Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/28/2013 8:46am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Knives and Vampires defeat MMA in the Street.

Once again, another thread caused by the same thread that spawned The-Bee Jay Jay thread.

Same Krav nutrider argues MMA is ineffective, on the street, because OMG GOD KNIVES and RULES!!!! As he starts playing the "what if" goal post moving game, he dragged in rape statistics to prove why you should train Krav Maga. Of course, he asks about what would an MMAer do against knives, like that has NEVER happened. So, I start grabbing articles to disprove his crap. While searching, I find this article. It starts off okay and then goes down the toilet quickly.

[url]http://steroidjunkie.com/why-mma-is-not-always-the-ans
    Here I�m going to speak about the difference between MMA fighters, and real life fighters/fighting. I want to speak about the different ways of training and how to know what the correct way is to train for your goals.

To start off with, do you plan to compete in any form of cage fighting or any form of mixed martial arts? It doesn�t matter if it�s just locally, national, or even international� Do you plan to do this?

Or do you desire to raise your confidence? Perhaps you�ve been bullied in the past or had some hard experiences. Perhaps you�ve actually been attacked, or you just want to know you can defend a loved one? If this is the case than an MMA class isn�t necessarily the best thing for you. Continue reading to find out why.

While a top MMA athlete can defend himself and likely beat 90% of the guys out there who will fight/attack him, this does not make it the �ultimate form� and MMA does have some flaws, and for this reason I recommend a GOOD self-defence class, if taught by a MARTIAL ARTS expert.

Unfortunately, most of these self-proclaimed experts are obese, bald men who have no real way of teaching you anything, due to the fact that they don�t know anything. Their big call to fame is usually a bar fight they won while both individuals were heavily intoxicated. And believe me that bar fight that probably lasted 20 seconds was the hardest cardio session of their lives!

So where does this leave you? In a very hard place indeed. It genuinely is very hard to find a GOOD self-defence class. But below is a few things you want to look at if you are considering starting to learn martial arts.

You want to learn some basic weapons defence. Knives, guns, and the kata are good weapons to learn. Being able to disarm a knife is actually much harder than a gun. For example, let�s say someone is pointing a shot gun at you, you are capable of grabbing the gun in numerous positions to either disarm or put it into a position of being unable to blow a huge hole through you.

A knife, on the other hand, will usually involve you needing to grab hold of the foraerm, shoulder, or elbow in most cases. You will normally find when you go into a class numerous people grabbing the wooden knife fighting and removing it off their opponent. What they don�t realize, however, is was the knife real, their hand would now be slashed to pieces and they�d be looking at, at the very least at severe blood loss, if not death.

This is why it�s important to train often with the knife. You may do a take down to 20 different people, 10 of them might fall straight to the floor, another 2 might try fighting before you knock them down. 5 of them might be willing to allow their arm to break before letting go. 3 of them might try hitting you constantly with the other hand while fighting with the knife.

Out of the 10 people you knocked down, 3 might get up and run, 4 might get up to fight etc. You don�t know what�s going to happen and it�s important to learn the different variables that can happen in a fight.

The reason I recommend the kata is it�s such a good weapon to learn to defend against, it can be used in similar fashion to a baseball bat, a crow bar, a pool cue, a beer bottle etc. All weapons you could realistically end up going against some day.

Now I need to justify the criticism I gave MMA above. I love MMA, its extremely fun to do. The training is intense, and it also teaches you a lot of the basics, which is great. But does it teach you how to fight off a knife attack? Of course it doesn�t. That�s not what MMA Is about. Will it teach you to fight? Of course it will, but MMA is a sport. While a lot of it can transfer over into real life situations, there�s parts that don�t.

For example, a lot of MMA fighters tend to be grapplers who prefer to get on the floor and work in a submission. While this is all good and dandy, imagine fighting on the street in a realistic situation. You do a take down on someone (if you do it right you could cripple them, if not worse, since you are fighting on concrete) but let�s just say you don�t. You both land kind of soft and he holds onto you. You try to work in a submission or work out of his grip which you have become an expert at. You aren�t a good �stand up� fighter so you need it on the floor. During this time you have his friends kicking you or jumping in as they see you as an easier target due to the fact you are on the floor, or worse you end up rolling into broken glass or whatever else is on the floor.

My point is while MMA teaches some very good fighting techniques. It won�t make you the ultimate fighter in a real life situation. In fact, I have a story that actually backs this up. A while ago I was talking to a guy who was a GOOD fighter, he wasn�t the best in the world but he was good. He was now doing a lot more �real life� situations in his training but he was once a competitive MMA fighter. I asked him what changed. at first he gave me the explanation he wasn�t making enough money off of it but really loved doing it, but after a certain incident he decided he needed to change his fighting style.

What was the incident? He got into a fight in a bar. A typical scenario someone was getting loud and mouthy he attempted to ignore it before they grabbed him and threw a poor punch, after blocking the punch he dragged him to the floor mounted him, knowing the guy was unable to hit him back, and planned on putting him in a submission to calm him down, rather than smashing his face in. As he leant forward the guy stuck his teeth directly into his throat. Something you will never get in an MMA competition! Despite the fact he won, he realized he was unaware of �small� little things that can happen.

If I�m in a fight, I love throwing knees, elbows, do I care if I hit someone in the back of the head with a hammer fist? Of course I don�t, but that�s illegal in MMA. Do I care if I�m choking someone out and I shove my fingers in their eyes? No I don�t, nor does my opponent doing it to me.

If someone stands with his legs open and I can kick in the testicles I�d do it. Sure �the kick to the balls� is one of the most over rated way to take someone down. I�ve been kicked by guys who are extremely good at what they do and you know what? I�ve not even gone down. It hurts, yeah, but it�s not been enough to take me down. That�s why Thai kicks to joints matter. Shots to the kidneys, if you are in a fight you want to win as quickly as possible. Thats why you need to be aware of the numerous factors out there.

if you are grappling with someone and you shove a thumb to the eye so you can throw them down to the floor and smash their face in, then do it. Don�t just �stick to the rules.� I know plenty of kicks and different moves. But I can guarantee there�s a need to know different moves for different situations and sometimes you will need to fight dirty, Sure you might not need to fight dirty to win, but the less injury you sustain and the quicker the fight is over is what�s important.
    Rules, knives vampirism, eye gouge, and illegal techniques.
    tl;dr.

I understand, I highlighted the fun parts.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 4/28/2013 8:50am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2013 9:11am

Style: Shorin Ryu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by teh real
    h he dragged him to the floor mounted him, knowing the guy was unable to hit him back, and planned on putting him in a submission to calm him down, rather than smashing his face in. As he leant forward the guy stuck his teeth directly into his throat.
    I can never remember the name of that submission where you press your windpipe against you opponent's mouth. From mount.

Anyone? Bueller?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2013 9:19am

Style: Shorin Ryu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    also

also

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    4/28/2013 9:21am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow, talk about staying power. Who knew 1993's arguments against MMA would last for twenty years?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2013 9:29am

Style: Satanist and BJJ noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Reminds me of the time a friend got a bit lippy with a doorman when walking past a club so the doorman grabbed him and punched him in the throat. My mate actually laughed and then gave the rather confused gorilla a 10 minute lesson in how to apply a boshiken.

Anyone tried this one? :

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/28/2013 9:45am

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    NEVER EVER use FIGHT SCIENCE, SPORT SCIENCE or any of the unregulated douchey shows to prove ****.

Posted On:
    4/28/2013 10:15am

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    NEVER EVER use FIGHT SCIENCE, SPORT SCIENCE or any of the unregulated douchey shows to prove ****.
    Sticky please.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2013 10:42am

Style: Satanist and BJJ noob

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Doubtless...
    Looks like that guy is getting nailed pretty hard in the junk tho (could be a stunt crotch I guess) - just wondering if anyone trains nutfoo? Seems excessive... 5 years of taking low blows so you can wear ya dressing gown on TV.
    I was reading the BJJ thread on "should I wear/declare a cup" and my thinking was get used to nutshots and how to defend them au naturale.
    As for MMA being limited in the street... yeah right, like punching, kicking, takedowns and grappling are not applicable. Most good fighters I have come across don't have issues working outside the rules they train to when it comes to nhb situations, some relish the freedom tbh :) My errr.... slightly chavvy nephew was telling me how biting peoples faces is the in thing right now, like the badge of shame that used to be wearing a monday shiner in the good ole days.

Posted On:
    4/28/2013 11:44am

Style: Much striking, SAMBO, BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Iscape View Post
    Doubtless...
    Looks like that guy is getting nailed pretty hard in the junk tho (could be a stunt crotch I guess) - just wondering if anyone trains nutfoo? Seems excessive... 5 years of taking low blows so you can wear ya dressing gown on TV.
    I was reading the BJJ thread on "should I wear/declare a cup" and my thinking was get used to nutshots and how to defend them au naturale.
    As for MMA being limited in the street... yeah right, like punching, kicking, takedowns and grappling are not applicable. Most good fighters I have come across don't have issues working outside the rules they train to when it comes to nhb situations, some relish the freedom tbh :) My errr.... slightly chavvy nephew was telling me how biting peoples faces is the in thing right now, like the badge of shame that used to be wearing a monday shiner in the good ole days.
    Don't you have a video you're supposed to be posting?

Till then try shutting up.

Posted On:
    4/28/2013 12:27pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If we're going to get all weird and anectdotal, I'd just like to state something I've learned from personal experience and observation.

The best "street fighters" I know had formal training in a combat sport. Period. The more accomplished in their sport, the more effective they were on the street.

This goes for myself as well. I've never taken a "street fighting" class, but the normal "martial arts" traiing I've received and the conditioning (bag work, sparring and weights) are what gave me the ability to "be confident" and "handle myself".

The school of "spazztic berzerker noob flailing" is bullshit. I was one, then I trained, now I dominate them.

End of story.

Now, would some one please help me scatter these rusty steak knives and used needles on the ground. I need to pratice my break falls...
    Last edited by Mr. Machette; 4/28/2013 12:38pm at .
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast