Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Somewhere between a baguettte and a croissant
    Style
    Yoseikan Budo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

How to prevent hand injuries?

Godd day fellas, I got a question for you

What should I do to prevent hand injuries aside from tapping them? I'm a musician and it would be kinda annoying not to play my instrument because of an injury I could avoid by doing the right things. Massage? Cold/Hot water after the training?

EDIT : I train in Yoseikan, which imply both striking and grappling, but no weapons training for me
    Last edited by Karish; 10/18/2016 2:44pm at .

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What are you training? (I imagine the answer might differ between stick fighting, judo/bjj, or a striking-only art.)

Style
    street paddleboarding
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For striking, it seems like sprained wrists are far more common than broken metacarpals, at least at the amateur level. So, spend the time developing good alignment of the wrist etc by striking pads, bags etc. Wear bag gloves at a bare minimum and don't hit as hard as possible with every shot.

For weapon sparring, wear sturdy gloves that offer thumb protection. When leading with your weapon hand, keep it a moving target.

For grappling, it seems like getting fingers caught in the gi is the main danger. Some tape their fingers together to protect them. Not my area of experience though.

In kickboxing, you may mess up your wrists doing intuitive downward blocks against round kicks. This is a bad habit and should be discouraged for other reasons as well. Tuck your elbow with the fist up instead.

Style
    Yoseikan Budo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Morik View Post
    What are you training? (I imagine the answer might differ between stick fighting, judo/bjj, or a striking-only art.)
    Post edited, i should have added that, I train in yoseikan budo, so both striking and grappling, even though the grappling does not imply a firm grip to the gi like in judo

Style
    Yoseikan Budo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post

In kickboxing, you may mess up your wrists doing intuitive downward blocks against round kicks. This is a bad habit and should be discouraged for other reasons as well. Tuck your elbow with the fist up instead.
    That's actually a good advice, but you mentionned other reasons not to do that. Could you tell me more if you don't mind?

Style
    BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Depending on what your school and competitions allow, I would recommend going with the standard 180" cotton wrap. Make sure to get between each finger, and get a good 3-4 wraps around the proximal phalanges (that's lower knuckles, for you knuckleheads).

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Karish View Post
    That's actually a good advice, but you mentionned other reasons not to do that. Could you tell me more if you don't mind?
    I think I know where Permalost is going with this. That protruding bone from your wrist is prone to fracture, especially when hit full force with a shin. Using your elbow to block distributes the force over larger area, and more and stronger bones.

(edit) there are probably tactical advantages, as well, but I've been out of the striking game for quite a while, now, so hopefully somebody will step up and illustrate them.

Style
    Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you reach down to block lower kicks you're just asking to get kicked in the head.
    That's kind of like straight-arming someone who has you mounted.

Prevention will go much further than anything.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are sport mitts that will cover your palms. You can just use bandages for your fingers. It all depends on the sport that your practice. Turn to the specialized sports shops that will be of great help to you.

Style
    TKD/ BJJ/Kickboxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So I get pins and needles in my boxing and kickboxing cardio classes about 30 minutes in. I also take 3 class two days of the week and two on Saturday. My wraps aren't very tight but no matter what I do pins and needles. Guessing nothing I can do about the hurt knuckles with that volume of punching.
    Fu Hung Hsieh remains Fu Hung Hsieh and Kung-tzu Yu remains Kung-tzu Yu.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last