Page 7 of 8 First ... 345678 Last
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In my youth, I had many tussles with cougars. I used many techniques I learned from watching videos. Sometimes the cougar was on top, sometimes I was on top. Sometimes I took the cougar from behind. But I'm proud to say I always walked away from these encounters and have no scars to show.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Its just like watching the 1st UFC.
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by theAsthmatic View Post
    I had a rather odd argument with some friends at a bar, so I thought I would posit it here.

Scenario: You are hiking in the mountains, completely alone without weapons and suddenly, a gigantic mountain lion attacks you from the bushes. Which martial art would you most rather have in your arsenal at this point.

I think grappling should be automatically disqualified, because really, who wants to grapple a mountain lion? It will bite your face off. I am going with Monkey Kung Fu for the sheer intimidation value as it may scare the cat off.
    I choose USPSA-style pistol competition so you can draw your .45 as quickly as possible and shoot him right in the noggin.

Without weapons? Your best bet would be to give the cat a good kick. Maybe your training should be punting a football?

Most of your actual martial arts like kickboxing or whatever will be only tangentially relevant since you don't have a human adversary.
    Best Vietnam War music video I've ever seen put together by a vet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDY8raKsdfg

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aikido.

Nothing you say can convince me otherwise!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    You are dead, period. They grab you by the back of the neck or throat, end of story.

Mountain Lions (aka Cougar) take down full grown deer and elk. Ever tried to wrestle even a small deer to the ground, let alone a pissed off buck? I have...forget about it.
    How did you find yourself in a situation where you had to wrestle a pissed off buck...I mean from what I read those things can kill a man too if they really wanted to.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gileanofgrey View Post
    How did you find yourself in a situation where you had to wrestle a pissed off buck...
    **** happens when you party naked.

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    According to my research the best way to deal with a mountain lion is to be a loudmouthed posturing douche who fishhooks dudes at the earliest opportunity. I'm not joking. I you see one and you are anywhere near close to it you want to make a lot of noise, try to look as big as you can (spread arms, flare jacket if that's an option) If you are already huge from bodybuilding I guess that could theoretically help, If you are still alive at all when the thing tackles you grab the webbing at the back at the hinge of its jaw to keep it from finishing the job for a few seconds. But let's be real, you will never see it coming, that is how they hunt.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gileanofgrey View Post
    How did you find yourself in a situation where you had to wrestle a pissed off buck...I mean from what I read those things can kill a man too if they really wanted to.
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Account is lifted from this page: http://www.cougarinfo.org/attacks2.htm

24 May. 28-year-old Phil Anderson was attacked by an approximately 80 pound mountain lion near Whiskey Bend Trailhead, along Wolf Creek Trail in the Elwah Valley of Olympic National Park, about 20 miles west of Port Angeles, Washington. The lion moved out of the shadows "smoothly and quickly". A mountain biker and wrestler, Anderson first ran backwards but fought when it leapt on his chest. Anderson fell to his back, locked his legs around the cougar, flipped over and buried his thumbs in the animal's throat and choked the cat in and out of consciousness. He kept the front paws pinned back with his forearms. After about two and a half or three minutes, the cat still wriggling, got Anderson's thumb in its mouth and smashed it. That gave the cat the edge. Anderson lost his grip, and the cat's claws went into a whirl and managed to rip through his thick sweatshirt in a couple of places, giving Anderson puncture wounds to the chest in addition to the puncture wound to his thumb. Not wanting more, the lion then fled. Park Rangers declined to hunt down the lion, stating that having so many lions in that area would make it difficult to know which one it was. Sources: (Read his account HERE from the Peninsula Daily News; by Mike Dawson; 05/26/1996) (Washington Dept of Fish and Wildlife report, 05/26/1996)
    I actually met this guy in my BJJ class in Seattle about a year after this account. You could still see the scars on his chest at that point. He had been a high school and college wrestler and had instinctively rolled, mounted, and pinned it and then really didn't have an endgame. He eventually pushed it away from him and it went about 15 away and sat down and just looked at him. He described it as a small 80 pound male, young, dumb, and hungry, Phil was probably 160 or so.

Page 7 of 8 First ... 345678 Last