Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123 456 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2013 9:46am

Style: Holiday Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ah, I get you now. When you said P Company I thought you was a serving member going for the all arms training.

Still wish you good luck and I'm sure you'll get many well deserved thanks for supporting a great cause.

Posted On:
    4/28/2013 10:45am

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkPhoenix View Post
    What do you recommend for trainers? I have a pair of Under Armour and a par of Merrells, but neither seem to work well for me. I tried running in my LPCs (Converse CM8994) and they were slightly better, but running in boots isn't necessary for someone like me any more.
    None of those companies make running shoes that are worth a damn. I can't recommend a specific shoe; you should go to a good specialty running store and get fitted. Brands runners use include Brooks, Mizuno, Asics, Adidas, New Balance, Saucony. I like Brooks and New Balance because many of their shoes come in multiple widths. I have a wide forefoot and a narrow heel plus I pronate a bit, and it took a couple of hours to find the right shoe.

ETA: you are in NY, probably a Running Room near you. Thought you were UK when you wrote "trainers".
    Last edited by NeilG; 4/28/2013 10:48am at .

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    4/28/2013 11:22am

staff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by scipio View Post
    Good no - it's the Para's 10 Tab they open up to civies each year.

http://www.paras10.com/pcoy-challenge.php
    Ahem...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	67859_10151354658072256_1677051918_n.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	20.3 KB 
ID:	14762
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Posted On:
    4/28/2013 12:11pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I note from the results that a high proportion of entrants beat the 1:50 goal. Not that tough, or are there just a lot of really fit entrants? I confess I have no idea how tough doing a slow trail 10 miler in boots and pack is.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    4/28/2013 12:15pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    I note from the results that a high proportion of entrants beat the 1:50 goal. Not that tough, or are there just a lot of really fit entrants? I confess I have no idea how tough doing a slow cross-country 10 miler in boots and pack is.
    The course was used to select parachute regiment candidates, their weights were 40lb and they were required to complete the course in under 2 hours (1.50 I think) There's a high percentage of entrants who are current serving airborne and former or retired Paras.

There's some exceptional athletes who run this event.

~Ella Wheeler

Posted On:
    4/28/2013 12:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Ape View Post
    The course was used to select parachute regiment candidates, their weights were 40lb and they were required to complete the course in under 2 hours (1.50 I think) There's a high percentage of entrants who are current serving airborne and former or retired Paras.

There's some exceptional athletes who run this event.
    Gotcha, the civvies are running the course with the guys who are trying to get selected, so it is going to skew faster than you'd expect. I'd probably puke a lung out trying that.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    4/28/2013 12:25pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    Gotcha, the civvies are running the course with the guys who are trying to get selected, so it is going to skew faster than you'd expect. I'd probably puke a lung out trying that.
    Negative mate, there's no one on selection when these events are run, this is purely a fund raising endeavor for military charities including ParaCharity.

They're just using this course because it's a freaking hard test of one's enduro fitness

~Ella Wheeler

Posted On:
    4/29/2013 3:05pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Ape View Post
    As in Depot Para?.

All arms course or Parachute Regiment?

Eitherway fucking good luck mate. That's one **** of a course.
    Minor point. A work colleague when he was Royal Yeomanry as civ clerk had passed 21 SAS (V) selection but decided it wasn't for him - he didn't feel too comfortable in small group - and he did Royal Marines etc and took that in his stride. He eventually moved to 10 (V) PARA, again as civ clerk, and they tried to persuade him to do the training so he could go with them to Germany on Exercise. Anyway, eventually he agreed and said he'd done P Company, adding that he "wouldn't do THAT again". The salient point is that he physically shook - completely involuntary - so it had seared itself into his Memory.

So Good Luck to scipio. Remember, you can fail but still Pass. Just make sure that when you're on the ground, make sure you're unconscious. If you refuse and you're still standing, they take a dim view.

One bloke who used to work for me was ex-WO1 Depot PARA. Originally, he'd started out as 9 PARA Sqn RE. Anyway, when he did the Log Race, apparently he'd Passed Out and was dragged around the Course. He'd Passed cos he hadn't refused, he'd gone on until he'd collapsed. And that's OK ;-)
    Last edited by Eddie Hardon; 4/29/2013 3:07pm at . Reason: typo

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/30/2013 4:57am

Style: Karate

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks Guys. It's the Catterick one we are doing. We are aiming to get it done within 1 hour 50. At the moment we have a wide range of ages - some of us (myself included) in the late forties and a couple of whippersnappers in their 30's.

We tried to get a group last year but we found the problem was that loads of people said "yeah count me in" but when the reality of putting a load of training in with a forty pound pack we had loads of drop outs.

Yours truly

Posted On:
    5/01/2013 12:39am

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I stopped running like 6 months ago. I need to start again.
    When i have any weight, it hurts my legs. More specifically, the big tendon running down below my right knee gets inflammed like crazy. Do I run through that ****? or tone it down?
    www.pdsrifles.com Add us on facebook!
    Parts and Accessories
    Law Enforcement Firearms
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123 456 LastLast