Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    5/03/2013 3:51pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreykil View Post
    This is just a first impression (and correct me if I'm wrong) but... most of you guys aren't overly-impressed with Wing Chun, right? :P

I admit - I've never tested Wing Chun against another martial art in sparring, though I'd be happy to try. I've no problem with people poking holes in my conceptions with their fists as well as with their keyboards. If what I've been training is essentially crap self defence, I'd rather find out sooner than later.

I have actually trained Wing Chun fairly seriously, and did pick it up pretty quickly. Yes, I've heard many times that ground-fighting disciplines like BJJ are much faster and easier in learning to apply some really effective 'bread and butter' moves; I don't dispute this. I'd like to try BJJ too someday.

I agree there's a big difference between applying a series of chain punches effectively in a real fight and drilling them in repetitive routines. I've had taster sessions at some sloppy Wing Chun schools, all lackadaisical repetitions of forms and drills, completely neglecting any kind of physical conditioning or improvised sparring.

Some things I can say for sure: if you train Wing Chun properly, you can hit fast and surprisingly hard with chain punches, I've had this demonstrated on me and found out myself (by accident). My Sifu asked me to hold two sparring pads against my chest, one on top of the other. He then punched the pads from roughly 3 inches away. It really hurt (and I suspect he wasn't really trying). Admittedly, my Sifu was extremely fit and strong, and had trained for years. I found out I myself could hit effectively with chain punches when, one day, my drilling partner had a brain-fart and paused instead of blocked. I hit him with my first punch then managed to pull the rest... he staggered, his eyes watered and blood ran from his nose. This suggests to me that I was doing something right?

I moved house fairly recently and there are no Wing Chun schools in my area, but there's a boxing gym, so I'll probably join that and get into boxing again. I'll also try to find a reasonably-skilled boxer who's happy to spar their boxing vs my Wing Chun, and see how it goes. If I find a sparring partner, and they expose my training as crap, I'll crawl back here on all fours and beg forgiveness, particularly from those of you who have anger management problems ;-)
    Have you read a single fucking thing I have posted, you dense ****?!?

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/03/2013 4:11pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Posted On:
    5/03/2013 7:07pm

Style: BBT/BJJ/CJKD

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What's with all the Chun hate, guiz? I just saw Iron Man take out multiple terrorists with his mad Chun skillz, and he wasn't even armored-up half the time.

What's next? Ninja hate?

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    5/03/2013 7:12pm

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Robert Downey on the set training Chun etc.:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/03/2013 9:00pm

supporting member
     Style: Tang Soo Don't Retired

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Certainly a jest. We are talking about a film so I will assume so.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    5/03/2013 9:55pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SmH View Post
    You seem to assume iwas actually being serious while discussing the masturbation habits of 13 year olds. I wasn't.
    I can't believe you responded to my post. Let me ask you something, what kind of moron would not understand that you were making a joke post? I knew what you meant, but the fact remains that while even Psycho Dad's comment was relevant to the thread, yours veered off into Never Never Land.

Instead of taking my gentle hint to heart, you chose to assume I was stupid enough to take your post literally.

Your post was nothing to do with the thread topic or with martial arts. While that may be okay in Boff Topic or Trollshido, your post was so completely off topic that I decided to mention it. Then you decided to be an asshole and respond.

You know what? I'm a bigger asshole. Next time, take the hint gobshite.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/03/2013 10:23pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I will with my apologies. The brain is spot on and at times not so. My life is quite frustrating but I soldier on with hope.

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    5/03/2013 10:34pm

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by atheistmantis View Post
    Certainly a jest. We are talking about a film so I will assume so.
    He probably trains harder than you or I do.

:)

Posted On:
    5/04/2013 1:01am

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Firstly: Welcome to bullshido Dreykil. Nice to have you here.

Secondly: If you go to a boxing gym, most likely until they know you're not a spaz, you'll be training combos and getting your cardio up for a while with classes before you spar. This is a good thing. It will save you a horrific ass beating.

You could go in to the open sparring, and find a boxer who'd gladly go at it, but you'll be sorry.

If you go to classes, you'll build an actual striking foundation, and realize without a hideous pulverizing why boxers punch like they do, and why it works the best for hands oriented standup.

MMA striking is a little different, as strikes in small gloves need smaller windows through the guard, to land, and the fingers are free to grab. The need to sprawl means a slightly different stance, and fear of takedowns means you can't lean into your strikes or overshoot them, like boxers sometimes do.

Let me assure you though, if you can bang out an hour of hand drills in 1lb (16oz) gloves in 3 minute increments a couple of times a week, you can sure as **** do one hell of a lot better than the best chainpunches anyone ever did ever in history.

There is footwork involved in every strike. This includes the jab. Until you get this down, you are below haymakers if you've been training some triangle stance nonsense.

As you are learning these things, and grinding it out, getting your jab-cross, jab-cross-hook, jab-cross-hook-hook, jab-cross-hook-hook-uppercut, uppercut-left hook-right cross etc etc into your muscle memory and engraved into your instinctive reactions, the very idea of pushing little punches out with your arm muscles without engaging the hips, lowering your weight, turning on the balls of the feet, tucking your chin a bit, and returning your gloves to your face will seem absurd.

Once you even hold the pads for someone who can spit out their combos, you'll realize how futile it is to imagine you can intercept punch 1 and counter, before the 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc punches land on your exposed face. Not only that, but they'll be doing it with the added weight of hand wraps, and gloves on their extremities. Imagine the speed without, once you witness the speed/power of someone competent with.

There's no time for all that ****.

Many many longtime posters on BS were once deluded about the martial arts. There's no shame in it, or if there is, it's shared broadly enough that it's ok once you realize. I used to do forms in the air, toe kicks and silly **** and think I could fight. It wasn't until I went to a kickboxing gym, and got my ass handed, that I started to get it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreykil View Post
    I admit - I've never tested Wing Chun against another martial art in sparring, though I'd be happy to try.
    If you had, you might already be posting about your boxing/bjj/kickboxing/sambo training , and laughing at the chun.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/04/2013 1:18am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Check it out. Bobby clumsy ninja said all you need to investigate. So get to steppin.
Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 41011121314 15161718 ... LastLast