Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1234 567814 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/30/2013 12:56am

Style: wing chun

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Why talk about lowering the bar? Sorry, that's stupid and led to the problems you are trying to rehash.
    I'm not saying to lower it, but to make a second lower bar to have 3 groups: bad wing chun 30%, wing chun 69%, and martial art wing chun 1%.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/30/2013 1:02am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have seen actual WC places that fail to even teach WC. They show a few principles, show some techniques and waste time on theoretical application nonsense. The students have terrible wing chun, by any standard, as a result.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/30/2013 1:38am

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kalavic View Post
    I'm not saying to lower it, but to make a second lower bar to have 3 groups: bad wing chun 30%, wing chun 69%, and martial art wing chun 1%.
    Read this again, very slowly, then slap yourself in the mouth.
    Why talk about lowering the bar? Sorry, that's stupid and led to the problems you are trying to rehash.

Posted On:
    4/30/2013 1:48am

Style: Kettles (MA hiatus).

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My thoughts exactly! When someone asks me if they should do wingchun, I say something like:

If you want to, go for it. Just spend your time DOING wing chun AGAINST wing chun and KNOW that it's just wing chun. Don't waste your time with hypothetical nonsense about how it's going to perform against something else. If you want to actually be able to use it, you're probably on your own unless you strike lightning and find a place that actually does real fighting, in which case, tell me.
    In that case you should just tell them not to do WC and to find something that works properly.
    "Won't fight me in the ring? Don't fight me on the street."
    Paraphrased from Bullshido.

"You can't judge Martial Arts until you feel the joy of kicking someone in the face and not go to prison for it."
    Mrs Kovacs.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/30/2013 2:06am

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Let me spell out my obvious post. You just said you didn't want to lower the bar and promptly followed that with "make a second lower bar."

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/30/2013 8:49am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, I do not agree with southpaw. Wing Chun isn't about being a tough mother fucker for it to work effectively. It's about training like a tough mother fucker.
    That's kind of what I was trying to say but you said it better.

:)

Posted On:
    4/30/2013 10:11am

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you have to run away from the basic principles of a martial art to make it effective outside of its own bubble, then it's not worth doing at all IMO. Other arts directly work, without hardly any, if any, modification.

You don't have to relearn Judo throws to throw someone who doesn't know Judo.
    You don't have to modify boxing combos to ding up a guy who doesn't box.
    You don't have to redesign wrestling to wrestle around a guy without a leotard on.
    You can slap an armbar on a no0b, with good sub grappling, as you'd learned.
    Thai clinch and knees work when you need them, even if the other guy has never heard of MT.

You get the idea. It's a bonus in these other arts/combat sports, if the other guy doesn't know it. If you look at the chun, it never works so well, as when they are both avid chunners. That says something, IMO.

If the martial arts are taken to be about safety (your own), it's critical IMO to avoid putting ANYTHING in there in your muscle memory that can impair that safety.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    4/30/2013 10:16am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My JKD sifu has extensive Wing Chun experience as well as Chen Taiji experience.

We've changed the way we do the straight blast due to the Chen influence. The only thing I can compare it to would be to say it seems more Xingyi like.

My JKD sifu has extensive Wing Chun experience as well as Chen Taiji experience.

We've changed the way we do the straight blast due to the Chen influence. The only thing I can compare it to would be to say it seems more Xingyi like.

If your mentality is Wing Chun vs. Boxing, you have already failed...because Wing Chun is supposed to be a school of boxing.

Fucktards.

If your mentality is Wing Chun vs. Boxing, you have already failed...because Wing Chun is supposed to be a school of boxing.

Fucktards.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/30/2013 10:38am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Let me spell out my obvious post. You just said you didn't want to lower the bar and promptly followed that with "make a second lower bar."
    Let me spell out your last two posts:

Troll.

Lowering 'the' bar = one bar being made easier.
    Adding 'an' additional bar place lower = defining a new subcategory which already exists.
    (They have different meanings.)

Never thought I'd have to explain definite/indefinite article usage to a native speaker. Who knew? That's the last time I'll adress one of your posts unless it contains relevant content.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    4/30/2013 10:51am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Stop using the bar analogy, it's not meaning what you want it to mean.

You want a different category of Wing Chun (Why is completely beyond me) that includes... I dunno, some words you used that don't mean anything.

All Wing Chun that doesn't involve actually fighting is bad. Yay! Thread over!
Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1234 567814 ... LastLast