Our Sponsors:

Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 34567 89101117 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/01/2013 12:40pm

Style: wing chun

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You know, screw it. Forget my sparring with martial artists who do compete competitively. I know I can proficiently beat unskilled martial artists, because I've knocked out and choked out people people I knew nothing about who have tried to jump me, without getting a bloody nose or black eye. That would put me at least 1400. But that's just the thing I wanted to avoid so as not to piss everybody off by trying to portray myself as a badass. The fact that I was placing myself, a wing chunnist, low to illustrate much worse I am compared to people who have trained in other martials and how much work I've had to do to get where I'm at is just amusing.

Do I love wing chun. Yes, I do. Do I understand it's limitations? Yes, I do. How do I know that? Not because I fought and beat people with little martial art skill, but because I've sparred with people who know their **** to some level. Am I a competitor? No. Did I claim to be? No. Did I say anyone at competition level could kick my ass? Yes. And still everyone is so intent on infering that I'm trying to impress someone?

I'm just going to reiterrate my main point. I don't think a "martial art" that can't raise your fighting ability higher than practicing something like rugby or shot put should be considered a martial art. WC falls below that in my experience. You should be able to eclipse your old self several times.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    5/01/2013 12:42pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This what I keep telling motherfuckers, but the Chundanistas and the people who hate on Chun.

There is good Chun. It's not the be all and end all that Chundanistas claim it is, but there is good, close range, trapboxing out there. I have seen it. I have seen it for years, since I was a young man watching my first leitai tournament.

The same goes for every other damn system of CMA. When I first joined Bullshido, I did not get the CMA hate. I had grown up associating CMA with leitai, for that it was CMA is in Baltimore. I knew there was flower CMA, and these people using got their asses handed to them by actual Chinese boxers. However, Bullshido's judgements of the breadth of CMA based on the flower & brocade fighters was foreign to me. I didn't understand when Bullies would say "But that's not kung fu" when they saw videos of a Hung stylist competing in full contact, merely because he didn't look flowery. Jet Li will be the first to admit he is not a Chinese boxer.

Then I learned that an inestimable average of CMA practitioners do not train as Chinese boxers, and that this exponentially increased when their style was Wing Chun.

The leitai has been the traditional proving ground of CMA for hundreds of years. Chundanistas, if you want to prove your system, shut the **** up, stop posting on forums, train as Chinese boxers, and fucking step on the stage.

This what I keep telling motherfuckers, but the Chundanistas and the people who hate on Chun.

There is good Chun. It's not the be all and end all that Chundanistas claim it is, but there is good, close range, trapboxing out there. I have seen it. I have seen it for years, since I was a young man watching my first leitai tournament.

The same goes for every other damn system of CMA. When I first joined Bullshido, I did not get the CMA hate. I had grown up associating CMA with leitai, for that it was CMA is in Baltimore. I knew there was flower CMA, and these people using got their asses handed to them by actual Chinese boxers. However, Bullshido's judgements of the breadth of CMA based on the flower & brocade fighters was foreign to me. I didn't understand when Bullies would say "But that's not kung fu" when they saw videos of a Hung stylist competing in full contact, merely because he didn't look flowery. Jet Li will be the first to admit he is not a Chinese boxer.

Then I learned that an inestimable average of CMA practitioners do not train as Chinese boxers, and that this exponentially increased when their style was Wing Chun.

The leitai has been the traditional proving ground of CMA for hundreds of years. Chundanistas, if you want to prove your system, shut the **** up, stop posting on forums, train as Chinese boxers, and fucking step on the stage.

heaven sent and hell bent but weapons clenched and well kept

Posted On:
    5/01/2013 12:59pm

supporting member
     Style: 

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kalavic View Post
    That would put me at least 1400. But that's just the thing I wanted to avoid so as not to piss everybody off by trying to portray myself as a badass.
    That's your problem. If you didn't want to portray yourself, don't arbitrarily assign yourself a score at all. That's just foolish.

While you're at it, stop making up percentages of good and bad wing chun. You don't know what the hell you're talking about.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/01/2013 1:07pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The real issue is he is trying to get us to approve the chun. That's why I brought up 2007. That's why southpaw's chun rant is in a sticky thread. That's why this thread is in YMAS now instead of the CMA forum.

The tiers have been set, why do we need another bar?

1% Spar, compete and modify their chun to suit the task, like EVERY other art, unlike Kovacs earlier statement.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 5/01/2013 1:32pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/01/2013 1:30pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    The real issue is he is trying to get us to approve the chun. That's why I brought up 2007. That's why southpaw's chun rant is in a sticky thread. That's why this thread is in YMAS now instead of the CMA forum.

1% Spar, compete and modify their chun to suit the task. Like EVERY other art, unlike Kovacs earlier statement.
    Fake, you sure got me figured out. You clever guy:)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/01/2013 1:32pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post

1% Spar, compete and modify their chun to suit the task. Like EVERY other art, unlike Kovacs earlier statement.
    Say that I know that other martial artists could beat me up, killer strategy to get people to start <3ing WC.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/01/2013 1:35pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If 1% is a killer strategy, to get anybody to train, then you need your head examined.

Posted On:
    5/01/2013 1:48pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am at a lose here. Why would anyone want to play those odds. If only 1% is good and that good being no better than other arts good why even bother? Why wouldn't you go with the higher % arts? Ones that have decent quality control and proven interdisciplinary effectiveness?
    What is so damn special about Wing Chun that makes it worth the hassle? What makes you end up with such a school girl crush on it?
    I simply don't get it.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    5/01/2013 1:49pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kalavic View Post
    Say that I know that other martial artists could beat me up, killer strategy to get people to start <3ing WC.
    You care about the wrong thing.

No one here cares whether other people could beat you up. Or could beat up every chunner in existence. What we are concerned with is how you are assessing yourself. If you base your assessment of your ability off of some in class sparring and a couple of scuffles with untrained people on the street then that's fine, but don't think that's a reliable estimate by which to start assigning numerical values to your skill level.

There are environments designed to test that sort of thing for you. Tournaments, MMA promotions, that sort of thing. Which will put you into a controlled and variable limited environment so that you can see how you perform under a reliable and mostly reproducible set of conditions.

Until you've done a few of those then you don't really have a basis for an assessment. It would, to use your analogy, be like assigning yourself a Chess Elo based on some practice matches you played against some friends, and half a dozen games played against random people in the park that barely knew how to play Chess.

What you need to do is to start competing in some competitions that have rulesets that are friendly to your technique library. Muay Thai tends to allow almost infinite clinching from what I've seen, so you should have no trouble working the inside range. And they allow kicks and upper body throws. So that's a decent mix of techniques without any groundwork to mess with. Go compete in 10 or so MT ammy fights and you'll know how you stand up against people from other striking backgrounds.

Doing anything else is just silly time wasting. No one cares how well you chun against other chunners, or what you think about other martial arts. If you didn't think the chun would work you would be training something else. So go out there and test it to the best of your ability and find out how well it works.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/01/2013 2:04pm

staff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    I am at a lose here. Why would anyone want to play those odds. If only 1% is good and that good being no better than other arts good why even bother? Why wouldn't you go with the higher % arts? Ones that have decent quality control and proven interdisciplinary effectiveness?
    What is so damn special about Wing Chun that makes it worth the hassle? What makes you end up with such a school girl crush on it?
    I simply don't get it.
    RPGs.
Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 34567 89101117 ... LastLast