Sponsored Links Spacer Image

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    5/07/2013 3:41pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    That being said there maybe? a situation where you need to finish the fight and move on real quick such as with multiple opponents or something? Can a human do enough damage with a nasty bite say to jugular to cause fight ending damage?
    This article is worth reading regarding what biting can do:
    http://jmanly.ejmas.com/articles/200..._gorn_0401.htm

Probably the most well-researched thing about biting when fighting, with 83 references at the end. Anyway, starting way back in the 1700s, there were unarmed combat fights in the Old South where gouging and biting were the preferred method of combat (some were called "boxing matches" but that was a front). The article talks about fighting with emphasis on maximum disfigurement. Biting was used to remove protruding or loose flesh from the face. From the article:

Some allegedly filed their teeth to bite off an enemy's appendages more efficiently. Still, liberating an eyeball quickly became a fighter's surest route to victory and his most prestigious accomplishment. To this end, celebrated heroes fired their fingernails hard, honed them sharp, and oiled them slick. "'You have come off badly this time, I doubt?'" declared an alarmed passerby on seeing the piteous condition of a renowned fighter. "'Have I,' says he triumphantly, shewing from his pocket at the same time an eye, which he had extracted during the combat, and preserved for a trophy."
    When an attempt at a formal duel aborted, Savannah politician Robert Watkins and United States Senator James Jackson resorted to gouging. Jackson bit Watson's finger to save his eye. [EN17] Similarly, when a "low fellow who pretends to gentility" insulted a distinguished doctor, the gentleman responded with a proper challenge. "He had scarcely uttered these words, before the other flew at him, and in an instant turned his eye out of the socket, and while it hung upon his cheek, the fellow was barbarous enough to endeavor to pluck it entirely out."
    The Virginian quickly recovered, seized the Kentuckian's lower lip in his teeth, and ripped it down over his enemy's chin. This was enough: "The Kentuckyan at length gave out, on which the people carried off the victor, and he preferring a triumph to a doctor, who came to cicatrize his face, suffered himself to be chaired round the ground as the champion of the times, and the first rougher-and-tumbler.
    in 1821, Ohio passed a law against gouging out eyes, biting off facial parts, and so forth.
    A Florida grand jury member watched outside the courthouse as his son fought another boy. Not yet a decade old, the youngster received some manly advice when the battle ended: "Now you little devil, if you catch him down again bite him, chaw his lip or you never'll be a man." Henry Benjamin Whipple, as quoted in John Hope Franklin, The Militant South (Cambridge, Mass., 1956), 11-12.
    "In Davidson County, North Carolina, a drunken young mountaineer named William Tippett had bitten off a large piece of old Arthur Newsome's chin, almost plucked out his left eye, and grasped Newsome's right eye with his other hand. A witness at the tavern scene reported that Tipett -felt the eyeball slip around his fingers,'
    So it seems there was a period in our history that showed biting can be an effective means to ruin someone's face. Is it a fight ender? Well if someone bit me and it didn't take all the fight out of me, it would be more accurately called a "fight starter".

Posted On:
    5/07/2013 3:54pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Holy crap that is some nasty stuff

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    5/07/2013 4:04pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah its pretty gnar, but it was also a time and place where people still had sword duels over matters of honor. Swordfighting has a certain noble romanticism to lots of people but a good saber wound is nastier than a mean bite. By The Sword by Richard Cohen has an old black and white pic of a saber duel in the south where one man's head is cut clean off.

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    5/07/2013 4:16pm

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The human bite is, as Der put it, a weapon of last resort.

It is certainly able to cause damage, more than most people believe: http://news.discovery.com/human/evol...human-bite.htm

It also involves putting your head in a very disadvantageous position, something most smart fighters would avoid anyway unless they had no other options.

Posted On:
    5/07/2013 5:59pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Does everyone forget about this guy so quickly?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/07/2013 6:17pm

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    Does everyone forget about this guy so quickly?

Melton Bowen of UFC 4 fame beat his ass:

http://larrybrownsports.com/everythi...-eugene/139694

Incidentally, one of the guys fighting in an an upcoming PitFighting regional qualifier is a gouger, a man by the name of Rick Champoux. From what I heard he has a collection of three hundred-something lower lips that he bit off his opponents fighting up and down the backwoods of the United States. He loves Rough-and-Tumble so much that he apparently set up a makeshift fight club in New Orleans during Hurricane Katrina. Snagged himself several pocketfuls of noses when all was said and done. They called him the Face Looter.

He's an early favorite to take the whole show once the eight-man tournament gets underway.

Posted On:
    5/07/2013 11:19pm

Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    Point of order here.

How good/bad of an idea is biting in a fight?

Isn't there serious concerns of blood borne illness transmission with biting?

Don't get me wrong in a life or death situation do whatever you absolutely whatever you have to do being sick is better than dead I suppose. At what point do you think one needs to cross that threshold in a fight?
    What technique would you consider it to be a reasonable defence to?

Biting from dominant position is highest pecentage. But hardly fits in with life or death.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Posted On:
    5/07/2013 11:52pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregaquaman View Post
    What technique would you consider it to be a reasonable defence to?

Biting from dominant position is highest pecentage. But hardly fits in with life or death.
    This is definitely a damn good question and in part is what I am asking myself. I am sure though there are probably scenarios where it may be a good idea.

I am just going to spit ball this on out but maybe in a situation where a weapon is involved. Like a knife. Maybe you have your hands occupied with keeping the knife controlled and want to end the fight before you lose control and bite that mother fucker.

I have no idea if that is even a good idea or not.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/08/2013 5:26am

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!

C.E. B.S.net Ambassador

Posted On:
    5/08/2013 5:46am

supporting member
     Style: (Beautiful) Spring Roll

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    What did I just watch?

CLICK & WATCH
    :
    I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

"Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid **** back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
    " - by Vorpal
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 41011121314 15 LastLast