Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/01/2013 2:20pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kalavic View Post
    I'm just going to reiterrate my main point. I don't think a "martial art" that can't raise your fighting ability higher than practicing something like rugby or shot put should be considered a martial art. WC falls below that in my experience. You should be able to eclipse your old self several times.
    Honestly if the wing chun you have learned gives you no advantage in a fight over a rugby or shot put competitor, you learned some fucked up ****. Even 5 year of TKD (as an adult) should give you some edge over a completely untrained person.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/01/2013 2:33pm

Style: Lung Ying Kung Fu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We used to have our classes in the parking lot behind my Sifu's restaurant. One day this guy noticed us practicing and he came over and started talking to us. He mentioned that he did Wing Chun. "That's cool" I said, trying to be friendly. I explained that we were doing Southern Dragon Style.

"Let me show you something" He said.

"Uhh okay." I said, smiling.

We touched our right arms in a bridge and he proceeded to try and bong sau to bypass the bridge. I was able to keep the bridge and he was unable to pass.

"See it's not working, he's not letting me get by him" He explained to the other students who were watching.

I just kept a smile on my face to keep it friendly.

He pretty much just walked away after that and went inside to get some food.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    5/01/2013 3:15pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DimmedSum View Post
    We used to have our classes in the parking lot behind my Sifu's restaurant. One day this guy noticed us practicing and he came over and started talking to us. He mentioned that he did Wing Chun. "That's cool" I said, trying to be friendly. I explained that we were doing Southern Dragon Style.

We touched our right arms in a bridge and he proceeded to try and bong sau to bypass the bridge. I was able to keep the bridge and he was unable to pass.

"See it's not working, he's not letting me get by him" He explained to the other students who were watching.

/facepalm

1) Using a reference point is for demonstration & familiarization only, not drilling or fighting.

2) He tried to bong sau you from reference point? Are you sure you're using the right terms?

/facepalm

1) Using a reference point is for demonstration & familiarization only, not drilling or fighting.

2) He tried to bong sau you from reference point? Are you sure you're using the right terms?

Posted On:
    5/01/2013 6:27pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We used to have our classes in the parking lot...
    Whut?

Things happen in parking lots?

Posted On:
    5/01/2013 7:11pm

Style: Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!

He tried to bung sau you? Is that a euphemism for something?
    "We often joke -- and we really wish it were a joke -- that you will only encounter two basic problems with your 'self-defense' training.
    1) That it doesn't work
    2) That it does work"
    -Animal MacYoung

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/01/2013 8:56pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander View Post
    /facepalm

I believe so, if I understand the chun bong sau correctly. He chicken winged his right elbow bringing it up and at the same time he shifted his feet so he was at a 45 angle to my left. I matched his footwork so our centerlines maintained alignment and kept my right arm loose, yet maintained the "sticky" concept to keep the bridge. He tried a few times and was unable to pass or break the bridge. I believe he was trying to pass so that he could go in and attack.

We were not fighting, he was trying to demonstrate a technique, which failed.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/01/2013 9:00pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vieux Normand View Post
    Whut?

Things happen in parking lots?
    Great things happen in parking lots (remember the nunchuk master in the food lion parking lot?)

My teacher has 2 restaurants and usually works 14 hours a day. We practiced behind the restaurant and in the adjacent park which is part of his land.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/01/2013 9:33pm

supporting member
     Style: Tang Soo Don't Retired

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll bet he makes some delicious food at his restaurant.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/02/2013 5:52am

Style: wing chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon View Post
    You care about the wrong thing.

No one here cares whether other people could beat you up. Or could beat up every chunner in existence. What we are concerned with is how you are assessing yourself. If you base your assessment of your ability off of some in class sparring and a couple of scuffles with untrained people on the street then that's fine, but don't think that's a reliable estimate by which to start assigning numerical values to your skill level.

There are environments designed to test that sort of thing for you. Tournaments, MMA promotions, that sort of thing. Which will put you into a controlled and variable limited environment so that you can see how you perform under a reliable and mostly reproducible set of conditions.

Until you've done a few of those then you don't really have a basis for an assessment. It would, to use your analogy, be like assigning yourself a Chess Elo based on some practice matches you played against some friends, and half a dozen games played against random people in the park that barely knew how to play Chess.

What you need to do is to start competing in some competitions that have rulesets that are friendly to your technique library. Muay Thai tends to allow almost infinite clinching from what I've seen, so you should have no trouble working the inside range. And they allow kicks and upper body throws. So that's a decent mix of techniques without any groundwork to mess with. Go compete in 10 or so MT ammy fights and you'll know how you stand up against people from other striking backgrounds.

Doing anything else is just silly time wasting. No one cares how well you chun against other chunners, or what you think about other martial arts. If you didn't think the chun would work you would be training something else. So go out there and test it to the best of your ability and find out how well it works.
    I really get what you're saying. People here are just very skeptical once someone starts saying how good they think they are without a reliable way to back it up. It's worth mentioning that I said 'estimate' in place of something like 'assign' or 'award' x number of points. I also never mentioned chun vs chunner performance as translating to the fighting scale. I meant it in about the way you said you'd be around the 20% if you went to a MMA atmosphere. It's not like you were trying to rate how good you were, just illustrating the loss you would expect to suffer by changing venues.

Since I was mostly trying to illustrate that I was worse than people who had made the same time investment in different martial arts, I didn't consider it necessary to determine the exact figure. Continuing your chess comparison, if I played a couple 30 minute games with someone, that'd probably be enough for me to guess someones approximate rating within 100 points so long as he was reasonably close to me. If they'd never competed with clocks before, I'd subtract another 100-200 points for nerves. If they weren't used to playing games over an hour, I'd take off another 100-200 points. Maybe I'd be off, someone else could probably give a more accurate one, but if the guy was going into his first tournament, I could give him some reasonable advice of which division would best suit him. That's all I was intending to do when I put a number by my name.

BTW, a chess match means a contest between two players consisting of a seriesof games, not a single rated game which is what ratings are based on. There also event performance ratings, which would be based off of a whole match, but they're a different thing. Just semantics, I understood what you meant.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/02/2013 6:18am

Style: wing chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    Honestly if the wing chun you have learned gives you no advantage in a fight over a rugby or shot put competitor, you learned some fucked up ****. Even 5 year of TKD (as an adult) should give you some edge over a completely untrained person.
    I don't think most 5 year TKD practitioners would have a reasonable advantage over a 5 year rugby guy. It's pretty hard to stop a strong guy from tackling you.

It comes down to being able to pose threats balanced with how well you can cover all your bases. I think that WC can give you the strong advantage over someone who doesn't practice any sport regularly, just not enough to eclipse people in sports that aren't martial arts.
Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 45678 910111218 ... LastLast