Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/22/2013 11:33pm

Style: KK

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Run!!!!! Seriously, run.

Disclaimer: shirtless man below

So, two years ago (say, Spring of 2011 I could run about a half a mile before my shins and lower back would stop me in my tracks. I thought I just couldn't run because I wasn't in my teens anymore or something. At this point, I'd been practicing Kyokushin for about 6 months after 4 and a half years of Aikijutsu, and had actually competed once in KK(see my comp footage if you want to see my big ass get owned in that one). Through Kyokushin a couple times a week, I was becoming stronger, but my otherwise sedentary habits and poor diet were keeping me overweight with terrible endurance.

Skip a few months ahead to Labor Day weekend of 2011, and I'm on a week and a half trip that I planned around being able to come to the Mega in Boston. But, before Boston was Cape Cod for 3 days, where THIS picture was taken:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fat me.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	24.8 KB 
ID:	14727

I look like my late grandpa Jack. This was the picture which started a long process (my shifts always take time) of change for myself. I was looking at this trip pic about 6 months later (my shape hadn't improved much), and decided I really needed to try running again. I have two good friends who run, and they'd been trying to get me started. The first time I went out, I found that the added strength from Kyokushin allowed me to now go a bit without my legs and back failing me, so I started forcing myself to run. To further motivate myself, I entered myself into the local annual Warrior Dash August of 2012, so I knew I had to at least be in good enough shape for that.

Anyway, over the Summer and into last Winter, my shape started to change, to where I was holding around 202 lbs, instead of the 220 I was carrying in the picture. I certainly felt better, but mostly, I started to LIKE running. Leading up to this years' northwest Kyokushin tournament, I decided I'd actually take a run at under 180 lb, to try to go down to middleweight. I'm 32 at this point, and the last time I was under 180, I was probably 19 or so. I decided to increase my running to about 15-20 miles a week and adapt a personal version of Tim Ferris' "slow carb" diet (I'm sure you can google it).

And......I made it. Weighed in night before the tournament at 178.9.

Name:  Skinny me.jpg
Views: 605
Size:  46.8 KB

Now, I seem to be holding around 186 (which is what I want), and I feel better than I have in quite a long time.

The point is.....run!!! Learn to love it (you will, if you keep on it). Also, you can absolutely find ways to eat stuff which fills you up, but doesn't slowly kill you.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    4/23/2013 1:53am

staff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Running is fucking awesome.

Nice one mate.
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    4/23/2013 2:19am

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Awesome story; keep up the good work.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/23/2013 2:43am

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well done – similar story for me from about 5-6 years, long commute to work and long working hours which resulted in very little exercise. I knew I was out of shape when I went back to karate and almost barfed on the warm up. Running was a key part of getting back into shape, first month was a struggle but after that I loved it. I’m doing my first half marathons this year.

Posted On:
    4/23/2013 2:49am

Style: Kettles (MA hiatus).

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good work fella.

When I would run regularly I'd listen to podcasts and audio books etc so that I could learn **** and lose weight and get fit.

There's always time to run.
    "Won't fight me in the ring? Don't fight me on the street."
    Paraphrased from Bullshido.

"You can't judge Martial Arts until you feel the joy of kicking someone in the face and not go to prison for it."
    Mrs Kovacs.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/23/2013 4:40am

Style: Holiday Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Going through a similar scenario now. Judo once a week didn't really highlight just how unfit I had become. Started BJJ as a supplement and I thought I was going to puke my ring piece up. And I could barely see my penis.

Running rocks and well done on the weight loss mate.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/23/2013 7:12am

Style: Karate

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cake of Doom View Post
    Going through a similar scenario now. Judo once a week didn't really highlight just how unfit I had become. Started BJJ as a supplement and I thought I was going to puke my ring piece up. And I could barely see my penis.

Running rocks and well done on the weight loss mate.
    Good link I've posted here before:
    http://www.bupa.co.uk/running/traini...ng-programmes/

I used these programs before to get fit and they are excellent. Covers programs for 5km to Marathons. I used them a few years ago to get back into shape.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/23/2013 8:26am

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Congrats on your success!

Congrats on your success!
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Posted On:
    4/23/2013 9:05am

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well done. Also a runner here and really enjoying it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/23/2013 9:15am

Style: KK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by scipio View Post
    Well done – similar story for me from about 5-6 years, long commute to work and long working hours which resulted in very little exercise. I knew I was out of shape when I went back to karate and almost barfed on the warm up. Running was a key part of getting back into shape, first month was a struggle but after that I loved it. I’m doing my first half marathons this year.
    Nice! Actually yeah, I have a feeling I will probably do a half marathon this year as well. A few have been proposed by my friends.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast