Posted On:
    5/13/2013 8:19am

Style: Jeet Kune Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by baby_cart View Post
    you're filipina?

you consider yourself a pinay?

are you in the philippines? you somewhere around alabang?
    No...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/13/2013 8:22am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by atheistmantis View Post
    I'll go out on the proverbial limb. IMHO JKD is weak. WC is weaker still. I would choose a seasoned street fighter over either of these styles period. You got that Stay Guapa 95? You're young and don't really know anything yet. Stop showing your ass,it's embarrassing.
    I'll go out on a proverbial limb.

IMO, your posting is week. You have nothing to contribute to the conversation, so you just want to join the gang attacks on me.

Stop being an ass, it's childish.

Quote Originally Posted by BJMills View Post
    Forget all that nonsense. Are you hot?
    Are you rich?

:)

Posted On:
    5/13/2013 9:28am

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wingchunx2z View Post
    I define bad wing chun based on the technique's adherence to the universal principles of the art. If the person is muscling in a trap it's bad wing chun. (no force on force)

If he does a spinning hook kick and lands and knocks the guy out, it's bad wing chun. Effective technique maybe, but bad wing chun. (High spinning kicks are generally not part of the art. Some wing chun styles do include them, but to me personally they are not part of the system. )

If he rotates his shoulders and tries to half knietic link on his chain punches, it's bad wing chun. ect. (Mid range power and power generation using the whole body's spatial position)

These kind of principles are how I define bad wing chun. I'd say the same for boxing. Lots of mma fighters use looping overhand shots with thier hands down and chin up adn get knock outs. I'd still consider that bad technical boxing as it violates one of the basic principles of what makes boxing work. (Hit accurately without getting hit back by keeping your elbows tight on the rotation and having your shoulder guard your chin.)
    Is there a point at which good wing chun overlaps with good fighting?

MMA fighters don't use pure boxing, because boxing was designed for boxing. MMA strikes are modified. Good boxing form could be considered poor mma form, and vice versa.

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    5/13/2013 9:39am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by StayGuapa95 View Post
    Forget all that nonsense. Are you hot?
    Are you rich?

Quote Originally Posted by bobyclumsyninja View Post
    The point of impact.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/13/2013 10:32am

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bobyclumsyninja View Post

MMA fighters don't use pure boxing, because boxing was designed for boxing. MMA strikes are modified. Good boxing form could be considered poor mma form, and vice versa.
    I'd agree with this. It's an interesting point, but it's also a bit more complex than that. MMA striking isn't really a style of striking so much as a specific environment which lends itself well towards a certain approach. There are various methods of striking that have all been successful in mma. Clay guida's striking style is quite different from Matt Sera's which is also quite different from Anderson Silva. Their approach and the arts they use to deliver it vary considerably.

Thusfar, the closest I've seen to wing chun style attacks being used in MMA would be nick diaz's stockton slap style boxing, and Jon Jones reaching out and sticking to his opponent's arm before whipping out and landing a shot.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/13/2013 10:51am

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kovacs View Post
    I know Wrabbit had just asked this but really!??
    For me personally, I don't really like muay thai or boxings answers for defense in a non padded environment. The easiest example is the defense to the body kick. The first option is of course to circle off and not be there making them miss you. Doing this on a real person is quite difficult and not possible if there's not enough room to move around. The blocking method therefore is to tuck in your elbow and basically let the kick hit your arm instead of your ribs. You see this theme all throughout muay thai and boxing. If you can't dodge it let it hit something else that will hurt less.

One of the pro's for this method of defense is that it's much quicker. It's takes comparatively less skill and time to move your arm a few inches and absorb a shot then it does to reach your arm out and intercept the punch or stop kick the opponent's kick.

Kintanon and I had a discussion on this a few years ago and he surmised that it was the only realistic approach as it took "spiderman like reflexes" to counter an opponent the way wing chun teaches.

When you're both padded up though you have a mouth piece to bit on and help absorb impact. You can shell up and eat punches on your forearm and elbows and it's not that big of a deal with gloves on. I find shelling defenses become much less usefull even with the drop to smaller mma gloves.

Defense in a real situation is probably my biggest problem, but as for offense. I'll admit that Boxing and muay thai will hit much harder than my current wing chun style. However, I'm much more adaptable and I hit much more often.

From my experience I'd use boxing in a fight where I wanted to toy around with my opponent in a large environment where I could move around and use angles. I'd use leg kicks to reduce mobility as most people are not used to being kicked that hard in that nerve, but again most likely only if the situation were fairly passive.

To end it quickly I'd use wing chun. Why? because wing chun especially against an unskilled opponent is to me the quickest and simplest way to end the fight. Simultaneous attack and defense, blocking and hitting in one motion and attacking down the center line is still my preferred attack strategy.

The weakness of this strategy is that it leaves my head open to counter attack as both arms are out in space. It's SAFER in a sport environment against more skilled fighters to use a boxing guard, but the payoff using wing chun would be to end the fight much quicker if wing chun works as it should the first combination he throws should be countered at nearly every punch.

And there's your wingchunx2z wall of text. now aren't you sorry you asked? :)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/13/2013 11:02am

Style: Muay Thai/Wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by StayGuapa95 View Post

Are you rich?
    Yes, but I don't date chunners.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/13/2013 12:37pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't either.

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    5/13/2013 12:42pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You date wrestlers then? Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/13/2013 2:29pm

Style: Muay Thai/Wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    You date wrestlers then? Not that there's anything wrong with that.
    Mud wrestlers. Oil wrestlers. Jello wrestlers...

Why yes! I do!
Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91516171819 20212223 ... LastLast