Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    9/25/2008 11:51pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Read this before posting in this forum

This forum is heavily moderated because it's purpose is to serve as an information resource for intermediate and advanced grapplers.

If your question involves asking how to perform a technique, post it in the Basic Technique forum. If you're asking how to refine a technique you can perform already, then it belongs in here, the Advanced Grappling Discussion forum, or AGD.

General comments like, "I'm just a beginner in grappling, but I too find the spider guard useful.", or "Good job!" will be removed as they add little technical information.

Rules:

1. Stay on topic. Note that I have listed this rule first. I've deleted some of my own posts in this forum because they were not pertinent. If you make an off topic post, I will delete it.

Tangents are fine, provided they are related to the original subject manner in some way. For example, during a discussion of a technique someone brings up a MMA fight in which the technique was performed and a discussion of the fight ensues.

2. We are here to discuss intermediate and advanced grappling techniques and strategies.

3. Tournament and seminar announcements are also acceptable. Comments in the tournament thread will not be moderated as heavily to encourage more discussion.

The following should always be included when listing a seminar.

1. Date and time.
    2. Name of location along with a physical address. Include the state/region.
    3. Name of instructor(s) and a brief list of their qualifications.
    4. Cost of seminar.
    5. Class scheduling with descriptions of the different classes offered.

Threads about basic grappling do not belong in this forum. The Basic Technique forum exists for you to ask questions regarding basic technique. Some examples of basic technique questions are; "How do I improve my triangle?", "How do I break grips" or if you begin your thread with the statement, "I've only been grappling for six months but . . .".

4. If you have any doubts, or you're at the beginner level in grappling, you should probably send me a private message with your idea before you post a thread in Advanced Grappling.
    Last edited by jnp; 5/11/2013 8:10am at .

Knock-off Cthulhu

Posted On:
    9/26/2008 12:52am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So basically DHS should be pretty much limited to those with BJJ blue belt (and above) or equivalent experience in submission grappling?

I'll see you in a year.
    Curiosity killed the cat. But damn it had a blast.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    9/26/2008 9:45am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No. Technique questions that can be answered in one minute by an instructor don't warrant discussion in DHS. That's really the criteria that should inform whether your post belongs in DHS or gitmo.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    9/26/2008 10:29am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My vision for this forum is one that contains pure content. Off topic commentary like, "And I thought my style was bad." or "Dude that's classic!" that contribute nothing productive to the subject under discussion will be deleted.

Image macros contribute nothing besides marginal humor value. I have nothing against them personally, but they're to low on content to keep around.

There are plenty of forums on this site for e-horseplay. This is not one of them.

Humor is fine as long as it doesn't derail the thread too much. Certain posters, like Omega, have more latitude than you do. The higher your skill level in grappling, the more lee way you have in this forum. This is not done for nepotistic reasons. It's done because it encourages the more competent grapplers to post here.

Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa
    No. Technique questions that can be answered in one minute by an instructor don't warrant discussion in DHS. That's really the criteria that should inform whether your post belongs in DHS or gitmo.
    Exactly.

The more specific your question, the more likely it belongs in DHS. "How can I break top guy's posture more effectively before performing type x star sweep?" is a good example of this. "Can someone tell me how to do the star sweep?" is a question that belongs in Guantanamo Bay.

Can a white belt ask a question that belongs in DHS? Of course. Ultimately, I don't care what it says in your style field or how much grappling experience you have. What I care about is filling this forum with useful, high content material so that it continues to be a valuable resource for intermediate and advanced grapplers. So keep it topical or don't bother to post.
    Last edited by jnp; 9/26/2008 10:45am at .

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    10/13/2008 12:03pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sticky updated. Please see item #4 at top.
    Shut the hell up and train.

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    10/13/2008 2:06pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So do we have to run all DHS thread ideas by you or just if we're unsure?

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    10/13/2008 3:32pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Razamataz
    So do we have to run all DHS thread ideas by you or just if we're unsure?
    Of course not. What am I, Napoleon? Item number four is directed at grapplers on the cusp of being at the intermediate level.

I'll say it again, louder, IF you have any doubts, or you're at the beginner level in grappling, you should probably private message me before you post a thread in DHS.

Submitting 1d6 Investigators per round

Posted On:
    10/13/2008 3:39pm

supporting member
     Style: ZHOO ZHITSU

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Frankly if you have any doubts or you're new in grappling, you should probably just put it right into Guantanamo rather than pestering jnp, since 95% of the time that's where it belongs anyway.
    Undisputed KING OF ASSHOLES.

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    10/13/2008 3:58pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp
    What am I, Napoleon? .
    I assumed that was what you were going for.

Frankly if you have any doubts or you're new in grappling, you should probably just put it right into Guantanamo rather than pestering jnp, since 95% of the time that's where it belongs anyway.
    That's what I though.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/19/2008 9:28pm

Style: Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just had a thought on this subject. I don't claim to be a rocket surgeon or genius of the internets (okay, maybe I've claimed the latter on occasion), but I think the majority of the misplaced posts might be avoided if DHS appeared lower on the list of forums than Guantanamo Bay. I think noobs and sticky-avoiders are posting their grappling questions in the first grappling forum they see, obviously ignoring the stickies.

Sometimes the solution to a problem is simple and elegant. Sometimes I'm wrong. It's up to you to decide which is the case here.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast