Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Style
    Fitness first
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Recommendations: budget canvas pants

I'm looking for some low-cost canvas pants for working out. Tired of $50 synthetics; I'm basically hoping to find cheap Gi pants suitable for exercise in a wide range-of-motion, without having to withstand contact MA practice.

I've been able to find some dirt-cheap ones online (as low as $14 a pair), but it's often hard to tell whether they're really suited for even calisthenic exercise. The cheapest items appear to be relaxed day-wear stuff from China, and I fear the inseam will split during stretches, squats, et cetera.

I've considered just picking up some sweatpants, but I live in a balmy climate and am just a sweaty dude as it is. Something similar to Gi pants or the pants I see Capoeira practitioners wear would be great.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why not just use gi pants? Several reputable manufacturers sell pants separate from tops. They would be cotton, not necessarily canvas, but there are light-weight options in that space.

(edit) if you're on a budget, there's a Facebook group dedicated to resale of old gis.

Style
    Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you want gi pants, there is always: http://www.justgipants.com/

If you just want freedom of movement and to keep your junk cool while not spending much, you can try some "Thai fishermans' pants".
    They are not very durable but they are cheap as dirt and very comfortable.
    Bonus: Yoga chicks tend to dig them.

Style
    Fitness first
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    submessenger: I have considered that, but it didn't seem feasible for me financially. Do you have any links to that Facebook group? I failed to find them, but might look for similar groups elsewhere as well.

ChengPingFi: Seems like a solid deal on the justgipants website, but the Thai fisherman's pants are really interesting. Have you ever used them, and if so how did the wrap hold up during exercise? If they can get through a minute of bodyweight squats and one of high knees before retying, they might be the ticket for me. Might even at least pick up one pair to impress the yoga chicks.

Style
    Fitness first
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    submessenger: I did consider that, but it doesn't seem financially feasible. I figured I might be able to find something similar but with a lower quality (doesn't have to be grappling or even striking levels of durable) that I could buy several of and have my workout pants for the week set. I failed to find that group in a brief search, do you have any names/links? I'll look for similar groups before purchasing regardless, thanks for the advice.

ChengPengFi: justgipants seems like a decent deal, but I'm really interested in those Thai fisherman's pants. I found pairs for $20 no problem, and a (somewhat dubious) eBay seller for $10. Have you ever used them, and do you think the wrap would hold up under say high knees and squats as opposed to Yoga and Tai Chi?

Regardless, I might pick up a pair just for lounging and the yoga chicks.

Style
    Fitness first
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ... Shoot, how do I edit/delete posts? My bad, I assumed after awhile that I hadn't submitted the first response and so wrote the second. My bad, guys.

Style
    MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ....Is there a reason why you specifically want long pants? Given your desire for range of motion in the legs and reduced warmth, you may want to investigate the time-honored tradition of shorts.
    Failing that, if you want to look like a yogi, just wear yoga pants. They're absurdly cheap and absurdly comfortable.
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Redmajician View Post
    ... Shoot, how do I edit/delete posts? My bad, I assumed after awhile that I hadn't submitted the first response and so wrote the second. My bad, guys.
    For a short period of time, you can edit your post - there will be an "Edit Post" button towards the bottom right. Don't sweat the duplicate post thing, too much. It happens to all of us, from time to time. Best option is to just edit it when you see it and put (duplicate, sorry). Deleting posts is at admin discretion.

Style
    Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Redmajician View Post

ChengPingFi: Seems like a solid deal on the justgipants website, but the Thai fisherman's pants are really interesting. Have you ever used them, and if so how did the wrap hold up during exercise? If they can get through a minute of bodyweight squats and one of high knees before retying, they might be the ticket for me. Might even at least pick up one pair to impress the yoga chicks.
    As long as they fit properly they should not bind or come off.
    The material is very thin however.
    I have a couple pairs and find them very free and comfortable.

Style
    Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw View Post
    ....Is there a reason why you specifically want long pants? Given your desire for range of motion in the legs and reduced warmth, you may want to investigate the time-honored tradition of shorts.
    Failing that, if you want to look like a yogi, just wear yoga pants. They're absurdly cheap and absurdly comfortable.

Adding the term "yoga" to a pair of pants almost automatically doubles the retail price.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last