Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Style
    Bartitsu
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

"Why Bartitsu is for everyone" - an editorial essay from the Bartitsu Society

http://www.bartitsu.org/index.php/20...-for-everyone/

A politely blistering refutation of the idea that the Bartitsu revival could be co-opted by bigots.

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not sure why a bigot would want to claim a mixed heritage art anyway. Although I could see the PC crowd arguing cultural appropriation over it for all eternity. I'm actually surprised that martial arts(Asian styles) haven't been more under fire from the SJW's as cultural appropriation when used by white guys.

Style
    HEMA
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Somehow I've managed to miss the whole racism in western martial arts discussion.

Only racist I've seen was a borderline neo-nazi who joined an online group I confounded. He linked to his own group about preserving white culture and on his own page I saw he posted some some stuff about how "coincidently" a lot of the media was run by jews. He never outright stated anything racist but it's pretty transparent what he believes.

I don't want politics involved in the group whatsoever. I just don't want to hear it whether they're an SJW, a neonazi or even someone I agree with. so I just told him to shut up about politics while he's in my group, be civil and we shouldn't have a problem. He seems to be behaving himself so far.

Only other incident I've heard about was my instructor had a couple of skin heads turn up at his club when he started but they were sent packing before they even got their feet in the door.

Style
    Shotokan, Kickboxing
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You had me at the name. It has bar tits and u in it, it speaks to me.

Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    I'm not sure why a bigot would want to claim a mixed heritage art anyway. Although I could see the PC crowd arguing cultural appropriation over it for all eternity. I'm actually surprised that martial arts(Asian styles) haven't been more under fire from the SJW's as cultural appropriation when used by white guys.
    Dude don't give the SJW's ideas. I like my BJJ, and don't want to hear a bunch of people telling me I'm too pale to practice it.

Style
    BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tzadok View Post
    Dude don't give the SJW's ideas. I like my BJJ, and don't want to hear a bunch of people telling me I'm too pale to practice it.
    They can stop by during open mat and I can appropriate their backs.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wouldn't worry too much, it's not like martial arts in general have any one place of origin. Besides the gracies like their income so they would be the first to tell the SJW'S to **** off.

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kendamu View Post
    They can stop by during open mat and I can appropriate their backs.
    all that would do is allow them to play "victim" better.

Style
    BJJ, FMA
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like my BJJ, and don't want to hear a bunch of people telling me I'm too pale to practice it.
    Oh how Ironic that would be
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Style
    Bartitsu
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A very mindful retort to the notion of "cultural appropriation": https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...-a-passing-fad

Page 1 of 2 12 Last