Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/01/2013 3:05am

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kalavic View Post
    This is just funny. Why does my chess strength even matter? Do you want to see videos of me playing chess?
    Wait, so....he uses your own analogy against you and you fail to understand his point?

Wow.

Posted On:
    5/01/2013 3:15am

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    .... Google elo if you're interested...
    Hahaha, you're an arrogant and illiterate asshole.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/01/2013 3:24am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is just funny. Why does my chess strength even matter? Do you want to see videos of me playing chess?
    Your particular chess strength doesn't matter. Kintanon's point was that there is a standardized system for gauging proficiency in chess. You arbitrarily lifted that system and are trying to impose it on an area where it doesn't apply and ranking yourself solely on your own limited perspective. You might as well list the times posted in the last Olympics' hundred yard dash and declare yourself a silver-medal level dish washer.
    Last edited by dougguod; 5/01/2013 3:27am at .

Welterweight

Posted On:
    5/01/2013 5:52am

supporting member
     Style: Taiji/Hsingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Q:Is It Even Possible To Define Bad Wing Chun/ Ving Tsun?

A: Why do you even want to? The sample size is huge, its an excercise in redundancy. Who cares anyway.

Now if you were to start a thread saying you had found GOOD WingChun that would be something new.

Posted On:
    5/01/2013 6:54am

Style: BJJ/Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    An allegedly 300 year old system and Chunners still don't know how to define what's good/band in their system?
    Quote Originally Posted by Newb1 View Post

B) I could not beat a Judoka with Aikido. I could only beat an Aikidoka with Aikido. I thought that was understook.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    5/01/2013 7:55am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The rating system is an indicator of how well a pool of people perform against each other in a specific event. My translating directly to fighting is very rough as any pool of contestents will define their own rating distribution. There's no upward limit, so for fighting it could end up 4000, which wouldmake sense as there are move factors in fighting than chess. Anyhow the pool for fighting I figured was on on a completely open, minimal rules, full contact fight against someone in your weightclass. Google elo if you're interested. I think sambo uses one btw.

My 2000 rating is for chess and I know that's what it is, because I got it by performing against rated players. I estimated myself a more modest 1600 for fighting. I based it on how well I perform in mid and full contact sparring people with various martial art experience. My cousin-in-law is a life-long sambo practitioner, and he can waste me every time. Of my Judo friends I have a strong advantage over the beginners, but the guy my size who has been doing it for several years can beat me at judo every time. When we go full contact I have an advantage over him, but he has strong threats so gets me about a third of the time. Against my friend with several years of kickboxing experience, he can out-box me, but not by enough that I'm not a threat, but I used to be able to beat him every time by taking it to the ground. Now it's a lot harder to take him down. You get the idea. It's just a matter of making friends with various martial artists, learning what you can from them when you can. I could be off, but it's a basic guesstimate.

WC vs. WC would have it's own separate rating system, but once they go in the open I think any plain vanilla WCist wouldn't perform above the 1400 level. I think that's not good enough to be considered a martial art because you could get the same advantage by rugby or shotput.

So if you're about halfway through your purple belt, i'm figuring someone someone who's been doing WC for 20 years but nothing else wouldn't have much threat against you, and he wouldn't have a chance against anyone else who would be a threat to you either.
    You somehow managed to completely miss the point of my reply, as can be demonstrated by your other two posts after this one.

I will break it down into simpler parts for you:
    Chess Elo is determined by Chess Matches.
    Fighting Elo is determined by F_______ M______.

Fill in the blanks. You have assigned yourself an Elo without actually doing any placement matches. That's not how it works. Additionally, you can't give your self an Elo in Chess based on your ability to play checkers.

I don't mind using Elo to measure performance, it's actually pretty well suited to the task since we're talking about a 1v1 sport, but you can't crossover Elo from one section to another. Wing Chun is not Boxing is not Judo is not MMA. You could be the worlds best chunner and still get beat by every Judo scrub in the world.

So, if you would like to use Elo to measure performance first we have to pick the venue. If we're talking about full contact mixed rules minimum restriction matches then our best analogue is MMA matches. Since neither one of us has had an officially sanctioned MMA match we are both UNRATED/UNRANKED.

So, no, you do not have a 1600 Elo at fighting.

Posted On:
    5/01/2013 9:50am

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay, time to **** up the thread (even more).

Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon View Post
    Fill in the blanks.
    Those can be awesome fun. I was teaching a beginner ESL class, filling in for a friend about a year or so ago, and was using an NBA-themed fill-in-the-blanks exercise as a cool-down after a test.

There were, among others, M _ _ _ _ Heat, Bost_ _ Cel _ _ _ s and then my favourite:

Denver N _ gge _ s.

That last one got some real outrage from parents and a school administrator who thought I was teaching racist epithets.

Suffice to say, when called onto the carpet, my intro was
    "Nugget, please..."

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    5/01/2013 10:13am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's how to define good Wing Chun.

1) Come to Baltimore.
    2) Fight on the leitai.
    3) Win.
    4) ?!?!?

:)

Posted On:
    5/01/2013 10:30am

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you've noticed, I haven't been giving any martial art advice, so my estimation of my own strength really isn't important, especially being as it isn't especially strong. What's the big deal?
    Sparring isn't fighting, but fighting is fighting.

The actual rough equivalent to your chess rating, is somebody's fight record. That's the martial version of a "rated" player. Someone who has voluntarily entered into competition.

I've sparred some talented fighters (people who have fights, not just sparring) in the past. That I wasn't totally squashed into paste had much more, I'm sure, to do with their restraint, than my "rating". Sparring is a fantastic gauge of ability, but fight records are the rating.

That's where the variables are stripped away, in order to rate/rank/showdown talent/ability.

Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander View Post
    Here's how to define good Wing Chun.

1) Come to Baltimore.
    2) Fight on the leitai.
    3) Win.
    4) ?!?!?
    THIS^^^ [/thread]
    Last edited by bobyclumsyninja; 5/01/2013 10:34am at . Reason: Der nailz it

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    5/01/2013 10:31am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not saying to lower it, but to make a second lower bar to have 3 groups: bad wing chun 30%, wing chun 69%, and martial art wing chun 1%.
    ^ this kind of post is what we call 100% worthless.

Fake was right, slap yourself. Do it right now. Demons, be gone!
Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 23456 7891016 ... LastLast