Now I'm older, MMA has evolved as well as some martial arts and I realized something, Bruce Lee was a showman and an OK martial artist. Nothing more. Too bad he never competed to see if JKD really worked for him. To me JKD is a label too. I never really cared for labels.
    Tang Soo Do.

heaven sent and hell bent but weapons clenched and well kept

Posted On:
    5/15/2013 11:40am

supporting member
     Style: 

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    we still did all the traditional stuff, e.g. Straight punches from the waist in a horse stance.
    That's not traditional, it's just wrong.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    5/15/2013 12:37pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    That's not traditional, it's just wrong.
    Pretty much.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    5/15/2013 1:19pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We used boxing gloves. You said modern padding.
    Boxing gloves are modern padding. Before modern times, boxing was done bareknuckle or wearing these:

Make no mistake, we still did all the traditional stuff, e.g. Straight punches from the waist in a horse stance. All the basic blocking techniques, two-step self defense scenarios, and of course hyungs or kata if you will. And finally every kick in TSD was drilled into us. I'm 56 and was studying MA when Bruce Lee was still alive. I've read his book several times and adopted his philosophy into my martial arts when I was young. Now I'm older, MMA has evolved as well as some martial arts and I realized something, Bruce Lee was a showman and an OK martial artist. Nothing more. Too bad he never competed to see if JKD really worked for him. To me JKD is a label too. I never really cared for labels.
    So you trained JKD style but also did horse stances and chambered punches, and you don't like labels, and you still don't like JKD? Weird.

Posted On:
    5/15/2013 7:37pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    About 10 years ago I busted my hand and snapped a tendon in a fight and didn't even know it till I was in lockup and the officer asked if I needed a EMT to look at my hand. You would be amazed what adrenaline will do in a life or death situation. So I agree a little with the OP

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/15/2013 8:20pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You enjoy JKD and that's great. I enjoyed TSD and it WAS great for me. A martial art is only as good as the person who practices it. Who said that? I forget.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/16/2013 12:24am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw86 View Post
    About 10 years ago I busted my hand and snapped a tendon in a fight and didn't even know it till I was in lockup and the officer asked if I needed a EMT to look at my hand. You would be amazed what adrenaline will do in a life or death situation. So I agree a little with the OP
    Stings a bit huh?
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213