Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/29/2013 9:42am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What JNP said.

Basically...as a martial art...I define good wing chun as the ability to win a fight against even a partially trained opponent.

I rarely see good wing chun.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    4/29/2013 10:13am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    What JNP said.

Basically...as a martial art...I define good wing chun as the ability to win a fight against even a partially trained opponent.

I've seen it in full contact on the leitai...occassionally.

Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    What JNP said.

I've seen it in full contact on the leitai...occassionally.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/29/2013 10:24am

Style: wing chun

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    You are posting like it is 2007....oh.... wait...nevermind.
    I see your point:) In all fairness, I have read a lot of the work on the site done by you on similar questions. I am much obliged. Here's the thing though: everyone always evades answering what wing chun is. Like you said in Southpaw's thread: it's buried in 15 threads, and I'm trying to approach it from another angle to get some productive answers.

There's plenty that everyone agrees on, that any martial art needs to have the martial part in it, which means aliveness in sparring to keep it real. I hear that, I got that back in 2007, and even before that. That it can't and shouldn't look like it's coming out of a demo or movie, also no news to anyone. But there has to be some kind of identity.

Let's take yoga as an example. This isn't a martial art, but it can have a great positive influence on your fighting. It's also full of wu. Nobody gives it a hard time though, because nobody makes claims about it as a fighting system. It can be easily defined and graded against itself as good or bad in a way that isn't directly related to fighting ability. Likewise you could have a "good" fighter who has absolutely terrible yoga.

I think making a similar distinction with wing chun is in order. I don't really consider it a true martial art, rather an art with martial aspects in it. That doesn't mean that you can't have a great martial artist who is a wing chun guy. And a wing chun MARTIAL ART school should teach how to fight.

I really value my training in wing chun. It has literally saved my ass in some self defense situations. But the thing is, I put in a lot of work beyond what was done in class to make it applicable. I also had some experience in wrestling, karate, boxing and different styles of kung fu, which, although very limited, had a big influence. I'm nothing awesome, but I was able to take what I had learned from my sifus and form it into something cohesive enough to get me at a level to have a clear advantage over your average joe. All of the chunners I respect have had to go through a similar process. I have some sambo, judo, and boxing friends who never even took an interest in self-defense but theirs works "out of the box."

The way I see it, it has plenty of value, but it needs to be viewed in the right perpective. If you put the fight effectivity goggles on a less than effective martial art, you essentially just erase that martial art. Anyone serious who realizes there are more effective martial arts will avoid it. Sound familiar?

Posted On:
    4/29/2013 12:30pm

Style: Kettles (MA hiatus).

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How does it have value when it needs several types of different arts to supplement it to an effective level? It's begs the question of why bother with it in the first place.
    "Won't fight me in the ring? Don't fight me on the street."
    Paraphrased from Bullshido.

"You can't judge Martial Arts until you feel the joy of kicking someone in the face and not go to prison for it."
    Mrs Kovacs.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    4/29/2013 12:46pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kalavic View Post
    I see your point:) In all fairness, I have read a lot of the work on the site done by you on similar questions. I am much obliged. Here's the thing though: everyone always evades answering what wing chun is. Like you said in Southpaw's thread: it's buried in 15 threads, and I'm trying to approach it from another angle to get some productive answers.

There's plenty that everyone agrees on, that any martial art needs to have the martial part in it, which means aliveness in sparring to keep it real. I hear that, I got that back in 2007, and even before that. That it can't and shouldn't look like it's coming out of a demo or movie, also no news to anyone. But there has to be some kind of identity.

Let's take yoga as an example. This isn't a martial art, but it can have a great positive influence on your fighting. It's also full of wu. Nobody gives it a hard time though, because nobody makes claims about it as a fighting system. It can be easily defined and graded against itself as good or bad in a way that isn't directly related to fighting ability. Likewise you could have a "good" fighter who has absolutely terrible yoga.

I think making a similar distinction with wing chun is in order. I don't really consider it a true martial art, rather an art with martial aspects in it. That doesn't mean that you can't have a great martial artist who is a wing chun guy. And a wing chun MARTIAL ART school should teach how to fight.

I really value my training in wing chun. It has literally saved my ass in some self defense situations. But the thing is, I put in a lot of work beyond what was done in class to make it applicable. I also had some experience in wrestling, karate, boxing and different styles of kung fu, which, although very limited, had a big influence. I'm nothing awesome, but I was able to take what I had learned from my sifus and form it into something cohesive enough to get me at a level to have a clear advantage over your average joe. All of the chunners I respect have had to go through a similar process. I have some sambo, judo, and boxing friends who never even took an interest in self-defense but theirs works "out of the box."

The way I see it, it has plenty of value, but it needs to be viewed in the right perpective. If you put the fight effectivity goggles on a less than effective martial art, you essentially just erase that martial art. Anyone serious who realizes there are more effective martial arts will avoid it. Sound familiar?
    Are essays like this symptomatic of good or bad wing chun?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/29/2013 1:14pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not sure I agree with this...and I'm not sure what you mean by "more effective martial arts..." Are you saying that there are more efficient ways to learn to be effective at fighting? If that's your point...then I do agree.

Look...wing chun is a victim of itself. Like any martial art that isn't regularly tested in a full-contact competitive nature...it's going to be sketchy when you try to use it in real life (if you don't recreate the pressure testing that naturally comes with competition).

The challenge with Wing Chun is that not very many people can handle and stick to the type of training that is required to make it applicable and functional. This isn't a positive aspect of wing chun BTW. The fact that you need to be inherently tough to train it enough to make it work really limits the 'global' and overall effectiveness of (your average) wing chun (fighter).

So...yes it's a martial art. Yes it can be useful and effective. Yes if you are a successful wing chun fighter...you probably would have been a bad ass (insert any martial art here) fighter.

Not sure what my point is...but I am obligated to respond to any wing chun thread per my lifetime commitment to adding logic to wing chun fallacies.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    4/29/2013 3:39pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Dihydral planes.

Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Dihydral planes.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/29/2013 3:47pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Did you just pull the "true martial art" trope? Stop it.

Posted On:
    4/29/2013 4:59pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's also full of wu.

Wuuuuuuuuu are you?

Wu-wu, wu-wu.

Thread is now a crime scene.

:)

Posted On:
    4/29/2013 8:58pm

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vieux Normand View Post

Wuuuuuuuuu are you?

Wu-wu, wu-wu.

Thread is now a crime scene.
    That song had the only **** allowed on Rock radio for the longest (AFAIK). What a win!
    The way I see it, it has plenty of value, but it needs to be viewed in the right perpective. If you put the fight effectivity goggles on a less than effective martial art, you essentially just erase that martial art.
    Yes. Consumers that are looking for safety (in this case, through a system to teach them hand-to-hand combat) SHOULD ditch the shitty for the less shitty, or downright-free-of-****-at-all.

If a door lock doesn't work unless you have three other locks, and those locks alone would match the impact resistance (?!? :) of all four combined...what the flick does anyone need that lock for? Why pay for it? Why even put it on your door if it was free?

Wouldn't it get in the way? Possibly it could be confusing in an emergency. If used alone it could give a false sense of security. It doesn't seem to add anything, and doesn't even ping a cost-benefit analysis (unless you just like to masturbate to a bunch of superfluous metal on your door, in which case ok).

If you have to ditch most of it to make it work (and that IS the case with WC/VT/???), why bother?

We have finite lifespans, so why go for an expensive millionth-best, with all there is to offer?

Don't ask what's good about it, and instead recognize that there's less right with it, proportionately, than so many other martial arts, that you are chasing the pot with bottom pair and a pathetic kicker (if you'll pardon the poker analogy, on top of the door-lock analogy).
Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast